Critique my Lifting Plan

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
Hey All, I jsut recently changed up my lifting routine from StrongLifts 5x5 to a push/ pull split and was looking for advice/ critiques on this new plan. I'm hitting the gym 3-4 times a week and Im alternating bewteeen the 2 routines. I have been doing 5 sets of 5 reps for all exercises. Thanks!

Routine 1
Squat
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Incline Bench Barbells
Calf Raises
Tri Push Down
Leg Press

Routine 2
Squat
Seated Rows
Lat Pull Down
Bi Curls
T Bar Row
Trap Dead Lift

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You probably no more than me, but - I wonder if that's a bit much in one day doing 5x5 (as opposed to a higher reps lower weight body building style plan)?
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I like it, how about adding pull ups every other "Pull" day? I just feel like pull ups are really important.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    I like it, how about adding pull ups every other "Pull" day? I just feel like pull ups are really important.

I would LOVE to add pull ups, unfortunately it takes pretty much everything I have to just barely do one. I guess I can work on them and hopefully be able to do multiple some day.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    You probably no more than me, but - I wonder if that's a bit much in one day doing 5x5 (as opposed to a higher reps lower weight body building style plan)?

I'm far from an expert, but I switched from stronglifts because I really thought I could be doing more.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

I'm far from an expert, but I switched from stronglifts because I really thought I could be doing more.

I did stronglifts until I could Bench, Deadlift and Squat 3 rep max 1x my body weight, then I modified it to add in things I enjoyed doing like power cleans and isolation work on delts, arms and back. So far so good.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    The stuff I've read suggests that on calorie deficit (which I'm presuming you are, as you're not at the end of your ticker), if anything you should be reducing the compound exercises done.

I suppose it's a case of seeing how your body handles the recovery and if you keep making progress.

I'm probably in a similarish situation - a little over bodyweight for 5x on bench - one and a half times on squat and now about 10-15kg of two times on deadlift.

I've ended up with squat/bench/dead lift, squat/pull up/overhead press, squat/power clean/dip.
    Then I add maybe some curls etc and abs as I have time.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I would LOVE to add pull ups, unfortunately it takes pretty much everything I have to just barely do one. I guess I can work on them and hopefully be able to do multiple some day.

If you can't do a full pullup, what about inverted rows?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    5 x 5 for calves? I'd stick to a 8-12 range for calves, biceps, and triceps.

Squats & Deadlifts on the same day-so you're doing heavy Squats 4x a week? I'd do Squats on Push Day and Deadlifts on Pull Day. x2 a week going heavy on Squats & Deadlifts is more than enough (if not too much)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

But you understand that "doing more" might not translate into bigger, better or faster gains right?

At a 43 year old guy, doing that workout 5x5 would drain me to the bone and probably take me two hours.

I much prefer the modified 5x5 I do (closer to Reg Park's original plan) that gets me out of the weight room in under an hour.

there are some good plans at the link I added below that might meet your needs and not lead to overtraining as well:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/forget-steroids-5-fullbody-workouts-for-serious-gains.html
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

If you can't do a full pullup, what about inverted rows?

Not sure what those are, I'll have to look them up. Thanks!
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

Squats & Deadlifts on the same day-so you're doing heavy Squats 4x a week? I'd do Squats on Push Day and Deadlifts on Pull Day. x2 a week going heavy on Squats & Deadlifts is more than enough (if not too much)

Sorry, no i dont do 5x5 for the calves. That one i do 3 sets of 12-15

I think your advice on the squats and dead lifts sounds good. I'll probably do that.

Thanks!
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

But you understand that "doing more" might not translate into bigger, better or faster gains right?

At a 43 year old guy, doing that workout 5x5 would drain me to the bone and probably take me two hours.

I much prefer the modified 5x5 I do (closer to Reg Park's original plan) that gets me out of the weight room in under an hour.

there are some good plans at the link I added below that might meet your needs and not lead to overtraining as well:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/forget-steroids-5-fullbody-workouts-for-serious-gains.html

I do understand the idea that overtraining is not good.

However, I dont feel like i have been over training. It takes me about 1.5 hours which I'm fine with and i dont feel totally drained to the bone at the end. I feel tired, sweaty and like i got in a good workout.

Of course, I'll continue to judge this, and if it gets to be too much, ill make changes of course.

Thanks!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Drop the squats on pull day.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    My friend who can't do pull ups is doing sets of 5 lat-pull downs and making good progress so far, so that I reckon soon she'll be able to do at least one real pull up.
    (She insisted she could before, but failed to deliver when it came to doing a proper one from bottom to top.)
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We split into 4 workouts - each workout starts with one of the big ones (5x5 style), and then goes from there to more isolation exercises (6-8 rep range for 3-4 sets)

Legs - squats
    Chest/Tris - bench
    Back/Bi - deadlifts
    Shoulders - clean and press( or OHP)

Just a thought!
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    There isn't enough information written down to indicate whether or not it is a good lifting plan. We need weights, percentages, reps, sets and goals. Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training and therefore shouldn't be making your own training program. Stick with something simple and proven until you learn the ropes. Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    There isn't enough information written down to indicate whether or not it is a good lifting plan. We need weights, percentages, reps, sets and goals. Since none of this was listed, I am assuming you don't know anything about weight training and therefore shouldn't be making your own training program. Stick with something simple and proven until you learn the ropes. Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260
    Based on these lifts I would either continue on Stronglifts, Starting strength or The Texas Method.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260
    Based on these lifts I would either continue on Stronglifts, Starting strength or The Texas Method.

He's not ready for the Texas Method. Definitely stronglifts or starting strength. He still didn't say how many reps he hits these lifts for but it really doesn't matter. Even if he can do them for sets of ten he's still really, really weak and has a lot of linear progression left in him before he needs a periodized program like The Texas Method.

OP, Stronglifts and lots of food.
  • Rage_Phish
    Options

Squats - 195
    OHP - 95
    bench press - 135
    barbell row - 115
    deadlift - 225
    curls - 65
    tri push downs - 50
    lat pull down - 70
    seated rows - 120
    leg press - 260

He's not ready for the Texas Method. Definitely stronglifts or starting strength. He still didn't say how many reps he hits these lifts for but it really doesn't matter. Even if he can do them for sets of ten he's still really, really weak and has a lot of linear progression left in him before he needs a periodized program like The Texas Method.

OP, Stronglifts and lots of food.

Thanks for another ****ish response. Clearly stated reps and set in the first post.