Atkins/lowcarb anyone?

Options

Replies

• wigglingalltheway
    Options
    Low carb was life changing for me, all the struggles with loosing weight are just gone.

As for cravings I have personally found that after 3-4 months of it I actually dont like bread, pizza pasta etc any more. My taste has completely changed and I eat some vegs now that I have hated all my life.

On the water weight thing. This is true but its only a few pounds. I have seen it myself where I have had to go back to carbs at social events and you do gain back 2-3 pounds instantly but it always goes within days. The weight its just muscle and liver glygogen and bonded water.

I highly recommend a book called the truth about low carb diets. It sorts out the BS and Fluff said by both the pro and anti camps and explains things like water loss exactly. Its good to understand why carb restriction works and why eating the level that we do in the west with all our flour based products has caused the problems it has.
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The problem with Atkins is that is an unsustainable diet. It works to be sure, but are you going to live your life on it? I would suggest trying the Metabolic Diet.

In a nutshell, it's high fat/protein and low carb (30gms a day) five days a week. On the weekend you carb load and can eat just about anything you want. You have to finagle a bit to find your particular caloric and carbohydrate set point. Once you figure that out, the fat will come off without catabolizing any hard earned muscle and you will have a much better physique than someone that just diets down and cardios their butts off.

The diet was written by a physician and world class power lifter, Dr. Maureo DiPasquale, so he knows the science and health benefits behind it.

I'm 4 weeks into it and enjoying the heck out of it. I get all my carbs from fibrous vegetables and some whole wheat bread during the week. On the weekends I can have pizza and beer if I want.

The mental aspect is the eternal "diet killer". If you can restrict yourself for 5 days, knowing that the weekend brings relief, it's a lot easier to stay on and succeed. At least it is for me.
  • wigglingalltheway
    Options
    I can see the benefit with that in that it keeps your body guessing too which I would bet helps prevent stalling.
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I can see the benefit with that in that it keeps your body guessing too which I would bet helps prevent stalling.

That's exactly right. Just as your body adapts to a certain amount of calories and macros, you change it up with carbs and higher calories which causes a metabolic spike.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I did atkins and I've lost 15 lbs or so at best,but the problem about all this diet is that it works for a while then you gotta ask, can you sustain this for the rest of your life. It didn't for me. I do low carb, but most importantly, slow carbs, black beans , lentils, and gobs of veggies. I'd just eat smarter. if you can do that, I think it is better than any diet in the world.
  • smvarnam08
    smvarnam08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't do diets because they don't work. If you eat right and exercise the weight will come off. Nothing wrong with lowering your carb intake, just make sure its not to low. If its too low your body is not getting even glucose to fuel basically every tissue in your body and you start breaking down muscle to use as fuel.

Try having a thyroid issue and see how that works out... what is eating "right" anyway?! It's different for each person. I have friends that eat 3000+ calories per day (not healthy calories either---- lots of junk food) and are rail thin, don't exercise, etc. Everyone's body is different and I think you need to figure out what works for you. I am trying paleo myself now as I have tried several other things, and because I am already dairy and gluten intolerant, it seems to be a good eating plan to avoid both of those food groups.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love the atkins diet when I am REALLY doing it. Right now I am doing low carb and I love it. I am losing my cravings for sugar and to me that is great! Please feel free to add me for support and motivation! #Happy losing all :-)
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am currently on day five of Induction if anyone would like an extra like-minded friend feel free to add me :)
  • mairetc
    mairetc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to say I like the sound of this, must look into it. Were you following any diet before you started this four weeks ago, just wondering how long it would take to figure out the weekend balance bit.

The problem with Atkins is that is an unsustainable diet. It works to be sure, but are you going to live your life on it? I would suggest trying the Metabolic Diet.

In a nutshell, it's high fat/protein and low carb (30gms a day) five days a week. On the weekend you carb load and can eat just about anything you want. You have to finagle a bit to find your particular caloric and carbohydrate set point. Once you figure that out, the fat will come off without catabolizing any hard earned muscle and you will have a much better physique than someone that just diets down and cardios their butts off.

The diet was written by a physician and world class power lifter, Dr. Maureo DiPasquale, so he knows the science and health benefits behind it.

I'm 4 weeks into it and enjoying the heck out of it. I get all my carbs from fibrous vegetables and some whole wheat bread during the week. On the weekends I can have pizza and beer if I want.

The mental aspect is the eternal "diet killer". If you can restrict yourself for 5 days, knowing that the weekend brings relief, it's a lot easier to stay on and succeed. At least it is for me.
  • RubyBF
    RubyBF Posts: 4
    Options
    I did Atkins many years ago and felt off balance and had a hard time concentrating. As soon as I added carbs the weight came back on way too fast. I limit the number of breads I eat now, but I think eliminating them completely is a bit extreme and not sure if it is the healthiest way to go.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I eat Atkins and the occasional High protein Slim fast in addition to my Healthy Foods.

I am diabetic, and I wasn't eating enough/wrong stuff, and over time gained around 10 lbs a year.

All depends what you like, I totally <3 the Atkins Chocolate Caramel bar

They all come in handy when I'm on the road and I cant stop for snacks and lunch, Atkins is not an everyday thing, more of a convenience thing.
  • wiezinthejuice
    wiezinthejuice Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I low carb. Any low carbers feel free to add me! :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    This is one of those comments that kinda piss me off. Yes, if you do short term low carb you will lose a lot of water weight at first and will re-gain it all back when you add carbs back in. However, the proposition that I will re-gain 75 pounds that I lost by adding carbs back in my diet is preposterous. Granted, if I add carbs and go back to a 3500 calorie intake diet then yes, it is correct I will re-gain the weight. But this is the difference between losing weight and keeping weight off. They are two very distinct things.

Low carb diets are good for one thing: high fat and protein make you full faster with a lower caloric intake requirement. You can easily get full on 1300 calories in keto. You can't get full on 1300 calories of carbs.

I hear ya, low carbing can be a great idea for controlling cravings and hunger.

To apply a 'why restrict anything' mentality to all is short-sighted. Some people do benefit from macro restriction.

There is no magic metabolic benefit to low carbing but it can be a stepping stone to better nutrition IMO.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins diet of Heart Disease and was obese..please do your research..I would venture the Atkins diet is probably the worst and unhealthiest "diet" ever created...Just really KNOW what you are doing with it! good luck
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins many years ago and felt off balance and had a hard time concentrating. As soon as I added carbs the weight came back on way too fast. I limit the number of breads I eat now, but I think eliminating them completely is a bit extreme and not sure if it is the healthiest way to go.

See, this is an example of finding what works for you and what doesn't. I had the opposite effect when I went low carb. My concentration actually improved, along with my pain level, energy level, moods stabilized, etc.

When I go off plan for a couple of days and eat too many carbs, the brain fog, fatigue, and joint pain all returns with a vengeance and reminds me very quickly how my body prefers me to eat.

Processed sugars and grains are not friends to my body.

I do however get lots of non starch veggies in, and I go over my fiber goal every day. People who bash the low carb because of fiber issues are not informed as to exactly what low carb means. You do eat carbs, you just choose the right carbs. When you choose high fiber vegetables, you can get quite a bit of fiber in and stay under your carb goal. And you don't have to count the fiber grams towards your carb total for the day, as fiber is not processed by your body the same way that simple carbs are. If you eat 50 grams of carbs, but 25 are fiber, then your 'net' carbs are only 25g for the day. Fiber has no effect on your insulin and blood sugar levels, which is the purpose for eating low carb.

As for the chocolate and sweet stuff, I have an Atkins Daybreak Chocolate Hazelnut bar every morning for breakfast and it takes care of my chocolate and sweet desires. It is kinda like having Ferrer Roche for breakfast- guilt free!
  • ohreally00
    ohreally00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So, here's my version of how I lost 46 pounds since October 2012: No pasta, bread, potatoes, cereal, rice, cow's milk---anything "starchy" . Load up on veggies (and some fruit) to add to good quality protein. Almond milk instead of cow's milk. Love various nuts as a treat. Wine too. Allow your body and mind time to get used to retraining your palate. Sure, did I "cheat" while on vacation? Yup, but within reason, and hopped right back on after. I did use WW Online for structure (great program, but at a monthly cost), but at this point (30 pounds to go), I discontinued because I need to add fitness and nutritional clarity (will be buying a Fitbit) versus "points".
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Dr Atkins diet of Heart Disease and was obese..please do your research..I would venture the Atkins diet is probably the worst and unhealthiest "diet" ever created...Just really KNOW what you are doing with it! good luck

Oh Pulease! YOU do your research. He died at 72 yrs old when he slipped on ice and fell and hit his head. And he certainly was NOT obese at the time. While he was in a coma for nine days after the head injury, his body gained about 50 pounds of fluid. That is the only reason he was technically overweight at his time of death.
    That stupid rumor was made up by the opponents of his diet to try to discredit him.

Try checking out Snopes.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am in keto. I have hypothyroidism and seem to be taking to a ketogenic/gluten free diet like a charm.

I wish I had done it sooner.

:-)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    @ debbie You are super!!!

: Please know that this diet was developed due to hypothyroid research (how to treat/diagnose)

It really isn't for "everyone"

Lifestyle choices need to be made from your own perceptions/reactions/and benefits.

Also, when you use the fat (healthy fats) as fuel, they are "used up" not stored.
  • Noory44
    Noory44 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time with the fruit and chocolate, but i already notice a difference in weight loss. Have not experienced what they call the Atkins Flu, thank God! Feeling more energetic that's for sure. Not everyone can eat tonnes of carbs and not gain weight, i keep reading negative comments on the webs and it's not that drastic of a diet in total, you do gradually add carbs slowly and see what works for you. Thanks for the support everyone!