Sweet Potato Preparation

Options

Replies

• mrg68
    mrg68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love steaming them in the microwave. Stab them a couple of times though or cook them in the oven like a baked potato. Sweet ones cook faster though. Then I just fork them up a little, maybe spray some spray butter on them with a little salt. For lunch, I often steam some asparagus as well and top the sweet potato with the asparagus. A very clean, quick, and filling meal!!!
  • OrganicNotes
    Options
    I have tried Sweet Potato Pancakes [+Cinnamon], Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Baked Sweet Potato Fries [Thick-Cut], and Simple, Baked Sweet Potatoes. One comment mentioned trying them Scalloped, and that sounds Delicious! My favorite spice combinations would have to be.. Cinnamon + Stevia for a sweeter taste, and Spicy Chipotle Seasonings if you're craving something salty. Get creative! They adapt well to most any type of flavor, and the fries are wonderful when dipped in BBQ sauce !
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do a LOT with them - but I like to dry roast mine (baked without any oil/fats) and pop them in the fridge and have them available for snacking.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with spoonful of plain greek yoghurt and sprinkle of pepper. It's the perfect combination of sweet (potato) and tart (yoghurt).
  • ekourany
    ekourany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sure - you can definitely put them in the microwave. anywhere from 4 - 8 minutes
  • an2860
    an2860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ijavagypsy
    ijavagypsy Posts: 109
    Options
    When I want something filling and evil, I oven-roast them w/garlic salt after tossing with a little olive oil. Very high in carbs but significant food value. Also, incredibly flavorful and delicious!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I eat them in raw form for a crunchy snack....
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR GOODNESS
  • tigers217
    tigers217 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine for about 5 minutes (depends on the size) and just eat it. I don't put anything on them. I love the natural flavor.
    This is what I usually do as well. Or top them with beans and salsa.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: foodbump :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • orandkat
    orandkat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yummy
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into slices and place on a aluminum foil covered baking tray
    heat the over to 350 degrees
    lightly cover each slice with extra virgin coconut oil
    sprinkly on some ground cinnamon
    let bake for an hour

:) delicious
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    baked sweet potatoes
    baked potatoe fries
  • Steph_123
    Steph_123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wrap mine in aluminum foil, stab it a few times with a fork, and bake it at 350° for about an hour (or more if I forget about it). It turns really soft and the natural sugar caramelizes! I usually add salt, pepper, and a small sprinkle of brown sugar (both sweet and savory :)), and if it's not soft enough in the middle then a very small amount of butter (like less than 1/4 tbsp)
  • workoutbarbie29
    workoutbarbie29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I stab them a couple of times and toss in the microwave for 6 or seven minutes. While they cook, dump a can of rotel tomatoes and a can of black beans in pot and cook on medium. I spice them with chipotle, cumin, salt and coriander. Then cook up a couple of pieces of turkey bacon. Slice open your potato and top with bean mix, bacon and I usually add some cheese. 15 minutes and dinner's on. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cubed and roasted. Delicious. Even better with some minced onion and other root veggies.

Or sliced and baked like chips...but that's tricky. You need to get the slices uniform and there's about a 45 second timeframe where they're just right and not under- or overcooked.

(Oh, and in because I have fond memories of an infamous sweet pertaterz thread.)