Doctor says eating below BMR is fine

Options

Replies

• KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I do get thats is a decent number to work out if your planning on weight loss as it gives you a rough idea of how to work out a caloric defecit, but i dont think it should be used as some sort of godly figure that your putting your life in danger if you dont meet, if that were true how come christian bale went on a 4 month crash diet eating only an aplle and can of tuna a day with a cup of coffe for a movie role? now unless that can of tuna was rather large or his bmr was very low i doubt that diet met his bmr or anything close, yet he wasnt dead after 4 months of doing it and hed lost about 60lbs..

http://i500.listal.com/image/1281828/500full.jpg
    Oh yes, his 75lb weight loss looked fantastic on him! So full of vigor and health.

"The producers of the film claim that Christian Bale dropped from about 173 pounds (78,4kg) in weight down to about 110 pounds (49,8kg) in weight to make this film. They also claim that Bale actually wanted to drop down to 100 pounds, but that **they would not let him go below 120 out of fear that his health could be in too much danger if he did**. His diet consisted of one can of tuna and an apple per day. His 63-pound (28,5kg) weight loss is said to be a record for any actor for a movie role."
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    people who've lost a measly 20 pounds think they know more than personal trainers.

You must have met different personal trainers than I have. I wouldn't trust the ones I've met to wash my windshield, let alone help me exercise correctly or formulate a dietary plan.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    You're not going to die and you will most likely lose weight faster.

But you will also most likely lose more muscle mass than you would with less of a caloric deficit which is probably.

And do you want to/feel good/have energy eating that much?

And when you're eating that much and your weight loss stalls, what will you do then? Eat less? That will be hard.

My advice, always eat as much as you can while still losing weight as a reasonable pace.

First off thanks for your post and conformation im not on a path to meet my maker, you can stay. only messing! :)

See thats the thing, unless my eyes are deceiving me (and im very harsh on myself at the best of times) ive not lost any muscle, the fact im able to train longer lift more and basically do more strength work suggests im getting stronger, im certainly not feeling weaker, but i can see a visual loss of fat from my stomach and ive been told that by others to, the fact my ab muscles are much more visual than they were suggests im losing fat certainly from that area.

Yes i feel great, at no stage do i feel tired, burnt out, hungry whatever, the food i eat feels plenty to me.

If my weight loss stalls? well then ill try and exercise for longer, maybe take a more detailed look into what im eating, with my weight going down so does my bmr if im not mistaken therefore i wont need to eat as much anyway, but id probably try and do a little more exercise first and foremost.

Of course, but thats my point, me eating what (i think) im eating isnt me depriving myself or certainly dosnt feel that way, from day 1 of stating this diet ive not craved food ive not been dying for a big mac and fries, not at all, i can honestly say not once have i sat around (and i do plenty of that) and felt physically starving, hence my food intake feels plenty for me, until that changes i see no reason to change my diet.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    Yeah because at the end of the day every person on here thinks they know more than a physician or people who've lost a measly 20 pounds think they know more than personal trainers.

I do what works for me and what's obvious (like not eating below 1200), rarely coming to these threads for advice.

Yup im the same, sensible healthy eating that satisfys my body to me seems a much healthier way to go than binging on excess calories to satisfy an online calculators ideas on whats right for me.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options

I do get thats is a decent number to work out if your planning on weight loss as it gives you a rough idea of how to work out a caloric defecit, but i dont think it should be used as some sort of godly figure that your putting your life in danger if you dont meet, if that were true how come christian bale went on a 4 month crash diet eating only an aplle and can of tuna a day with a cup of coffe for a movie role? now unless that can of tuna was rather large or his bmr was very low i doubt that diet met his bmr or anything close, yet he wasnt dead after 4 months of doing it and hed lost about 60lbs..

http://i500.listal.com/image/1281828/500full.jpg
    Oh yes, his 75lb weight loss looked fantastic on him! So full of vigor and health.

"The producers of the film claim that Christian Bale dropped from about 173 pounds (78,4kg) in weight down to about 110 pounds (49,8kg) in weight to make this film. They also claim that Bale actually wanted to drop down to 100 pounds, but that **they would not let him go below 120 out of fear that his health could be in too much danger if he did**. His diet consisted of one can of tuna and an apple per day. His 63-pound (28,5kg) weight loss is said to be a record for any actor for a movie role."

Awesome, you missed the point spectacularly, take a bow.
  • KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No, I understood the point exactly. I assume you missed the huge sarcastic inflection. I just wanted to bring to light that Christian Bale didn't die after 4 months. But he certainly looked it.

This is obviously a troll thread. I'm leaving the thread. Good day.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    people who've lost a measly 20 pounds think they know more than personal trainers.

You must have met different personal trainers than I have. I wouldn't trust the ones I've met to wash my windshield, let alone help me exercise correctly or formulate a dietary plan.

Sounds like your talents are being wasted bro, i say get out there and show em how its done, your obviously an expert.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    No, I understood the point exactly. I assume you missed the huge sarcastic inflection. I just wanted to bring to light that Christian Bale didn't die after 4 months. But he certainly looked it.

This is obviously a troll thread. I'm leaving the thread. Good day.

Missed it? of course, i genuinely sat here in a state of shock thinking you thought he looked great, you mean to say you didnt think that at all!?

Good good, dont let the door hit you on the way out, even though the point youve missed already has :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why the **** would anyone want to eat below their BMR? I could see if you had upwards of 100+ Lbs to lose...but barring that it's completely unnecessary. Personally, I like ****ing food...and drink. If I can lose weight at a steady pace eating more (but obviously still at a deficit of TDEE) then why would I choose to eat so much less. My BMR is 1,850 and I lost steadily grossing 2100 - 2200 calories per day when I was "dieting." What's the rush?

Also, people who eat at severe calorie deficits for prolonged periods of time may not die...but they sure look like **** with all the muscle loss and what not. Whatever OP...you have it all figured out...carry on.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've ran into a few posts in which people said that your organs will shut down, hair will fall out, and nails will brittle if you eat below BMR. Only on these forums!
  • bacitracin
    Options
    Sounds like your talents are being wasted bro, i say get out there and show em how its done, your obviously an expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwzOlWDVMw
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    Why the **** would anyone want to eat below their BMR? I could see if you had upwards of 100+ Lbs to lose...but barring that it's completely unnecessary. Personally, I like ****ing food...and drink. If I can lose weight at a steady pace eating more (but obviously still at a deficit of TDEE) then why would I choose to eat so much less. My BMR is 1,850 and I lost steadily grossing 2100 - 2200 calories per day when I was "dieting." What's the rush?

Also, people who eat at severe calorie deficits for prolonged periods of time may not die...but they sure look like **** with all the muscle loss and what not. Whatever OP...you have it all figured out...carry on.

Maybe its not the case a person WANTS to eat below their bmr? have you ever considered this? maybe a person uses their bmr to work out their TDEE and roughly what they burn a day and builds a weight loss plan around that? maybe a person dosnt live their life obsessing over an estimated bmr number? if that plan then leads them to eating less than a nice glossy bmr number estimated via an online calculator then so be it, if they feel comfortable eating at that level with no ill affects why shouldn't they if it works for them?

Here is an example, a guy has a bmr of 2500, he is house bound, he cant exercise due to physical problems, he lives a very sedentary life but wants to lose weight, how then does he do this eating 2500 calories a day? coz he sure as hell isnt burning 500 sat around the house all day.

What is the online obsession with this number? a number that varies on every website you use, a number that people havnt even been aware of for generations and have successfully lost weight? surely its better to live your life through listening to your body rather than listening to a calculator?
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    I've ran into a few posts in which people said that your organs will shut down, hair will fall out, and nails will brittle if you eat below BMR. Only on these forums!

Christ, its amazing how anyone ever lost weight, havnt seen many bald anorexic girls lately though, maybe they use wigs?
  • bacitracin
    Options

Yep, compared to them, I am. I'm fitter and healthier than they are. Sadly, LA Fitness will pretty much hire any Joe Schmoe off the street with a pulse as a personal trainer. IQ above room temperature not required.
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options

Yep, compared to them, I am. I'm fitter and healthier than they are. Sadly, LA Fitness will pretty much hire any Joe Schmoe off the street with a pulse as a personal trainer. IQ above room temperature not required.

Surely given your superior qualifications theyd hire you in a shot over these no nothing fools though? and that wasn't sarcasm its a genuine question, if these people are so dumb how did they get qualified in the first place? and if you know so much more why did you insist on seeing one in the first place?

Cheers for the youtube link by the way, found a video id be meaning to watch for ages :)
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    I would take the knowledge of a trained doctor over the so called knowledge of a non medically trained user of MFP. Any day.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me?!?!? Why would you listen to a doctor and not just search these forums for the answers?!?! :explode:
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    I would take the knowledge of a trained doctor over the so called knowledge of a non medically trained user of MFP. Any day.

Most sane people would id imagine, can you imagine walking into a doctor or dieticians room listening to his/her advice and then going" NO your soo wrong, Mr ilovestrawberrys from the internet told me that isnt right so im ignoring your advice see ya!

Youve then wasted time and money and made yourself look like a nob in the process.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There are so many armchair experts on these forums and the interwebs :laugh:

Eating below BMR for EXTENDED periods of time is unlikely to be a great idea as it can lead to problems with metabolic rate and a few other issues.

however, if you are doing it for a relatively short period of time, it's not going to kill you.

the question I would ask is how quickly do you plan to drop to 10% BF or below and why are you doing it? ie are you doing it so that you can get there and sustain that level long term? If so, a slow, measured approach is a better path than dropping kcals too low and getting there fast. Less chance of a weight gain/fat gain rebound once there. Also more time for your body to reset and adapt. The body is amazing in its ability to adapt :)

Being a full time carer also has it stressful side at times (mum and I are carers for my elderly dad). Make sure you look after mind and spirit as well as that body

:)