Venting

Options
Along with my nutrition I have been trying to pump up my exercising, (completely out of shape) when does it get easier? Seriously, I walked/jogged for a mile and a half with a group of “fit” people and I get really discouraged… I know what everyone’s response to this is going to be, “keep going”, “you will get there”, and I know all of these things. BUT I just feel like giving up seriously, so my question is… Is there anyone out there that can relate to me right now? I know what you all thinking pity party over here.. But really don't really have people that would even remotely understand to talk to so it's just easier to type out my frustration.. Thanks for reading..

Replies

• TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Well, (said in the most kind and respectful way possible...) suck it up, buttercup! Most all of us have been there and experienced these feelings. When I started with the work out program I am currently on, I did 20 squats, 10 push ups, 30 jump rope, 20 sit ups and 20 back extensions and I was throwing up before I could even finish the rest of the "WARM UP"... but I went back and I went back and I went back. I've been at this for 2 years and while I haven't gotten where I want to be, I am so much better, so much stronger, and so much more driven than I used to be. so yeah... "hang in there" and "keep it up". It takes time and the only thing that will hold you back is you. Get out of your head and don't think about how hard it is, or how tired you are. Think about that next step, and then the next one, and then the next one... Don't give up, be tough, be strong!

Success is not final, and failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to stop comparing myself to others. Try focusing on setting small reachable goals for yourself. Next time, try to go 2 miles. Or 1.75 miles. Or even 1.55 miles. Just a little more than you did last time. Keep a log. After a month or so, look back at where you started. It's a great motivator!

And remember your "fit" friends had to start somewhere too. They didn't get fit overnight and neither will you. Compete only with yourself. Try to do a little more than you did last time.

Like TheApocalypse said.....yeah, "hang in there" and "keep it up." It's the only way you'll get where you want to be.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    About anyone who didn't workout for a long time and then started can relate. You just need to suck it up and keep going.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Well, (said in the most kind and respectful way possible...) suck it up, buttercup!

^^ This. This isn't what people like to hear, but this is what actually gets it done. Ask anyone who's in shape how they got there. They pulled up their big kid pants and went to work. Good luck!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Keep going.

You will get there.

Seriously. We've all felt like giving up.

But that's what separates the one's that make it and the one's that don't..

It does get easier.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that way about running, no matter how fit I am. So I do something else for exercise.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has been there, and will continue to be. It's hard work. If you're doing it right, it always will be. Once it starts paying off though, the momentum and motivation build up. You can draw off of that to get you through those days when you just want to quit. You've got this.

When all else fails, watch a Rocky movie.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i feell ike that
    i wont give up cuz i want t o get to onderland
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    it never truly gets easier. you get more accustomed to the "workout feeling" though. the first few days are THE worst. but it does get better. when I started lifting, I couldn't get out of bed the first couple days. it was terrible. now it kinda sorta hurts, but not nearly as bad.
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    Find an exercise you like. Try a bunch. I'd shoot myself if I had to run, but I love Zumba, and full body conditioning classes, and Pilates. Try them all. You'll find something that speaks to you.
  • lheaton
    lheaton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I did the first day of C25K yesterday and thought I was absolutely going to die. I can't imagine the day I jog 30 minutes solid. Seems impossible, but I'm not giving up yet - I just started! Trust me, I HATE IT, but we can do this girl!!!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It never gets easier, you only get better and then when you get better, you need to find new challenges.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The thing about running is that we can all do it, but we really can't. I mean, anybody can run for a minute. It's getting past that minute that takes a whole lot of conditioning and work. All runners felt like dying before we *really* learned how to run. I was convinced that it was physically impossible for me.

What you need to do is slow WAAAAY down. Run by yourself or with people at your same fitness level and build up your endurance over a period of weeks. If you have an iphone or an android, download a Couch to 5k app and work through it. Most of them are about 9 weeks long and require 30 minutes three times a week. Let me know if you want more suggestions to get started.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I had 2 back surgeries and was completely stagnate the last 5 years...

I started doing a bodyweight circuit to try to get back into some sort of shape, along with walking.

Yes, it sucks...it sucks ALOT..but you know what....after a couple of months now......I'm now doing many pushups, pullups, bw squats, etc.. and when I walk, 1 mile doesn't do it for my anymore, I have to walk 2-3 miles now.

You will adapt. Focus on small goals, don't go overboard, that is the recipe for stalling or "talking yourself" out of it.

I wish you great success!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has been there, and will continue to be. It's hard work. If you're doing it right, it always will be. Once it starts paying off though, the momentum and motivation build up. You can draw off of that to get you through those days when you just want to quit. You've got this.

When all else fails, watch a Rocky movie.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

Thanks for THIS. Perfect timing for me. :flowerforyou:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Along with my nutrition I have been trying to pump up my exercising, (completely out of shape) when does it get easier? Seriously, I walked/jogged for a mile and a half with a group of “fit” people and I get really discouraged… I know what everyone’s response to this is going to be, “keep going”, “you will get there”, and I know all of these things. BUT I just feel like giving up seriously, so my question is… Is there anyone out there that can relate to me right now? I know what you all thinking pity party over here.. But really don't really have people that would even remotely understand to talk to so it's just easier to type out my frustration.. Thanks for reading..

If you're feeling blue and frustrated, watch this true video about a guy named Arthur.. and bookmark it for the next time you feel down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Sounds like me when I started! Honestly, don't run/jog with people who are far more advanced than you. I had to make myself run alone (with my music or on a treadmill watching Netflix on the ipad) before I would run with anyone else. My finacee used to run track, but now I can beat his mile time when before, I wasn't even able to jog a quarter mile! Dedicate yourself to a specific training program with people who are at or near your current fitness level so you can improve together, or do it alone with people to support you. :)
  • M4rineMom
    M4rineMom Posts: 7
    Options
    Do you NOTICE it getting easier at all? By that I mean...could you ALWAYS walk/run a mile or a mile and a half? I can only DREAM of that right now. Today (so far...gonna try to get more in) I did 8.5 miles on a stationary bike...not all at once, but in 5 segments. 2 months ago I would have told anyone they were crazy if they said I'd be able to do more than 3 in a day.

I have accepted the following FACTS:

1. I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and be an athlete. I cannot focus on the END RESULTS I want...I have to focus on the RIGHT HERE/RIGHT NOW changes and improvements I notice. Today I did a 3 mile stretch on that stationary bike...all at once without stopping and without nearly dying and keeping at a 7-8mph pace. That might not impress some...but it makes ME feel pretty damn good considering I could only manage 3/10 of a mile at a time when I started out. Over the last two months I've only lost 8lbs. BUT when I got in my truck after my son had used it...I FIT. I didn't have to adjust the steering wheel or anything. LITTLE things like that I have come to embrace!!

2. I want to lose a LOT of weight...but I have made that a secondary goal. My PRIMARY goal is to FEEL GOOD. I want to be able to play with my grandchildren and nephews. I want HEALTH and the weight issue will resolve itself (Hopefully).

3. I'm ME...I'm different. There is NO magic formula...no "one size fits all"....EVERYONE has to find their OWN way in this journey...that's not to say you cannot try things that work for others or share thoughts/ideas...but it's NOT a team effort when it comes right down to it....all the support in the world won't make a damn bit of difference if the INDIVIDUAL doesn't want it.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Uselessly_Irrelevant Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I feel like giving up, and it's hard and I want "x" result *now* I just have to remind myself that it took a long time to get fat and out of shape and it's gonna take just as long to lose the fat and get in shape. I know that can be discouraging to some people, but to me I see it as a more realistic and attainable time-table.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I felt like that last August when I started just walking for exercise. It was hard. But it got easier. And then I lost more weight, and it got even easier. And now I'm tackling more things, and it's awesome.

Don't give up!