Would you date someone considerably less intelligent?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't. I already have to dumb myself down for most people to avoid sounding like a pompous *kitten*. If I had to do it in a relationship, things would not last long. I have a strong personality and I don't want to mentally dominate the person I am with.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    If they can't even have a conversation on the same level as me, how can I expect a relationship to work? Unless they are willing to learn...
  • JessieJanie
    JessieJanie Posts: 428
    Options
    Nope. I love smart men.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Idk...based on past experiences I think my own intelligence has been called into question :embarassed:
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    yes as long as she fits my macros
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    If they can't even have a conversation on the same level as me, how can I expect a relationship to work? Unless they are willing to learn...

That's a pretty high pedestal you're putting yourself on...
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Young people also overestimate their wisdom on things pertaining to life!

Very true. I thought I knew a lot about life when I was 20. Now that I'm 36 and married with a kid I realize I didn't know crap. I think sometimes young people equate grades and a degree to intelligence but they don't always correlate. Not to mention a lot of times wisdom while living life serves you better than intelligence.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the logic behind this question. I'm not a smart dude really. But if someone like Stephen Hawking could marry down. Anyone could marry up. Right? May take a while to bring them up, or down, to your level.

Eh.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No, just no.

I already have a kid with someone who is intelligently inferior. I swear I lose IQ points every time he opens his mouth. But, he was hot, built, and has money.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the logic behind this question. I'm not a smart dude really. But if someone like Stephen Hawking could marry down. Anyone could marry up. Right? May take a while to bring them up, or down, to your level.

Eh.

The problem is that if there is that big of a gap and you're not willing to take the other person as they are, it's fairly unlikely that the person will have the capacity or desire to be brought up to the other's level.

I think it's fairly unlikely that a genius level person would date a average or lower than average person because they probably would have very different lifestyles and goals in life.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have no choice in the matter. It's sad, really.

I suffer with the same plight. :wink: :laugh:
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My husband has a PhD and I just have a B.S., so I guess you can say he's more intelligent than me. But, then again I have more common sense. I tell him that he couldn't find his way out of a paper bag with a map and a flashlight, and that's why he has me around. He's smart enough to agree with that.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My husband has a PhD and I just have a B.S., so I guess you can say he's more intelligent than me. But, then again I have more common sense. I tell him that he couldn't find his way out of a paper bag with a map and a flashlight, and that's why he has me around. He's smart enough to agree with that.

Education =/= Intelligence

Some of the most intelligent people I know never set foot in college.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you quantify intelligence. My bf of 3 years is dyslexic and had a hard time in school, eventually dropping out and getting his G.E.D. His handwriting is atrocious, he can't spell, and he isn't well read. However, he can do math in his head much better than I can, he is great with technology and mechanics and he is always fun to talk to even when we disagree on subjects. Most people who meet him would not consider him very smart, but there is much more to him than that. With that being said, my answer is yes.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I married a cheerleader..... Nuff said.

I married a football player...nuff said.

I'm seeing a great episode of "Wife Swap" in our future. :bigsmile:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    How do you even judge that? I have no clue and have probably been both the smarter and dumber in my relationships. Meh.

If you have no clue you are probably the dumb one. lol JK!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course...... if my husband would just allow me to date!
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd for a while, but it'd be TOO boring.
  • naturesgate
    naturesgate Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date someone that I couldn't have an intelligent conversation with.

Intelligence is hot.

^This