APPLE CIDER VINEGAR?!

Options
So, I was talking to a co-worker and she said one of her friend's friend was putting ACV in her water to lose weight - so, of course, I had to look it up.

It seems to be true, that you can actually lose weight (while dieting and exercising, of course) when putting this in your water. There's also more benefits to this, such as whitening teeth, treating sunburns, helps with your skin, etc. Here's the site: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-5875/15-Reasons-to-Use-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Every-Day.html

What do you all think of this? I think I may just give it a try.

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Ohh heeellll nahhhhh That stuff is Nasty with a capital Nast!!! I tried marinating some skirt steak with that stuff and Blaaahh it Smells bad too!:sick:
  • bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options
    I actually read a really great article a while back about a study using Apple Cider Vinegar. The study found that drinking a tbsp of ACV in a cup of water after a high-glycemic meal helps with the sugar "crash". I decided to try it a couple of months ago and it really did seem to help! Not sure if it's just in my head, but after eating something really high in carbs or sugar, I would drink the concoction and I didn't feel the typical crash! Therefore I didn't feel the need to follow up the meal with more crap. I'll be interested to see what other people think on this topic. Wish I could find that article!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    eat less and move more....and save the apple cider vinegar for cooking
  • bryn10
    bryn10 Posts: 44
    Options

Haha yeah, I definitely don't believe in any magical cures. Calories in, calories out is always the way to go. Just curious if the health benefits of ACV are really true.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Haha yeah, I definitely don't believe in any magical cures. Calories in, calories out is always the way to go. Just curious if the health benefits of ACV are really true.

Are there health benefits? Yes.

Is it gross? Indisputably.

Is it really going to help with fat loss? Probably not.

Do I drink a shot of it every morning to wake up? Unfortunately.

Do I use a straw to avoid hurting the enamel on my teeth? Absolutely... which is why the idea of rubbing it on my teeth or sipping it throughout the day is absolutely bonkers.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    there's a pretty good recipe out there for sweet and sour cucumbers which as onions, cucumbers, sugar (I use Truvia) and apple cider vinegar. That's about the only way I ingest it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It seems to be true, that you can actually lose weight (while dieting and exercising, of course) when putting this in your water.

Or could it just be the diet and exercise?

C'mon...why is everyone always looking for some quick fix solution? That said, I haven't seen a good Cider Vinegar thread since about February or so...**** ton of them at new years and January. Note to self...by stock in Heinz Cider Vinegar next December...
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've actually come to like drinking ACV. Adding some lemon or honey at first can help with the taste.
    Do I think it's a magic bullet? Absolutely not. But, there seem to be lots of health benefits to drinking the UNFILTERED vinegar.
    I add 1-2Tbs. to a liter bottle and sip on it at work.
    Here's an entry from a blog I love about the health benefits, with references, http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2012/02/health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar-acv/
  • jujunnaichi
    jujunnaichi Posts: 86
    Options
    It is also supposed to be a good home remedy for gout. I found this out when I had a gout flare up, for the first time in my life, two weeks ago. I tried apple cider vinegar along with cherry juice, baking soda, etc.

I still ended up going to the doctor three days later.
  • sparkles9779
    sparkles9779 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally love apple cider vinegar and have for many many years used it for salad dressing and drank it lol... I am overweight so it hasnt really helped but I love all the good things it says it does. Btw my cholestrol is almost to low which i am sure is a result of many choices but they say that lowers it.. so i say it works ..
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Another benefit to this gross concoction is that it WILL keep the mosquitoes at bay if you drink it every day....gross, weird, but totally true.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Yeah well, I hear a lot of the same stuff and then some about a honey and cinnamon combo. There is no cure-all. If it sounds too good to be true, it IS to good to be true.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Watet + Vinegar, Sounds like a recipe for "SNAP BACK" (females) lolz
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It is excellent in pulled pork. Highly recommend.

Edit: And Coleslaw!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My son, the auto mechanic, had a customer in his 80s who would crawl under his car to watch the repairs being done. My son asked him how he was able to do this at his age. He replied that he drank apple cider vnegar ever morning.
  • GCAlexa610
    GCAlexa610 Posts: 6
    Options
    It has EXCELLENT health benefits! I use it ... take oen tablespoon first thing in the morning and last before bed. Have had no problems here and it seems to be helping w/ weight loss. I love the fact that it helps to speed up ones metabolism. That was the PLUS for me! Anywho, great stuff. Try it. I think youll like it.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt! I like to mix up a concoction of water, Bragg's ACV, honey and lemon extract, tastes like lemonade, although Bragg's also makes a couple of ACV drinks as well. I like to think it helps keep things moving along....
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I put it on my sliced cucumbers, radishes and sometimes tomatoes but I do it because it tastes good, not for any possible miracle health benefits. I use coconut oil because I like it and it smells heavenly but again, not because of all the 'amazing' health claims. Doesn't mean they aren't both decent food products.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    the link doesnt work so ill have to research it myself
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Question

Apple cider vinegar for weight loss: Effective?

Drinking apple cider vinegar for weight loss seems far-fetched. Does it work?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Drinking apple cider vinegar for weight loss isn't likely to be effective.

Proponents of the apple cider vinegar diet claim that drinking a small amount of apple cider vinegar before meals or taking an apple cider vinegar supplement helps curb appetite and burn fat. However, there's little scientific support for these claims.

Although occasional use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it won't likely lead to weight loss — and it may pose problems of its own. For example:
    Apple cider vinegar is highly acidic. It may irritate your throat if you drink it often or in large amounts.
    Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or drugs, including diuretics and insulin. This may contribute to low potassium levels.

Remember, there's no magic bullet for weight loss. The key to losing weight is burning more calories than you consume. Choose healthy foods — such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein — and include physical activity in your daily routine.