Would you date someone considerably less intelligent?

Options

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty high IQ and have actually dated UP. It was interesting. I could hold my own in conversation, and learned a lot, but was occasionally intimidated by his intelligence (lower level genius IQ). We did have a lot of fun, though.

It really depends on the person for me. I won't rule someone out unless they truly can't hold a conversation or have no passion for anything.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    no, because I like and value intelligent conversation too much. my husband is a physics nerd and also an expert on all things historical. I'm a biology nerd and into all things palaeoanthropological. this makes for the most interesting conversations.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    no, because I like and value intelligent conversation too much. my husband is a physics nerd and also an expert on all things historical. I'm a biology nerd and into all things palaeoanthropological. this makes for the most interesting conversations.

I would probably be completely and utterly fascinated by your dinner conversation :P
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    no. i did it once and i really regret it. just being with him for two years, my vocabulary suffered, my interests suffered, and i wasn't as happy.
  • dysonspacz
    dysonspacz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bang? If they're HAWT, yes.

Date? I have in the past but not very long.

I'm a sucker for someone who can walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I love every post in here that says 'no' but is riddled with rudimentary grammatical inaccuracy.

If we're splitting hairs, wouldn't "inaccuracies" work better here, due to the visual implied by "riddled?"

I know, I know. Bring on Colonel Klink.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I love every post in here that says 'no' but is riddled with rudimentary grammatical inaccuracy.

If we're splitting hairs, wouldn't "inaccuracies" work better here, due to the visual implied by "riddled?"

That deserved a :flowerforyou: .
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I was in a relationship with a guy for a long time who was much more "book smart" than I was. Sometimes the way he talked was incredibly condescending. Often times, when I would do something he considered "smart" he would say something along the lines of "I'm so proud of you!" as if it were some big accomplishment. (Like turning the wheels of my car when I back out of my driveway because otherwise it scrapes the bottom.)

I don't consider myself to be dumb, but he certainly considered himself to be very smart/superior.

Now I'm in a relationship where I feel like we're completely equal. We can have intellectual conversations and both of us can stay on the same page instead of me feeling like I constantly have to try to catch up.

So, I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with dating someone "smarter" or "less intelligent" than you (whatever that means), but it's nice to be equal. :)
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I did once but never again. It is not cute to have to teach vocab to someone you are trying to have a relationship with.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

I think my my wife and are about equal on all quantifiable measures of intelligence.

"quantifiable measures of intelligence" these big words are hurting my head.

That too

No offense to the original poster, but in my experience when people make a point to use bigger words like that, it's because they're trying to sound smarter and better than they are.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have done in the past because he was so pretty but after a couple of months we ran out of things to talk about.

For the long term I need someone I can hold intelligent conversation with.
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I did once but never again. It is not cute to have to teach vocab to someone you are trying to have a relationship with.

Right!!! My ex wasn't anywhere near as smart as me.... I had to calculate the tips at restaurants/do the math on the bill, help him with spelling when he was typing a facebook update...it was kind of sad!! ((I'm not saying that I'm the smartest but I am way smarter than him LOL))
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've seen both sides of the spectrum. I dated a gym rat for awhile and while he was a sweetheart, it was frustrating that not only couldn't talk to him about my course work (I'm studying nuclear engineering) but he had no interest any way. I've since dated a guy who is incredibly book smart and another who, while he has no understanding of the tech things I'm into, is very common sense/street smart. And I love that:) I need someone who challenges me mentally
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

I think my my wife and are about equal on all quantifiable measures of intelligence.

define "date"
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would, but I'm married.

Thankfully, my wife did.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    No. Intellect is sexy and you can add common sense to that.
  • katiethedetermined1
    katiethedetermined1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't date someone that I couldn't have an intelligent conversation with.

This for sure! I have dated people that have their Masters and still were boring to have a conversation with.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    NO! I tried it and it just didnt work. no, no, no, no. I would explain things as simply as possible and the person could never wrap their head around it! I had to realize that some folks are operating at their maximum ability and the frustration from 'dumbing things down' about drove me CRAZY! :noway:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

It's so funny you mention that. I initially typed "inaccuracies" and my edit was to change it to singular. "Riddled" does express a plurality and "inaccuracy" is singular noun. "Inaccuracy," however, is the quality or state of being inaccurate, and/or having errors, usually more than one. It is a short inductive leap to then state that the word inaccuracy in this context describes the collective inaccuracy of the plurality of errors in the singular "every post" described, which are captured by the singular noun "inaccuracy" . . . or so I contend.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

"quantifiable measures of intelligence" these big words are hurting my head.

That too

No offense to the original poster, but in my experience when people make a point to use bigger words like that, it's because they're trying to sound smarter and better than they are.

I get accused of that, but really, I have trouble breaking it down into simpler terms.

Along the same vein, there are many words that are very similar, yet have slightly different meanings. Yet most people don't distinguish between them and treat them as synonyms. I try to be as accurate in my communications as possible. Sometimes, that means using a bigger word because it more adequately conveys what I am trying to say.

I think it comes from working with lawyers. You need to ensure you have the right words in any contractual agreement, MOU, etc. or you could just be giving away your entire position.