Crazy Salad Combinations

Options

Replies

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person alive who cringes at the thought of putting fruit and things like salad or meat together. Blah! lol Dried fruit doesn't freak me out quite as bad BUT I can't eat it because it's all covered in sulpher and WOW does it have a bad effect on me! lol
    I like every veggie on the planet put together on a salad though!! Also any seed or nut and any cheese...ever!
  • redlola356
    redlola356 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not crazy but super yummy - baby spinach, roasted red peppers (slice and microwave them till they're cooked then grill them in the oven for 5 or so minutes - or bbq them - yum!) avocado, cucumbers, halved cherry or grape tomatoes, an ounce of goat cheese (any type - but I like peppercorn the best) and a spritz of EVOO. Sliced chicken breast if I happen to have it.
  • WOODWAYONE
    WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like salad with smoked mackerel, apple slices, and some nuts like walnut or pecan bits.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That picture :love:

My favorite salad is spinach, turkey or chicken, blueberries, strawberries, walnuts or almonds, feta crumbles, and poppyseed dressing.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I love such posts :D!

My favourite combo is: mixed greens (Römer, arugula, iceberg), shredded carrots and zucchini, corn, a couple of black olives, green spring onions and lacerate ham! No need for dressings, the natural juice of the corn makes up for it :flowerforyou:
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:
    baby spinach
    strawberries
    feta cheese 1 tbs
    real bacon bits 1 tbs
    almond accents honey roasted almonds with pomegranate 1 tbs
    Light House Gorgonzola and Pear Dressing 1 tbs
    I put all in large baggie and shake altogether, Sometimes I add grilled chicken or steak. So good!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When I visit San Jose's restaurant, I love to order a tossed salad with pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream. I also squeeze the lemon from my tea over it. It is my absolute favorite.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and feta on salad is one of my favorite combinations!

I'd also suggest pine nuts as a topping. <3
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just had this for lunch and it was delish

Mild pepper rings
    Onions - Raw, 20g
    Kraft - Classic Caeser Anything Dressing, 1 Tbsp
    President - Feta Crumbled All Natural Cheese, 1 oz (28 g/~ 1" cube)
    Earth Greens Baby Romaine Organic - Baby Romaine Organic, 2 cups
    Avocados - Raw, 32 g
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 181 g
    Sara Lee Deli Meat - Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast, 2.54 oz

298cals 18carbs 15fat 24protein 1,153sodium 6fiber
  • skylinelady8
    Options
    My favorite crazy salad is chopped celery, grape tomatoes halved, grapes halved, chopped red peppers, chicken or turkey breast, and crumbled blue cheese with fat free poppyseed dressing. Love this!
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    the other day I was shopping at Meijer's in Michigan and evidently Saturday is sample day. I tried a fantastic salad that I never imagined that I would have liked and left the store with the ingredients:) Give it a try - the gal whom made the salad was lebanese and said that they use mint in many dishes. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste

one bunch mint - remove the stems and chop fine
    1/2 bunch cilantro - remove stems and chop fine
    one bag carrot "match sticks"
    one bunch of green onions, cut off the dark green bits at the end and use majority of onion, chop fine
    2 table spoons olive oil
    2 table spoons lime juice
    mild tabasco sauce -green in color - dash to taste
    salt and pepper

I am not much of a cilantro fan, but still really enjoyed the salad - bon appetit:flowerforyou:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I made one the other day with

cottage cheese
    diced cucumber
    diced peppers
    chives
    diced tomatoes
    herbs of choice (basil, oregano, sage)
    salt and pepper
    apple cider vinegar
    olive oil

I mixed the vinegar, oil, herbs, salt and pepper together as a dressing and then stirred it all together. It was good the first day but REALLY good the next! I don't have measurements because I was just throwing stuff together but it was only like a tablespoon of oil and vinegar, not much.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    There is one I buy prepackaged that I tried on a whim and loved it. It has spinach, dried cranberries & pears, pecans that are sweet/spicy, feta with balsalmic vinaigrette. I've tried to recreate at home but cannot find a dressing that tastes that good.

I make a salad that's just spinach, feta and craisins, sometimes walnuts if I have them, and I've used different variations of raspberry vinaigrettes that I've found. Wishbone has a super berry that's really good.
  • Kattamer81
    Kattamer81 Posts: 90
    Options
    I had a salad the other day that was mixed greens from the garden, tomatoes, sprouts, blueberries (they're in season!) and nutty granola with a ginger soy dressing...it was delicious! The blueberries on it were awesome :)
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like strawberries and almonds in my salad too!

I'm going to second this.

I just made a salad the other day with baby spinach, strawberries, apples, chopped walnuts, and cilantro with lemon juice and a dash of pepper as a dressing and it was really good! :)
  • run4thewin
    run4thewin Posts: 10
    Options
    I saw a recipe I haven't dared to try yet, but could be good...

Lettuce/greens, crumbled lean ground beef, chopped tomatoes, diced onion. A dressing of dill, black pepper, yellow mustard, ketchup (or tomato sauce), and vinegar (I think). Top with shredded cheddar........a cheeseburger salad!

Edit: found the recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/01/cheeseburger-salad/
    (I was close...)
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Spring mix
    Figs
    Walnuts
    Mexican crumble cheese
    Bacon

Or

Strawberries
    Brie cheese
    Chicken
    Roasted almonds
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe I haven't dared to try yet, but could be good...

Lettuce/greens, crumbled lean ground beef, chopped tomatoes, diced onion. A dressing of dill, black pepper, yellow mustard, ketchup (or tomato sauce), and vinegar (I think). Top with shredded cheddar........a cheeseburger salad!

Edit: found the recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/01/cheeseburger-salad/
    (I was close...)

YES! I've had this, it's really good! I was thinking I hadn't had it in a long time and should make it again. I used ground turkey instead of beef.