why cheat?

Options
This is simply a rant but I hate hearing people talk about their cheat days. This doesn't make any sense. You work you but off to lose weight then admittedly sabotage it and for what? Flavor? Wooo! That last about 4 minutes. Now in not referring to people who at at or near goal weight, it then becomes a personal choice for maintenance. I am also not referring to people who have a bad day because who hasn't? What im talking about are the people who have a lot of weight to lose who plan on eating like crap on a weekly basis. These are the same people who whine because they have only lost x amount of weight in x amount of time. Lose the weight and then eat like crap. Right now you are trying to lose weight, not maintain so quit destroying your work for food, thats why we all got fat in the first place...

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Many people are more interested in learning how to eat in a sustainable way, which includes enjoying all kinds of food and not just "diet" food, WHILE they are losing weight. Trying to figure it out/re-learn how to enjoy those foods sensibly once you're ready to maintain is way harder. Also, not restricting/cutting out fave foods while losing weight helps many people with adherence, since they don't feel deprived. My meals regularly include things like pizza, ice cream, chocolate, baked goods, bbq, bacon, etc. etc...I don't consider those "cheats"; I consider them "real life". And it hasn't hurt my progress one bit.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Many people are more interested in learning how to eat in a sustainable way, which includes enjoying all kinds of food and not just "diet" food, WHILE they are losing weight. Trying to figure it out/re-learn how to enjoy those foods sensibly once you're ready to maintain is way harder. Also, not restricting/cutting out fave foods while losing weight helps many people with adherence, since they don't feel deprived.

QFT ^^^^^^^^^ this x 100

: )
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Aww, somebody's being sanctimonious. (: If they're having success, let them be. It's a lot easier to have a planned "fall of the wagon" moment than to wait until you just can't take it anymore.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.. im not saying cut out anything, thats why I love this site but to plan on eating 1000s of calories over your goal is sabotage, is it not? Eat anything you want but in moderation, not over endulgence
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    In my experience, we all got fat for different reasons in the past. People have different relationships with food and eat in different ways and for different reasons. For those of us who are emotional eaters and feel deprived on a diet (psychologically, not physically) a planned cheat day can be comforting, like a security blanket. I had one a week when I was starting out. If you don't need them then great! But some of us feel like we do. Maybe they'll grow out of it, maybe they won't. But that's their choice to make. Their goals, their bodies, their lives.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat week every few months... where I still eat mostly healthy, I just don't watch carbs but stay at calories. Otherwise I get burnt out, and frankly, my husband likes his lasagne, and I'm not cooking a whole meal I cant eat, lol.

I think a cheat day once a week is too frequent. Maybe one cheat snack a week.....
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I completely agree.. im not saying cut out anything, thats why I love this site but to plan on eating 1000s of calories over your goal is sabotage, is it not? Eat anything you want but in moderation, not over endulgence

Er...I eat 3000 cals every 14 days or so...I get fatigued and generally cranky if I don't...I have been steadily losing fat...again, if it is planned and is not a daily habit then it helps one stick to the regimented calorie counting and hitting macro targets...makes life more enjoyable, not a chore...
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I saw a post, last week I think, of someone who was planning a 5,000 calorie day. I'm not sure why they were going for that specific calorie amount, but to me that would undermine any progress I had. I can understand maybe going out having a little 'extra' of something, but that 5,000 calorie day just confused me.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight and then eat like crap. Right now you are trying to lose weight, not maintain so quit destroying your work for food, thats why we all got fat in the first place...

Nah, I only got fat with my pregnancies and lost it every single time.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days, I just have an enjoy a special meal or treat time.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on what your calorie goal is set to. Some people have their goal really low, and if they don't incorporate a cheat day, then they end up binging.

I personally don't need one. Occasionally, I'll have a day or 2 where I eat at maintenance, but I don't consider them cheat days. These just happen to be days where I go out with family or friends and just part of life. Any other time, I eat what I want as long as I stick to within 100 calories (over or under) my goal. :tongue:
  • closenre
    Options

Er...I eat 3000 cals every 14 days or so...I get fatigued and generally cranky if I don't...I have been steadily losing fat...again, if it is planned and is not a daily habit then it helps one stick to the regimented calorie counting and hitting macro targets...makes life more enjoyable, not a chore...

Which is fine.. your 6 lbs away.. im talking about 100 lbs or more.. the. Complain that this isnt working.. I understand we all have our ways but when I try to talk to people or give advice about how I lost the weight it gets annoying hearing how they plan on eating 4000 calories on saturday or whatever.. just getting off my chest but I love the replies... lol
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options

But a cheat day doesn't have to be thousands over. As was mentioned above, I try to integrate foods I like into my macros and calorie goals, but if I want to have a cheat day, generally I'm eating mostly crappy foods (pizza, nachos, booze, etc) and just going at or slightly over my TDEE. That is, if on a normal day I eat 1600-1800 and on a "cheat" day, I may eat 2400-2500...
  • closenre
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I saw a post, last week I think, of someone who was planning a 5,000 calorie day. I'm not sure why they were going for that specific calorie amount, but to me that would undermine any progress I had. I can understand maybe going out having a little 'extra' of something, but that 5,000 calorie day just confused me.

This! Exactly.. I know the post you are talking about!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options

actually there is some evidence that this resets your body. but there are alot of different plans - currently I am not doing a cheat meal, and am good, but I could foresee adding it into my schedule if I need a change up.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This is simply a rant but I hate hearing people talk about their cheat days. This doesn't make any sense. You work you but off to lose weight then admittedly sabotage it and for what? Flavor? Wooo! That last about 4 minutes. Now in not referring to people who at at or near goal weight, it then becomes a personal choice for maintenance. I am also not referring to people who have a bad day because who hasn't? What im talking about are the people who have a lot of weight to lose who plan on eating like crap on a weekly basis. These are the same people who whine because they have only lost x amount of weight in x amount of time. Lose the weight and then eat like crap. Right now you are trying to lose weight, not maintain so quit destroying your work for food, thats why we all got fat in the first place...

It helps some people with adherence if they allow themselves a free day. The theory behind this is that flexible dieting is easier to maintain over the long term than rigid exclusionary diets.

You could argue as to whether that is the best variety of flexible dieting. There are definitely alternatives, such as IIFYM (=daily treats within dietary reason) and two-week diet breaks. But that's why people do it.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    A true lifestyle change would not need all these "cheat days" if your going out for a family meal exercise your *kitten* off and earn the calories before you go! hence.... no cheat day. A usual day where you can complete your diary and still be green on calories.
  • PhoenixGT13
    PhoenixGT13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try to factor mini-cheats into my day every so often -- I still stay under my calorie allotment. For instance, yesterday I knew I would be in Princeton where The Bent Spoon has amazing flavors of artisan ice cream. So I made sure to get my exercise in and ate a light supper so that a small cup of ice cream would not tip me over. Is this really a terrible thing, if I'm still in my calorie allotment?
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I set out to have a "cheat day" yesterday and wound up taking in fewer calories than I did the previous day. I get what you're saying though. My definition of "cheat day" seems to have become "eat out" instead of preparing my own meals.

I wouldn't go out of my way to set up a time to eat way more calories than I usually do, but if it works for other people, I'm not going to judge them for it.

When I first starting eating better, I wouldn't have trusted myself near certain foods/places, so it's actually become a nice display of growth and self-control that I can do it once in a while without freaking out.