Death...what do you think about it--or do you?

Options

Replies

• bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yolo and then you die.

I have the feeling you haven't been touched by death a lot yet.. One day when death does come and visit you, or worse, one of your loved ones, I hope you remember you posted this. To give you an example, I'm sitting here at my desk, reading your post, looking at my mom's devotional picture who passed away two weeks ago and just shake my head.

i don't think that is fair to say. i have witnessed death (the suicide i posted about), been beside my grandfather at his bedside as he died slowly over a couple of weeks, been to a funeral for the daughter of my cousin who was only 7 but had serious developmental complications her whole life, been to the funeral of a friend in high school who was hit by a train, my partners grandmothers funeral, my great uncle, my ex-boyfriend has passed away.

and i am really of the mindframe that we are too insignificant to know if there is anything after. i completely agree with the simplicity of it. yolo...and then you die.

It's not about the simplicity. This kid didn't post it because he was being sincere, but because he thought he was being funny. That may be so, but I think its pretty harsh. There are different ways to express that you live and then you die (which is exactly what I wrote earlier). Its about the manner in which you show respect about the subject.

And just to be clear, from where I'm standing, its very fair to say.

everyone accepts death in different ways, and tones.

my condolences to you and your family
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Growing up I didn't lost anyone close to me until I was in my twenty's. My first brush with death was when an online friend who I had known for years. We shared a lot of common interest and would talk about movies, shows, car stuff, etc. He was in his early 20's when he died. It was the first time I started questioning death and mortality in a serious way.

My father died when I was 27 but he had been hospitalized and in declining health for 7-8 years and had many brushes with death. We (the family) become oblivious to it. When he was sicker than usual it was just another normal routine to go to the hospital for a month. While my dad tried to turn his life around it was unfortunately way too late. He died due to a heart attack and when he died I went into a VERY bad downward spiral.

It took me some time and going through some life altering changes to accept that death is just something that happens and we shouldn't focus on it. We should instead focus on the time we have here and make sure that our loved ones understand what they mean to us.

When I die I won't care who cries at my funeral or even who knows. I'd be more interested to see the ways I touched people that I didn't even know what I had done.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a kid I don't think I would worry about it. But...since my daughter is only 2, and really I'm the only responsible (young) adult in her life I'm really all she has. Her dad is ummm... he is there and he is a good dad I guess, but he is the 'fun' dad. Both grandmothers and grandfathers are not involved & although great grandmothers are alive they're in their late 70s.

I'm not going to lie it does worry me. But not because I'm scared of whatever happens after life, but my daughter's life after I'm gone.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    These are such thought provoking posts. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your replies! :flowerforyou:
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun or the rain"--neither should we.
    However, I do believe that we continue to exist beyond death; I just don't know how. Nothing ever really dies.

:flowerforyou:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yolo and then you die.

I have the feeling you haven't been touched by death a lot yet.. One day when death does come and visit you, or worse, one of your loved ones, I hope you remember you posted this. To give you an example, I'm sitting here at my desk, reading your post, looking at my mom's devotional picture who passed away two weeks ago and just shake my head.

i don't think that is fair to say. i have witnessed death (the suicide i posted about), been beside my grandfather at his bedside as he died slowly over a couple of weeks, been to a funeral for the daughter of my cousin who was only 7 but had serious developmental complications her whole life, been to the funeral of a friend in high school who was hit by a train, my partners grandmothers funeral, my great uncle, my ex-boyfriend has passed away.

and i am really of the mindframe that we are too insignificant to know if there is anything after. i completely agree with the simplicity of it. yolo...and then you die.

It's not about the simplicity. This kid didn't post it because he was being sincere, but because he thought he was being funny. That may be so, but I think its pretty harsh. There are different ways to express that you live and then you die (which is exactly what I wrote earlier). Its about the manner in which you show respect about the subject.

I appreciate what you're trying to say here, but you seem to be missing the point.. It's not about accepting death in a different way. It's not about the simplicity of death. It's about a kid randomly posting on a thread with a delicate subject and not giving a crap. Just someone trying to be funny and popular. Maybe this isn't the right thread...

There are going to be people on this thread that have lost someone and are still hurting, and find that 'Yolo and then you die' does not cover the subject.

I for one have watched my mother, who was 63 and hadn't been sick one day in 10 years, battle cancer. Being eaten by her own body. Being in severe pains. Wanting to fight it, wanting to live and take care of her 3 kids. Losing half of her bodyweight. Losing her hair. I've watched her not being able to stand up anymore, not being able to leave her bed. Being in agonising pain despite all the morfine. Still wanting to live and just staring out the window to the sunshine and people passing by on their bike. Holding her hand when she decided enough is enough and she wanted euthanasia. The last minutes we talked, about what we were going to eat for dinner (she still asked to make sure her kids were eating!), saying our goodbyes, kissing, hugging, crying. And then 'poof'. She was gone. Standing at her grave (that you picked out for her yourself and lowering her casket in it) and realising you can't talk to your mom ever again.

Yeah, 'Yolo and then you die" doesn't really cover the subject imo.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Yolo and then you die.

I appreciate what you're trying to say here, but you seem to be missing the point.. It's not about accepting death in a different way. It's not about the simplicity of death. It's about a kid randomly posting on a thread with a delicate subject and not giving a crap. Just someone trying to be funny and popular. Maybe this isn't the right thread...

There are going to be people on this thread that have lost someone and are still hurting, and find that 'Yolo and then you die' does not cover the subject.

I for one have watched my mother, who was 63 and hadn't been sick one day in 10 years, battle cancer. Being eaten by her own body. Being in severe pains. Wanting to fight it, wanting to live and take care of her 3 kids. Losing half of her bodyweight. Losing her hair. I've watched her not being able to stand up anymore, not being able to leave her bed. Being in agonising pain despite all the morfine. Still wanting to live and just staring out the window to the sunshine and people passing by on their bike. Holding her hand when she decided enough is enough and she wanted euthanasia. The last minutes we talked, about what we were going to eat for dinner (she still asked to make sure her kids were eating!), saying our goodbyes, kissing, hugging, crying. And then 'poof'. She was gone. Standing at her grave (that you picked out for her yourself and lowering her casket in it) and realising you can't talk to your mom ever again.

Yeah, 'Yolo and then you die" doesn't really cover the subject imo.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ ZealousMissJJ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I don't dwell on it much. I have a much different view and it doesn't go into religion, the mystical, or any of that.

I won't go into it here, as it tends to upset people.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    the only known cause of death is being alive in the first place. Fear not death for it is only the dead who can not make any mistakes, in death we ultimately make room for another life, it is the greatest gift of all.

MFP- shiny happy people
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVntnVoeGS8ojOog6fuzeYQUlqmf-Vwd4OQ-TlBWHfurA_U7Mm
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

cake or death... HAHAHAHAHA
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

death by chocolate.

and i still stand by the 'yolo. and then you die' statement that the other mfp user made. It could have been said with grief. As someone who doesn't believe in god, I really do agree with what they said. All the words that get tangled in my sentiments don't quite summarize it as well as that one liner.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

I'll take cake! Gotta love Eddie Izzard
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I look forward to it... not in a morbid way or want it to happen, but to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.... No fears!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I plan on living until at leeeast 100 years old. Sooo fork up my Social Security Government. And 95% of all the tax $ I have donated (At Times Of War, Haah. Right) Im living to get my $ back..... And so I may take one of those "So Called" annual vacations. Some of you people take those. Guess it lasts about a week, and you go to some island, and rest a bit on the beach. So I better take care of myself, to be the fittest 65 year old woman you'd ever seen, on the beach, in a bathing suit, with a Pina Colada. :wink: Guess I sound a little old and grumpy now. And Im a mere 47 years old! Haaah. :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I look forward to it... not in a morbid way or want it to happen, but to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.... No fears!

I "KNOW" and am confident that's right...for SURE!!!!! Thanks for posting this.

:happy: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :happy:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I plan on living until at leeeast 100 years old. Sooo fork up my Social Security Government. And 95% of all the tax $ I have donated (At Times Of War, Haah. Right) Im living to get my $ back..... And so I may take one of those "So Called" annual vacations. Some of you people take those. Guess it lasts about a week, and you go to some island, and rest a bit on the beach. So I better take care of myself, to be the fittest 65 year old woman you'd ever seen, on the beach, in a bathing suit, with a Pina Colada. :wink: Guess I sound a little old and grumpy now. And Im a mere 47 years old! Haaah. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :drinker: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian so naturally I know I'm going to heaven. However, that does not mean I want to go now. I think you shouldn't worry about dying and live everyday to the fullest.

Naturally.
  • Kathy_TheVampireSlayer
    Kathy_TheVampireSlayer Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i know a lot of old people like that, when you get really old, i guess its just a given.... it happens. sooooo you just have to live with the inevitable. =^.^=
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I think some day it will get me.