My boss is taking me to lunch! (ungrateful whining)

Options

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    your rant made me laugh :):)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Steakhouse is probably the best place you could go. Company's paying? Easy - Most steakhouses have a spinach salad, start with that, and then go with a petit filet mignon and steamed veg. Most steakhouses would have a nice halibut or salmon too .. But filet on the company dime is tough to turn down. Be sad when it's time to pass on ordering the creme brulee.

Steakhouses are hands down the easiest restaurants to get out of unscathed.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you're going to follow a restrictive diet this is just what you have to deal with.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just order the salad if you want, and tell everyone else to shut up.

This.

You dont have to go without. You can eat realatively healthy by picking a lean cut of steak at around 3oz should be roughly 200 calories. Make sure you ask for it unseasoned to keep the sodium down and for a side you can request steamed or roasted veggies without butter. The steak is a great source of protien and knowing restaurants you will get enough for a second meal later.

Go for it.

^^ This advice!
    Not only will you eat well, you won't look like you are dieting which sometimes can cause snide comments from coworkers when on a team lunch.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    For the record, I would never pass up steak or creme brulee, diet or no diet. Life is too short.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    small lean cut of steak, steamed veggies. very low cal. ask for it w/o the crap on it.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am reluctant to go out to eat for lunch too. Everyone must think I am antisocial.
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rough. A free lunch and a chance to get away from your job... which you have...

*looks at PBJ and baby carrots*

I would hate to have to eat at a decent reataurant too.

I understand it may seem like she's whining about a petty issue and yes, it's great that she has a job and is getting appreciated... but, sometimes it can be a big deal when people say crap about what you eat. My (female) co-worker and I get it all the time from our own field staff and from vendors we deal with. Comments are often said about what we do & eat.

Two recent examples of actual things said to us:

Eating a donut someone brought to a staff meeting- "Isn't that going to go straight to your hips?"

Getting a piece of cake from the awards lunch at the conference WE PLANNED- "Are you allowed to eat that?"

OP- good advice from people on here. Order the salad if that's what you really want and just say how much you like fresh salads or the too hot excuse. You need to do what is good for you and try your best to ignore. Just be simple and short and hopefully, you'll shut down any comments.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Order every single thing on the menu, then just pick at the salad and say you're not as hungry as you thought you were.

^^^This. Absoutely.

I like the way you think - this is the only way to deal with everyone.

And I understand your rant, OP. Unfortunately free lunches at work always cause more discord than unity.
  • sullus
    Options
    Yeah. Rough. A free lunch and a chance to get away from your job... which you have...

*looks at PBJ and baby carrots*

I would hate to have to eat at a decent reataurant too.

I understand it may seem like she's whining about a petty issue and yes, it's great that she has a job and is getting appreciated... but, sometimes it can be a big deal when people say crap about what you eat. My (female) co-worker and I get it all the time from our own field staff and from vendors we deal with. Comments are often said about what we do & eat.

Two recent examples of actual things said to us:

Eating a donut someone brought to a staff meeting- "Isn't that going to go straight to your hips?"

Getting a piece of cake from the awards lunch at the conference WE PLANNED- "Are you allowed to eat that?"

OP- good advice from people on here. Order the salad if that's what you really want and just say how much you like fresh salads or the too hot excuse. You need to do what is good for you and try your best to ignore. Just be simple and short and hopefully, you'll shut down any comments.

My last job was horrible in this regard. Comments when you eat well. Comments when you eat poorly. (from the same people) .. one day "a little brownie's not gonna kill you" .. next day, when you decide on a little treat .. "thought you were on a diet"

It was constant ...

Manager was very stereotypically italian, in terms of the mangia!! mangia!! mentality. We had frequent potlucks and he would actually put food on peoples plates ...

At my new job .. 6 months in, and nobody has commented on my food.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    This has salad on it....

heartattack.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Toss his salad and get a raise.

:sick: Barf!

Hey do it 30 minutes after lunch there might be some extra protein there to supplement the salad
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    For the record, I would never pass up steak or creme brulee, diet or no diet. Life is too short.

especially the brulee. That's the mana of Gods
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You're a grown adult...act like it.

Ohhh the irony lol
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This has salad on it....

heartattack.jpg

Grilled cheese bun, bacon, a dab of lettuce, and is that fried eggs? Oh my giddy aunt!! I think it's fried eggs on a burger with cheese!! This is a must have!!
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Gawd......i could have been getting a RAISE this whole time..!??!?
  • sullus
    Options

:sick: Barf!

Hey do it 30 minutes after lunch there might be some extra protein there to supplement the salad

Every time the guys go for barbecue, I trot out the same old tired .. "I'd like pulled pork and a tossed salad. Or maybe the jerked beef"
  • sullus
    Options
    This has salad on it....

heartattack.jpg

Grilled cheese bun, bacon, a dab of lettuce, and is that fried eggs? Oh my giddy aunt!! I think it's fried eggs on a burger with cheese!! This is a must have!!

Is the bread just a pair of grilled cheese sandwiches, or is that a pair of monte cristos?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're going to an expensive steakhouse and trying to figure out how to justify just ordering a salad?

I don't mean to sound judgmental, but...

...you're doing it wrong.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I agree, steakhouses are a bit heavy for lunch and on a hot day to boot, but if you gotta, you gotta. Have a lighter breakfast than normal, eat whatever you want at the restaurant, get in a workout and eat a lighter dinner. PLAN for it. Besides, it's one day, no harm done.

As for the co-workers? who cares? I generally don't discuss the "what" and "why" of my eating habits with others unless we're close and I dine with them frequently. Rather than saying you can or can't have something, say "thank you" and take it or "no, thank you" and leave it. Explanations are not required.