Quick Poll on Sugar

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit (fructose) (an actual fruit, not juice) is fine. Sugar from vegetables and milk (lactose) are fine. Fructose in the form of juice, table sugar, processed sugar (i.e. HFCS - mix of fructose & sucrose) are not good...literally processed as poison by your liver and stored as fat. The actual fruit is good because it is surrounded by fiber, starches, minerals which aid in proper digestion and breakdown. I used to wonder this all the time and I watched a very informative lecture with sexy facts, biochemistry analysis and breakdown which explained it perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Ummm....huh? Poison? Stored as fat? How?

Here is a better video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMc0_s-M08I

Also, a good article.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

That is the beauty of the internet...every one has a blog and disclaims this and that. I would take the knowledge of 10 doctors over a blogger any day of the week. Especially when it can be proven scientifically. Have you watched the full lecture, I realize it is an hour and a half, but it's not just the lecture portion it's the chemistry that really speaks volumes.

I know how long it is. And LOL, Alan Aragon is not a just a blogger. Take the time to read/listen.

How about answering the questions?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,757 Member
    Options
    I would've thought fruit was okay and shouldn't be in the same category if I hadn't gone pre-diabetic from a heavy fruit diet. I went on Fit for Life, an older eating plan that's still around, that is based on food combining. Basically, you eat fruit in the morning, have vegetables with either a grain or meat at lunch, and then the same choice for dinner, with veggies for snacks, One choice that can be made is to stay with fruit through dinner, as it's easily digestible and not as stressful on the system according to this plan.

Well, I DO think I ate too much fruit in that time period and if I had less or followed the program better it wouldn't have been as bad, but first my doctor was happy I was losing weight until my blood sugar tests results came back. They were almost doubled, so she sent me again and I was pre-diiabetic. Needless to say, I stopped eating so much fruit real fast!

I do know with a Dad with Type 2 diabetes that it rates in his blood sugar and can raise it just like sweets can (though cake vs. an apple is a huge difference). It's sad since he's been working out and is slender and my Mom has him eating well, but he has diabetes on both sides of his family (as do I). I feel in moderation and responsibly for those with diabetes is important, is my basic experience with how it affects blood sugar, plus how they rate in the Glycemic Index. I would like to think it's not as bad as true sugar, but it can be if eaten a lot.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    yeah I don't even track sugars.. as long as i'm within my normal macros I'm fine
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The sugars in fruit - sucrose, glucose and fructose - are the same sugars as come in packets, drums and road tankers.

So I don't treat them as different in any way.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I treat non processed sugars eg fruit as golden nectar fuelling my body by the ' krebs cycle'

I changed my sugar macro to a vitamin C macro to track......far more motivating :happy:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Fruit's fine ... Packed with fibre, vitamins and whatnot.

Don't stress the fructose, we didn't get fat eating too many apples :)
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit (fructose) (an actual fruit, not juice) is fine. Sugar from vegetables and milk (lactose) are fine. Fructose in the form of juice, table sugar, processed sugar (i.e. HFCS - mix of fructose & sucrose) are not good...literally processed as poison by your liver and stored as fat. The actual fruit is good because it is surrounded by fiber, starches, minerals which aid in proper digestion and breakdown. I used to wonder this all the time and I watched a very informative lecture with sexy facts, biochemistry analysis and breakdown which explained it perfectly.

Here is a better video.

Also, a good article.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

That is the beauty of the internet...every one has a blog and disclaims this and that. I would take the knowledge of 10 doctors over a blogger any day of the week. Especially when it can be proven scientifically. Have you watched the full lecture, I realize it is an hour and a half, but it's not just the lecture portion it's the chemistry that really speaks volumes.

I know how long it is. And LOL, Alan Aragon is not a just a blogger. Take the time to read/listen.

It can be explained in the lecture with pretty, shiny pictures and everything...hence why I linked it. Take it down a notch...we're all entitled to an opinion.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit's fine ... Packed with fibre, vitamins and whatnot.

mainly water actually, then sugars, with some fibre and the odd vitamin for sure. Vegetables are better for fibre and vitamins / minerals.

Vastly oversold, we've been brainwashed. We were susceptible because it tastes nice.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    How many of you believe fruit sugar (and not just one apple a day- I am talking different types of fruit through out the day) is absolutely 100% fine?
    and does anyone else here subtract in their head the fruit/veggie sugar from their "sugar" column on the macros each day?

i believe that anyone who thinks that there's anything bad about fruit sugar that comes from consuming whole fruit should call their local zoo and warn the zookeeper not to give fruit to any of the other primates.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Here is a better video.

Also, a good article.

It can be explained in the lecture with pretty, shiny pictures and everything...hence why I linked it. Take it down a notch...we're all entitled to an opinion.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why are you asserting that your opinion is superior by not even acknowledging the scientific research that is contrary to what you believe? When you deflect as you did, it makes your opinion less credible.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Glucose is broken down to pyruvate, then acetyl-COA, then NADH or FADH2 which enters the electron transport chain to make ATP! Many sugars get broken down to glucose and then ATP at the cellular level, but not fructose. Fructose is broken down in the liver into a variety of things including triglycerides (fat), uric acid, and free radicals. These can be bad things in high amounts, and high fructose corn syrup in excess could be the link to the increase in obesity and diabetes (note the Could!). Fructose from fruit is generally considered okay because you have to eat a lot of it in a short time to rival some foods such as sodas. It also contains indigestible fiber which is good for "keeping you regular".

The problems arise when you are intolerant to something in the food, such as lactose, then you need to watch your intake. High levels of sugar in the bloodstream causes insulin to be secreted from your pancreas, which helps cells to absorb the sugars and stops the body breaking down stored glucose (glycogen) till levels decrease. If insulin resistance occurs you end up with type 2 diabetes, if the pancreas fails to produce insulin you end up with type 1 diabetes.

I am lucky to not have an intolerance, therefore I don't obsess over my sugar intake, it's almost always over because I eat fruit and carbs daily. I would reconsider if it was wildly over most days or if my doctor had concerns over my blood work, but no problems yet!
    I don't drink soda but that is just my preference but cutting it out of your diet will save you a lot of calories and sugars! I don't know much about aspartame or other man made sugars. I also gained all my knowledge from taking nutrition/physiology/biochemistry courses and I am not an expert by any means so take this as you will!

This article is quite interesting and written by someone with better credentials then I! http://www.science20.com/michael_goran/issue_fructose_period-90840
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Glucose is broken down to pyruvate, then acetyl-COA, then NADH or FADH2 which enters the electron transport chain to make ATP! Many sugars get broken down to glucose and then ATP at the cellular level, but not fructose. Fructose is broken down in the liver into a variety of things including triglycerides (fat), uric acid, and free radicals. These can be bad things in high amounts, and high fructose corn syrup in excess could be the link to the increase in obesity and diabetes (note the Could!). Fructose from fruit is generally considered okay because you have to eat a lot of it in a short time to rival some foods such as sodas. It also contains indigestible fiber which is good for "keeping you regular".

The problems arise when you are intolerant to something in the food, such as lactose, then you need to watch your intake. High levels of sugar in the bloodstream causes insulin to be secreted from your pancreas, which helps cells to absorb the sugars and stops the body breaking down stored glucose (glycogen) till levels decrease. If insulin resistance occurs you end up with type 2 diabetes, if the pancreas fails to produce insulin you end up with type 1 diabetes.

I am lucky to not have an intolerance, therefore I don't obsess over my sugar intake, it's almost always over because I eat fruit and carbs daily. I would reconsider if it was wildly over most days or if my doctor had concerns over my blood work, but no problems yet!
    I don't drink soda but that is just my preference but cutting it out of your diet will save you a lot of calories and sugars! I don't know much about aspartame or other man made sugars. I also gained all my knowledge from taking nutrition/physiology/biochemistry courses and I am not an expert by any means so take this as you will!

This article is quite interesting and written by someone with better credentials then I! http://www.science20.com/michael_goran/issue_fructose_period-90840

This is actually covered in Alan Aragon's blog which Sara posted earlier. It's all about dosage and context, and the sugar fear-mongerers tend to leave that part out.

I'm glad that I am not sensitive/allergic to it either. I don't track sugar because I don't have a medical reason that I would need to do so.
  • Lunachic77
    Options

Here is a better video.

Also, a good article.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why are you asserting that your opinion is superior by not even acknowledging the scientific research that is contrary to what you believe? When you deflect as you did, it makes your opinion less credible.

Hold the phone. I never said my opinion is "superior" to anyone. This is a forum and specifically this thread took a poll asking about sugar. What I wrote/linked is my opinion and it is what I personally believe in. Someone else commented on on what their opinion is. We can disagree all day long about who is right and who is wrong, and link studies, blogs and scientific evidence proving this and that, but that is not my intention. There are so many views on various topics on MFP (eating back exercise calories, protein intake, eating below "X" amount) and all get debated back and forth with various links, articles, scientific studies...but it all comes down to who believes in what and what their opinions are.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Here is a better video.

Also, a good article.

Hold the phone. I never said my opinion is "superior" to anyone. This is a forum and specifically this thread took a poll asking about sugar. What I wrote/linked is my opinion and it is what I personally believe in. Someone else commented on on what their opinion is. We can disagree all day long about who is right and who is wrong, and link studies, blogs and scientific evidence proving this and that, but that is not my intention. There are so many views on various topics on MFP (eating back exercise calories, protein intake, eating below "X" amount) and all get debated back and forth with various links, articles, scientific studies...but it all comes down to who believes in what and what their opinions are.

You still didn't answer Sara's questions. :flowerforyou:
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This is actually covered in Alan Aragon's blog which Sara posted earlier. It's all about dosage and context, and the sugar fear-mongerers tend to leave that part out.

I'm glad that I am not sensitive/allergic to it either. I don't track sugar because I don't have a medical reason that I would need to do so.
    Oh okay I didn't read it, just the original post, and wanted to tell what I know. Now I need to go eat some proportionate sugar... :D
  • Lunachic77
    Options
    I'm not going to elaborate on the biochemistry and illustrations that can viewed on the lecture that I linked, that in detail show how different sugars are broken down by the liver. That's why I linked it because it gets far more comprehensive and in-depth then I can explain. It's a very interesting lecture and it changed the way I view sugar intake.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How many of you believe fruit sugar (and not just one apple a day- I am talking different types of fruit through out the day) is absolutely 100% fine?
    and does anyone else here subtract in their head the fruit/veggie sugar from their "sugar" column on the macros each day?

I don't track my sugar macros but I wouldn't count fruit sugar if I did. However, if I'm over my carbs by quite a bit, I will make a note (in the wee notes section of my diary) of how many carbs came from fruit and veg.

Don't worry too much about eating too much fruit and veg - they say AT LEAST 5 portions of fruit and veg a day so eat them up:smile:

Speaking of which, I need to go fruit and veg shopping now :tongue:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    mainly water actually, then sugars, with some fibre and the odd vitamin for sure. Vegetables are better for fibre and vitamins / minerals.

Vastly oversold, we've been brainwashed. We were susceptible because it tastes nice.

I read all that too, it's all a big marketing con, 'eat your 5 serves of', etc. Fruit has been grown to be sweeter and less nutritious. Yer typical apple might as well be a Snickers bar. Been down that road.

Look, when it comes down to it, the average punter just wants to know if an apple a day is OK if they are trying to lose a bit of blubber. And it is. Bananas too. Whatever, a bit of fruit can't be a bad thing whichever way you look at it.

Yes, yes, we could probably get more of yer fibre/vitamins/minerals by chowing down on a shedload of leafy greens (presuming we actually absorb it all) but let's face it, who will?
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I'm not going to elaborate on the biochemistry and illustrations that can viewed on the lecture that I linked, that in detail show how different sugars are broken down by the liver. That's why I linked it because it gets far more comprehensive and in-depth then I can explain. It's a very interesting lecture and it changed the way I view sugar intake.

The rebuttals are also very interesting, if you care to read them. It appears that you don't, so I will just say have a nice day. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump....I love my fruit!!!!