cut back?

Options
im not looking for people to post routines i have one i like and working but i feel some are to long and to much like today
8 exercises
chest 4 set
tricep 4 set
shoulder 4 set
chest 4 set
tricep 4 set
shoulder 4 set
tricep 4 set
chest 4 set
TAKES ME 1 HR

By the last 2 im kinda really tired and find it hard to do some.(i need to work on endurance bad)
im looking for opinion on if i should reduce exercises to be more like

chest 4 set
tricep 4 set
shoulder 4 set
chest 4 set
tricep 4 set
shoulder 4 set
or should i keep the same exercises and just reduce to 3 sets?

Replies

• tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You can do either one of those things. I would also do something like
    reg bench 3x8
    incline 3x8
    flies 2x12 - 15

overhead press 3x8
    side lat raises 2x12
    back delt workout 2x12

tricep. things

basically clump your exercizes together so you dont tire them out at the end of your workout.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why anyone would do the exercises in this particular order.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    i don't understand why anyone would do the exercises in this particular order.

I have to agree with DavPul

How many reps are you doing per set?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yikes. So you're just training triceps, chest and shoulders? And doing an insane amount of sets? Have you tried looking into some of the popular strength training programs that align with your goals (whatever they may be, you didn't state)? It sounds like you just made this one up on the fly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

How many sets/reps are you doing? 4 sets per? how many reps?

When are you working back?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

and Legs!!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    No leg day?

Do you even have friends?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

and Legs!!!

I assumed he had a leg/lower day that he did not list..
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Why not list the actual exercises? And what is your goal? I am assuming muscle mass as opposed to strength or endurance?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    What, no deadlifts? :cry:
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    That's a strange workout. I assume on other days you're exercising other body parts?

In general, unless you're doing something super-advanced I don't understand, your chest and shoulder exercises are already going to hit your triceps hard. I'm guessing you don't need to do so much triceps work. If you're in love with triceps extensions or whatever, do just one group of 4 sets at the very end, after all your shoulders and chest lifts. That way you're not wearing out your arms before you finish your chest and shoulder work.

chest (bench press?)
    shoulders (upright rows?)
    chest (dumbbell flyes?)
    shoulders (overhead press?)
    triceps (triceps extensions?)

That's still not the way I'd do it, but if your old routine is working for you, that's a relatively small change that might save you some time.

But it's hard to know for sure without knowing exactly what lifts you're doing.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    apparently something isn't working or he wouldn't be asking us
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    apparently something isn't working or he wouldn't be asking us

Didn't he say he's happy with his program, it's just taking more than an hour a day to finish now?

I certainly sympathize with what you're saying. I would approach the resistance work a lot differently if it were me, and I'd be willing to bet he'd have faster success with a major overhaul to his program.

But he's lost a lot of weight doing what he's doing. In this case, maybe a couple baby steps in the right direction is the best way to go.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It sounds similar in set up to the "Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps" workout from P90X. Is that what you used to create your workout? And if that's the case, do you have a seperate workout for "Back and Biceps" and another for "Legs and Back" that you are not telling us about? :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you aren't posting any work out at all. you are just listing body parts.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    im using a total gym. and the point is if i should cut back on focusing on the muscle groups. or lower the sets.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    It sounds similar in set up to the "Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps" workout from P90X. Is that what you used to create your workout? And if that's the case, do you have a seperate workout for "Back and Biceps" and another for "Legs and Back" that you are not telling us about? :wink:

yes this is just an example of th order i do for muscle groups im not listing the exercises cause the point is muscle groups
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    correct answer is C. scrap this program and start one that makes sense.
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    What are your goals?

reps are 12-20 once u get to 20 u raise the difficulty
  • FearlessRobb
    Options
    That's a strange workout. I assume on other days you're exercising other body parts?

In general, unless you're doing something super-advanced I don't understand, your chest and shoulder exercises are already going to hit your triceps hard. I'm guessing you don't need to do so much triceps work. If you're in love with triceps extensions or whatever, do just one group of 4 sets at the very end, after all your shoulders and chest lifts. That way you're not wearing out your arms before you finish your chest and shoulder work.

chest (bench press?)
    shoulders (upright rows?)
    chest (dumbbell flyes?)
    shoulders (overhead press?)
    triceps (triceps extensions?)

That's still not the way I'd do it, but if your old routine is working for you, that's a relatively small change that might save you some time.

But it's hard to know for sure without knowing exactly what lifts you're doing.

using a total gym. thanks for the advice thats exactly the type of thing i was trying to get advice on. but people seem to like to not understand and assume there own things like im not working out other body parts and look into it to hard