why cheat?

Options

Replies

• Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Many people are more interested in learning how to eat in a sustainable way, which includes enjoying all kinds of food and not just "diet" food, WHILE they are losing weight. Trying to figure it out/re-learn how to enjoy those foods sensibly once you're ready to maintain is way harder. Also, not restricting/cutting out fave foods while losing weight helps many people with adherence, since they don't feel deprived. My meals regularly include things like pizza, ice cream, chocolate, baked goods, bbq, bacon, etc. etc...I don't consider those "cheats"; I consider them "real life". And it hasn't hurt my progress one bit.

^^this, I don't deprive myself of anything, eat in moderation , I don't want to be cranky, LOL :tongue:
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    my right hand cheats on my left
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have that extra 250-500 calories at the end of the week and keep going as a lifestyle than give up in 2 months because I can't take it anymore. No cheat meal > lower morale, lower morale > giving up.

so true

My hubby and I have lost over 200 lbs between us and we did it by promising ourselves a trip to the bakery on the weekend if we were good all week. Is this a cheat? well, yes, if you count anything that is not diet food as a cheat, but not if it is the thing that keeps you from craving all week and quitting at the end of the month.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    *points to ticker*

How bout you do you, and I'll do me? Sound good? Great.

yes, do me...now!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    As long as your 7 day net is still deficit, there's nothing wrong with a cheat day. Food taste good. Eating food is enjoyable, and should be.

If you do not take pleasure in food, then you're probably eating the wrong things anyways. Life is all about balance, not extremes.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    WHY DO PEOPLE DO THINGS THAT FEEL GOOD IN THE SHORT TERM?! WHY? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND?? D:< OPINIONS!

Um... because they feel good? I mean, I'm just making a guess here, but that could be a reason.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating but obviously some of us aren't as perfect as you are to keep it together.:tongue:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    k-medium.gif
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I saw a post, last week I think, of someone who was planning a 5,000 calorie day. I'm not sure why they were going for that specific calorie amount, but to me that would undermine any progress I had. I can understand maybe going out having a little 'extra' of something, but that 5,000 calorie day just confused me.

That woman was 5'1 and 91 pounds with a goal of gaining weight. Her 'cheat' day does not have the same implication of someone elses cheat day.

Also 5000 isn't that much: I once ate a whole coldstone cake in a day which is roughly 6000 calories (and delicious.) and still had dinner later. I'm always skeptical of people who are all "Oh my gosh 2000-3000-5000 is just so much food!" Nah, not really.

And now I want coldstone.

....a whole cake is a lot of food for anyone and EXTREMELY unhealthy...that's more sugar tahn you should probably consume in a month let alone in one sitting...

so you are somehow justifying eating a whole cake in one day...????? Wowzers..and we wonder why 55% of the country is obese...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I guess I am ore of a n IIFYM kind of person..if there is something that I really want - like pizza, chicken parm, etc - then I will try to plan and fit it into my macro/calorie goal for the day; but if I go over my calorie goal for the day by a couple hundred it is no biggie...Maybe I am a better cook then some but I actually find the healthy meals that I cook during the week to be very good and I really do not have a desire for anything else...

I do think that there is an issue with planning a whole "day" where one will blow out calories by 6000 or eats a whole cake or or five gallons of ice cream something like that ...but that is just my humble opinion...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from. I saw a post, last week I think, of someone who was planning a 5,000 calorie day. I'm not sure why they were going for that specific calorie amount, but to me that would undermine any progress I had. I can understand maybe going out having a little 'extra' of something, but that 5,000 calorie day just confused me.

That woman was 5'1 and 91 pounds with a goal of gaining weight. Her 'cheat' day does not have the same implication of someone elses cheat day.

Also 5000 isn't that much: I once ate a whole coldstone cake in a day which is roughly 6000 calories (and delicious.) and still had dinner later. I'm always skeptical of people who are all "Oh my gosh 2000-3000-5000 is just so much food!" Nah, not really.

....a whole cake is a lot of food for anyone and EXTREMELY unhealthy...that's more sugar tahn you should probably consume in a month let alone in one sitting...

so you are somehow justifying eating a whole cake in one day...????? Wowzers..and we wonder why 55% of the country is obese...

I'm not obese (I'm just skirting the edge of overweight/healthy if you believe in the BMI chart is one size fit all. Which I don't, but I digress) so you're assessment is invalid.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't call it cheating but obviously some of us aren't as perfect as you are to keep it together.:tongue:
    Good one! I love subtle insults.. hehe you ppl make my day!
  • Thadreamer87
    Options
    I have alot of weight to lose and I don't believe in "cheat days". It only slows you down from achieving your goal. I do think slip ups happen tho and when that happens you just have to get right back on it and move forward.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm not obese (I'm just skirting the edge of overweight/healthy if you believe in the BMI chart is one size fit all. Which I don't, but I digress) so you're assessment is invalid.

ummm I never said anything about BMI...I said we are now somehow justifying eating a whole cake? And my point was, with that kind of mentality it is no wonder that 55% of the county is obese...I did not say you and I never indicated you were in that percentile...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I guess I am ore of a n IIFYM kind of person..if there is something that I really want - like pizza, chicken parm, etc - then I will try to plan and fit it into my macro/calorie goal for the day; but if I go over my calorie goal for the day by a couple hundred it is no biggie...Maybe I am a better cook then some but I actually find the healthy meals that I cook during the week to be very good and I really do not have a desire for anything else...

I do think that there is an issue with planning a whole "day" where one will blow out calories by 6000 or eats a whole cake or or five gallons of ice cream something like that ...but that is just my humble opinion...

Chicken parm is something you can't normally fit in your macros and cook yourself? Do you think chicken parm is unhealthy? I'm an alright cook and I can easily fit chicken parm in anyday of the week
  • Achrya
    Options

ummm I never said anything about BMI...I said we are now somehow justifying eating a whole cake? And my point was, with that kind of mentality it is no wonder that 55% of the county is obese...I did not say you and I never indicated you were in that percentile...

You're implying that my mentality (as I'm the one who ate the whole cake and am willing to justify it/not hate myself after the fact) leads to obesity or is in some way related to people being obese. I am not obese, so you have nothing to base your assessment that the mentality I exhibit leads to obesity. Nor, by the way, do you have any idea of the mentality or thought pattern of most obese people in this country. You have no idea if they believe, as a group, that eating a whole ice cream cake in a day is reasonable or not.

You trying to make a snide remark about obese people, implying that they must be sitting at home eating entire cakes, based off my story, and I don't appreciate logical fallacies with my statements at the crux.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You're implying that my mentality (as I'm the one who ate the whole cake and am willing to justify it/not hate myself after the fact) leads to obesity or is in some way related to people being obese. I am not obese, so you have nothing to base your assessment that the mentality I exhibit leads to obesity. Nor, by the way, do you have any idea of the mentality or thought pattern of most obese people in this country. You have no idea if they believe, as a group, that eating a whole ice cream cake in a day is reasonable or not.

You trying to make a snide remark about obese people, implying that they must be sitting at home eating entire cakes, based off my story, and I don't appreciate logical fallacies with my statements at the crux.

right , so eating a whole chocolate cake in a day is a "good eating habit"
  • Achrya
    Options

right , so eating a whole chocolate cake in a day is a "good eating habit"

Who said anything about good eating habits? I just said that your snide remark about how my mentality is somehow related to obesity or shared by enough obese people that it could be considered a factor is a logical fallacy,

Also chocolate cake is disgusting. I'm offended at the notion.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Chicken parm is something you can't normally fit in your macros and cook yourself? Do you think chicken parm is unhealthy? I'm an alright cook and I can easily fit chicken parm in anyday of the week

^ Lol @ alright cook.

and I have a much lower cal goal than him and I can also fit chicken parm in any day of the week, and I do, regularly.