Anyone done Slim Fast?

Options

Replies

• sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    Yucky and never. Do you plan to sustain on Slimfast forever? A healthy, clean meal is the way to go!!
    Gets all your nutrients in and it is real food. Better off eating real, and well, vs...crashing and suffering later on for it. Who really knows what that stuff does to your body? Slow steady progress with true results will show and let you maintain a healthy lifestyle forever and ever. Healthy always wins no matter what. Aim for healthy and you will always come out ahead....Best wishes on your journey!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yucky and never. Do you plan to sustain on Slimfast forever? A healthy, clean meal is the way to go!!
    Gets all your nutrients in and it is real food. Better off eating real, and well, vs...crashing and suffering later on for it. Who really knows what that stuff does to your body? Slow steady progress with true results will show and let you maintain a healthy lifestyle forever and ever. Healthy always wins no matter what. Aim for healthy and you will always come out ahead....Best wishes on your journey!

I feel like I should PM you a pic of what it's doing to my body. Would you like to see a picture of my 36H's, my trimmer tummy, or my shapely backside? I know exactly what it's doing to my body it's slimming it down so it looks like the hourglass it was meant to. I don't know ANYONE who plans of sustaining Slimfast forever, this rhetorical question can just stop being asked.
  • sdpeklo
    Options
    MYchocdiet....

Wow ...yikes ...sorry I offended you.
  • sdpeklo
    Options
    Hey, anyone tried slim fast or similar diets? What do you think of them and are they worth it? I know most of them are like "crash diets" or are supposed to be good for short term diets. Just curious about them and if anyone has any thoughts.
    In other words "I'm looking for a quick fix." ANY PROGRAM will work if you follow it. Sustaining it is the problem. Basically you're swapping food out for liquid and just consuming less calories. Do realize that this is POSSIBLE while still eating food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This ....Ummmm yep.....he knows what he is talking about when it comes to food.
  • sdpeklo
    Options

I feel like I should PM you a pic of what it's doing to my body. Would you like to see a picture of my 36H's, my trimmer tummy, or my shapely backside? I know exactly what it's doing to my body it's slimming it down so it looks like the hourglass it was meant to. I don't know ANYONE who plans of sustaining Slimfast forever, this rhetorical question can just stop being asked.

Wow....I am glad it is working so well for you and if indeed that is your profile pic you look wonderful. Never meant to offend ....yes perhaps it works for some for drastic weight loss ....but for me....I feel that crash dieting would never fuel me as well to maintain long term nutrition, bone, teeth, organ health, ( I value my organs and teeth.... they keep me alive) as well as my amateur running hobby. I would crash mentally, physically and feel very ill. Again never meant to offend...just prefer whole, real meals....albeit slower for weight loss I think time and time again maintaining a lifestyle that is healthy for mind, body and spirit always wins in the end. The question about sustaining it forever....is asked time and time again " because the choices you make now will present themselves in the future " regarding and in continuing to maintain a "Healthy" lifestyle. I choose to get my nutrients from veggies, fruit, whole grains and meat. To each their own. Yes it probably works wonders for weight loss initially. I am all about maintaining health and wellness for the long term not a quick fix. I think the OP just wanted to know what works for some and what some believe. I gave her my perspective sorry if I offended.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Would you like to see a picture of my 36H's, my trimmer tummy, or my shapely backside?

I'm torn between :laugh: and :huh:

But mostly I'm thinking no1.gif
  • sdpeklo
    Options
    Would you like to see a picture of my 36H's, my trimmer tummy, or my shapely backside?

:smile: :laugh:
    Male... I suspect? Ever heard that saying....curiosity killed the cat? Ok so now I looked and your female....still though....you would be the cat/ : )
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    So, personally, I'd rather eat real food. But I am a BIG FAN of speedy foods. Right now, I make a batch of smoothie for my hubby and I. Almond milk, 1 fresh banana, 1 cup of frozen strawbs (did i mention I like it speedy? I kept wasting fresh strawbs because I was lazy, so this way is healthier than stopping for a breakfast sandwich), and yogurt. blend. drink. enjoy.

It takes me maybe 3 minutes to throw everything together and it's real food instead of Slim Fast shakes. For lunch, we pre cut the pre-washed romaine hearts and use an olive based salad dressing (you can pre distribute at beginning of week). And, where we're from the pre-cooked, pre-seasoned chicken is about the same cost as fresh so i will pre-measure that for our salads. We do one veggie so, baby carrots are easy or cucumbers and again prep at the beginning of week. Same with nuts. pre-measure for a snack. Apples are easy just need to rinse and then sometimes I might throw a yogurt/cheese/snack bar into the lunches. You can eat well and have it be reasonably priced without resorting to the Slim Fast.

HOWEVER, if that is the easiest way for you to do things and just losing weight is important, then give er'. If you're concerned about what you put in your body, maybe not the best (by the way, I'm by no means saying everything I eat is good for me).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I will admit, I on occasion will toss a scoop of powder into my mixer bottle, a long with some almond milk and run out the door. OP, do yourself a favor...if the slim fast plan is something you are considering then fine....but why buy all the junk filled snacks and drinks? Go get some quality protein powder and make your own shakes and look up recipes to make your own protein bars.

1. They will be healthier, with less sugar, more fiber and a whole lot more vitamins and minerals that your body needs.
    2. Good quality powders have double the amount of protein compared to the slim fast shakes.
    3. You will know what is in your food...verses the 10 ingredients that you don't know how to pronounce.

I won't follow it...because what I am doing now is what I want to be doing in 20 years. Ask yourself that....do you want to eat or drink slim fasts for the rest of your life? If not, then I would suggest looking for a different approach to this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Male... I suspect? Ever heard that saying....curiosity killed the cat? Ok so now I looked and your female....still though....you would be the cat/ : )

okay so then in that case I'm gonna send you all the pic's. No seriously I'm a woman, shapely backside was probably the least graceful way to describe it, but all i'm trying to say is it's working for me, has in the past and it's not so bad, it's not like it's poison? I just don't get why people get SO worked up about it? Did someone ever die from it in the past? Like, did I miss a news event like that, cause it's not like it's diet pills? It's just the regular sugar, protein, milk crap that's in a bunch of other shakes and stuff. Not that big a deal really. Now back to the topic....do you wanna see my *kitten* or what!?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    My doctor put me on slim fast for the iron after having my kids, I was anemic. I always just used it as a quick breakfast , my stomach gets upset if I eat a heavy breakfast. Anyways I'm using it a little more now that I'm trying to loose weight. I love how it taste I recommend getting the powder not the ready to go , tastes a lot better and little more healthy too. I find it keeps me full .

Your doctor thought slim fast was a good idea when you were anemic?
    Why wouldn't he recommend or give you a prescription for iron pills?

I was anemic after both kids and had to take iron pills, even though most times I forgot :blushing:

To OP I've tried slim fast but find them to be chalky tasting and not worth their price if you're looking for added protein cheaper just to make your own protein shake which will give you less sugar and more protein

My dr. put me on iron pills for anemia. but i did notice my shakes have some iron too. Still when I feel anemic like I did then, I still take iron pills. With OJ, as prescribed. Never heard of a Dr. prescribing slim fast? Gonna ask my physician buddy tonight.
  • writtingonthewalls
    Options
    Eat clean!!! Shakes are a waste of time!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    no. Just use this app/website as it's designed. There's no point in doing it. Why pay more for that when you can have real food, at a reasonable deficit, lose weight, and not have to choke down godawful shakes?

The forums have been full of people that sign up for this website, then hit the forums for shortcuts/jumpstarters/kickstarters/cheats...

You'll see a dozen accounts with 2 forums posts, that have been around for maybe a week... and they're asking what shortcuts are available or how the community feels about them. Sure, it's just my .02, but you're here.. you've already signed up for the best tool you can use. Track your intake, eat back your ex. calories, and just be patient. This is a marathon, OP, not a sprint.

THIS! IF you use this website with the app and use it regularly and faithfully, you WILL get results. Quick results aren't necessarily HEALTHY results - this site helps you do it right, keep it off, and stay healthy.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used it when a few years ago and I didn't lose *kitten* lol and was more hungry than a bear coming out of hibernation lol I LIKE TO EAT!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Wow....I am glad it is working so well for you and if indeed that is your profile pic you look wonderful. Never meant to offend ....yes perhaps it works for some for drastic weight loss ....but for me....I feel that crash dieting would never fuel me as well to maintain long term nutrition, bone, teeth, organ health, ( I value my organs and teeth.... they keep me alive) as well as my [/b]amateur running hobby. I would crash mentally, physically and feel very ill. Again never meant to offend...just prefer whole, real meals....albeit slower for weight loss I think time and time again maintaining a lifestyle that is healthy for mind, body and spirit always wins in the end. The question about sustaining it forever....is asked time and time again " because the choices you make now will present themselves in the future " regarding and in continuing to maintain a "Healthy" lifestyle. I choose to get my nutrients from veggies, fruit, whole grains and meat. To each their own. Yes it probably works wonders for weight loss initially. I am all about maintaining health and wellness for the long term not a quick fix. I think the OP just wanted to know what works for some and what some believe. I gave her my perspective sorry if I offended.

actually yes, if you're a runner and have steady running workouts, it's not for you. You'd need way more calories and they'd be useless to you. if you did the plan as described you might feel all those things and parts of you might start to fall off too. So, yeah I'm gonna have to agree. For some though, with lower cal needs, it can help, it's easy, I think they taste fine, and the pack a lot into those few cals. Mostly the protein, albeit you can find other sources/bars/shakes. This is just my easy plan, and don't see why it wouldn't work for someone else with similar cal goals.
  • sdpeklo
    Options

Wow....I am glad it is working so well for you and if indeed that is your profile pic you look wonderful. Never meant to offend ....yes perhaps it works for some for drastic weight loss ....but for me....I feel that crash dieting would never fuel me as well to maintain long term nutrition, bone, teeth, organ health, ( I value my organs and teeth.... they keep me alive) as well as my [/b]amateur running hobby. I would crash mentally, physically and feel very ill. Again never meant to offend...just prefer whole, real meals....albeit slower for weight loss I think time and time again maintaining a lifestyle that is healthy for mind, body and spirit always wins in the end. The question about sustaining it forever....is asked time and time again " because the choices you make now will present themselves in the future " regarding and in continuing to maintain a "Healthy" lifestyle. I choose to get my nutrients from veggies, fruit, whole grains and meat. To each their own. Yes it probably works wonders for weight loss initially. I am all about maintaining health and wellness for the long term not a quick fix. I think the OP just wanted to know what works for some and what some believe. I gave her my perspective sorry if I offended.

actually yes, if you're a runner and have steady running workouts, it's not for you. You'd need way more calories and they'd be useless to you. if you did the plan as described you might feel all those things and parts of you might start to fall off too. So, yeah I'm gonna have to agree. For some though, with lower cal needs, it can help, it's easy, I think they taste fine, and the pack a lot into those few cals. Mostly the protein, albeit you can find other sources/bars/shakes. This is just my easy plan, and don't see why it wouldn't work for someone else with similar cal goals.

My choc diet...cool...we both gave her diff perspectives and that is what community is all about and yes I run half's and I would be very afraid Slim fast would be a colonic on my first run after consuming one. Yikes...: ) If I don't eat a certain amount of slow digesting carbs and protein I wouldn't make it down my block. And that whole potty thing would be awful......truly awful.
  • arielledeforest
    Options
    I have to agree with the people on here that those who don't usually eat breakfast will find it's a quick and easy alternative. I'm currently following the slim fast plan and am not finding it hard at all. I allow myself an extra 100 calories after excercising and I find I'm not hungry at all. I take my shake at 5 am (I start work early haha) I eat a snack around 9, lunch at noon, another snack at 2:30, supper at five, and a little something in the evening before bed. I find eating in smaller portions but more often has actually made me less hungry than how I was eating before. As for the taste I find them pretty good! It all comes down to opinion and convenience, but for someone just starting I find it's easier to have an outline of how to space out means and how many calories to eat. It isn't however magic, it still takes hard work and dedication to drop those pounds
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

okay so then in that case I'm gonna send you all the pic's. No seriously I'm a woman, shapely backside was probably the least graceful way to describe it, but all i'm trying to say is it's working for me, has in the past and it's not so bad, it's not like it's poison? I just don't get why people get SO worked up about it? Did someone ever die from it in the past? Like, did I miss a news event like that, cause it's not like it's diet pills? It's just the regular sugar, protein, milk crap that's in a bunch of other shakes and stuff. Not that big a deal really. Now back to the topic....do you wanna see my *kitten* or what!?

No, really, I don't. But thanks for asking. :laugh:

Totally off topic, but your icon (at first glance) is disturbing. I can't be the only one who thought it looked like.... I can't even say it. :noway:
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I did the 3/2/1 program for two weeks when my meal portions were slipping and getting big again, to reacquaint myself with staying in a specific calorie range. A kick in the pants, as it were. Now I have a bar occasionally if I'm short on time for breakfast, but I'm back on real food. Ultimately, real food is best of course!

ETA: The two weeks I was doing this, I lost 4 pounds...more than I typically lose.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yeah it works once, destroying your metabolism in the process. You gain all the weight back and have a harder time losing it. Messed me and my mom up pretty good. No shortcuts. Eat real food.