My boss is taking me to lunch! (ungrateful whining)

Options
bokodasu
bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
I've been putting it off for a couple of weeks but finally have to stop avoiding it and go to a stupid team lunch. Yay, teambuilding. Bleh. We're going to a very corporate factory steakhouse, which again, bleh. And it's lunch, and it's 2013, so not only will there not be two martinis, there won't be any martinis at all. Gah.

AND I just went to look at their menu and everything on it makes me want to barf. It's going to be 90 degrees today, and everything is cheese-loaded bacon drippings smothered in gravy and served in a maple-crusted breadbowl. HURL. I could order a salad, I guess, but I don't really feel like dealing with the "I can't believe you're only ordering a salad" comments. Also, they don't serve salads without meat, which means that not only am I "only" ordering a salad, I'm asking for it "without meat" which will then lead to another fifteen minutes of conversation I'm really friggin' sick of. AND I don't even like salad, I only order it at restaurants when I plan on eating something else somewhere else. BLEH.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok. Whew. Just had to get that out. Now returning to my regularly-scheduled "I am so happy to have a job in this economy, much less such a great one, and a fabulous boss who randomly rewards his employees with free lunches. I am a lucky girl!"

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Just order the salad if you want, and tell everyone else to shut up.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options

This.

You dont have to go without. You can eat realatively healthy by picking a lean cut of steak at around 3oz should be roughly 200 calories. Make sure you ask for it unseasoned to keep the sodium down and for a side you can request steamed or roasted veggies without butter. The steak is a great source of protien and knowing restaurants you will get enough for a second meal later.

Go for it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
  • taycheese
    taycheese Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ^ This.

Other people shouldn't bother with your choices, you're the one eating the food afterall.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    seriously? just order something. u really think your coworkers care what u eat?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Toss his salad and get a raise.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Well, that was angry.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    You're a grown adult...act like it.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

tumblr_m9wtrlGDY81re5uw8o1_500.gif
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

tumblr_m9wtrlGDY81re5uw8o1_500.gif

LOVIN' the poop today, aren't we?? :flowerforyou:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    For the record, I do know that my coworkers care what I eat, because they have to make a comment Every. Single. Time. It wears on the psyche and drains the joy out of communal eating.

That said, the restaurant was running a lovely asparagus salad special, and everyone decided to make a big deal out of another coworker not wanting sprouts on her sandwich, so hooray! I win!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Order the salad and say it's too hot to eat anything heavy. You'll be fine.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Order every single thing on the menu, then just pick at the salad and say you're not as hungry as you thought you were.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rough. A free lunch and a chance to get away from your job... which you have...

*looks at PBJ and baby carrots*

I would hate to have to eat at a decent reataurant too.
  • jangier
    jangier Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll just ask if they have grilled chicken with steamed veggies, even if not on the menu, most places will accommodate. And most co-workers will just be jealous that you have the will power to keep to a healthy choice at lunch!
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You do know you can ask for less cheese and no bacon and customize the meal the way you want it right?

Also... at least you have a boss and a company that does things like this for you... I see my boss once a week (If I am lucky) and I rarely even get a thank you.
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My coworkers pay attention to me, too. It does get old listening to the, "but you can have this (cupcake, chocolate, pizza) and make up for it tonight."

I get why you're frustrated. Someone else said have the salad and say it's too hot for bacon drippings in a bread bowl. That's a good idea.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Agreed. :smile:
  • Jelly_Bean313
    Jelly_Bean313 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I say go for the salad. If you're used to eating light, then when you eat something heavy it'll make you feel sick. I did that over the weekend. I got the worst stomach ache. Don't worry about what they say, after all you're doing right by your body.