FitBit..... is it worth it?

Options
StuAblett
StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
Looking at buying a Fitbit, so the most basic question to anyone who has one is was it worth the money?

The next question is which one would you buy?

From poking around online, the FitBit Flex looks really good, but I'd love to hear from real uses their thoughts.

Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends. Mine is worth it to me. Tells me when I need to get off my booty and get moving. It's basically a fancy pedometer. So if you don't do a lot of walking/running or don't want to track steps and every day movement then it's not for you. It doesn't track strength training well. But if you're looking for something to motivate you to move and give you an idea of your daily activity it is great. I have the older model - the Ultra so I don't know much about the newer 3 models...
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one, had a fitbit ultra before that. To me it's worth it. I've used it for nearly a year now. I try to reach my step goal every day and it encourages me to move more during the day, as well as giving a good estimate of my TDEE.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Do a search. There are loads of posts on this. The f,ex is quite new so not so many on that bloom at the Bodymedia fit too which is more accurate.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit zip a few weeks ago and I love it! It fits anywhere and I don't need to recharge it :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Flex for about 2 weeks now and I like it. I'm a sloth and it does make me want to walk more. I love the alarm feature, it gently vibrates on your wrist at whatever time you set it for. I wear it for days straight, it's very comfortable. And it syncs with MFP.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip and I try to hit 10000 steps a day although on some days i forget to wear it!

I find the calorie burn on the fitbit overestimated tho.

Walked for 40 mins at 3mph which according to MFP Burns abt 150 cals but on my fitbit shows 321 cals! So I just track my steps on it
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a pedometer it's the best one IMO. It's reliable, accurate and it's super compact so you can clip it anywhere on you and it won't be bothersome. I used mine for a few weeks and it definitely makes you more aware of how many steps you're taking throughout the day and gets you up and walking around. One night I was literally doing laps in my kitchen just because I wanted to reach my daily goal. I would definitely recommend it for someone who is relatively sedentary to begin with and looking to walk more as walking is a great tool for weight loss, but if you're already active and work out regularly then you'll probably get a kick out of it to begin with but ultimately it may not be worth the money which is basically what happened to me. I haven't used it in months but it's nice to have on hand I guess, haha. If you get it definitely get the FitBit One.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it :flowerforyou:

Let me fill in some more blanks about myself, for those that do not know me.

I started to lose weight (again) a few years ago, I was 136Kg/300lbs. I got back in to cycling and watched what I ate. I took me some time but I got down to about 108Kg/238lbs. Then life once again got in the way and I fell off the wagon, I was well back on track again and then my wife got very sick. She is much better now and it is time get my stuff together again. I'm back up to 126Kg/278lbs and I really hate it. I had a pedometer, got one with a lit armband I bought for walking at night and it worked OK but I'd often forget to wear it, or forget to reset it and then I finally lost it. :sad: This is one reason why I thought the Fitbit Flex might be great, just wear it like an armband.
    When I ride my bike I have either a Cateye cycling computer or a Polar cycling computer with a HRM. I also use an app on my iPhone when I cycle to keep track of the ride, so the fitbit would be more as something to give me an idea of how much I'm moving on a daily basis. I'm not worried about strength training, as I lift heavy cases of beer at work all day long.

I've not done any research on any other fitbit like armband units, I guess I should do that.

Thanks again.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I looked into the Nike Fuel and Up bands but somehow gravitated towards the Flex. I preordered it earlier this year and it just came out a few weeks ago. It's very comfortable, they send you both a small and large armband. It syncs automatically to the Fitbit page when it's 15 feet from your phone or computer screen, so I do check on it at work often. I love the alarm like I said. You can wear it in the shower and supposedly in the water up to 10 meters, I haven't tried that yet.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I used a Fitbit for nearly a year as I was losing the bulk of my weight and it was an indispensable item. Because I do mostly weight training now, it's packed away in a box. However, when I used it, I loved it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip and I try to hit 10000 steps a day although on some days i forget to wear it!

I find the calorie burn on the fitbit overestimated tho.

Walked for 40 mins at 3mph which according to MFP Burns abt 150 cals but on my fitbit shows 321 cals! So I just track my steps on it
    Was that EXTRA calories on the fitbit. The fit it includes calories burnt just by being alive to but MFP I think would just be the e tra exercise calories.
  • pilarter
    pilarter Posts: 49
    Options
    I got a zip less than a month ago, as I wanted to switch from a 1200 cal diet to TDEE based diet. It has changed my life! it is motivating to move, to walk, to run, I wear it all day long, even at nights when I am at night shifts.
    I don´t consider calories burnt overestimated, but MFP underestimated instead; the truth, over or underestimated, is that I am losing weight again after a 2 month plateau, and my zip encouraged me.
    I have never used any other, so I cannot write about them. One would be fine if you need to track your sleep or are curious about your steps, it is said
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit as a nice estimate of my TDEE and to get an idea of what I do on a daily basis. I've found it to be a wonderful motivational tool - turns out I love to compete against myself, who knew! I have the One which I like because it does additional things to the Flex like measure when you are walking up stairs (and I take the stairs to my office 90% of the time), and I just prefer the small and discreet size. I clip it on to my bra and forget. I've had it since December last year, and I've only forgotten to wear it one day - and man did I feel like a part of me was missing that day!! :P

I don't find that my Fitbit overestimates my calorie burn - it seems to be as accurate as one could expect from a pedometer that is relying on the information you give it and generic averages to calculate your activity level. I would definitely recommend it, it's a really great tool and fun too, if you are like me and into geeky things like looking at your step activity for a day and all the stats around it!
  • baroqueviolin
    Options
    For what it's worth, I have a Nike Fuel Band and love it. I try to meet my step goal and my Nike Fuel goal every day. It doesn't measure things like cycling though.... unless I put it on my shoe...then it does. Good device have had since March.
  • mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip and I love it! It clips to my bra and I can't feel it. It syncs to my phone and computer and I get reminders of how much farther to my daily goal. I get a weekly report emailed to me that tells me how many miles I've walked and my calorie deficit.
    Yeah it's just a pedometer but I find reaching goals satisfying and encouraging to move more!
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it!! I have the One and it's awesome!
  • lauren31085
    lauren31085 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and for me it's great. I was stuck at 123 for about three weeks, and the first few days of having the flex I lost a pound. I try and go by the calorie counter on the app rather then MFP, but still log everything through here.
  • Makeda1211
    Makeda1211 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit zip and it is amazing. I never have to worry about my calorie count when I'm on it and it also tracks everyday activity as well. The calorie count is not overestimated because you enter your own body metrics and it calculates based on that as well as heart rate. It also encourages you to get your steps in and will let you know how far you are from your 10000 step goal. One the best investments I could have ever made. I have lost 65 pounds using it since Thanksgiving and have not had a plateau.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuelband and I basically bought it knowing that it was just a fancy pedometer. But.. I have worn it for 21 days now and I am hooked. It tells me to get off my butt and move From what I have heard the fitbit does the same thing.

What I think everyone finds with any of these devices is that instead of seeing 5 minutes as a time to sit down and "veg" you can use that time to burn more calories and keep the metabolism going.

I find myself parking farther away from stores, using the stairs instead of the elevator, looking at household chores in a whole new light.