Losing weight for health or vanity?

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I lost it for both..But damn it feels good to be gangstahhh:)

and that will be stuck in my head all night, lol.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A lot of people fail at changing their eating/exercise habits, whether they're trying for health or vanity. There isn't one right answer.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A lot of people fail at changing their eating/exercise habits, whether they're trying for health or vanity. There isn't one right answer.
    Well that why we here to improve our eating and exercise habits. So is there another option besides health or vanity?
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    Both? Even those doing it strictly for vanity reasons can't do so without it impacting their overall health, so no matter what answer you get... the other is also relevant.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Started out for health, but now I want to build muscle for vanity.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has a bit of both. OF COURSE we want to look good, attractive and fit.

For me though, my first priority is to manage my health so I can be around for my two boys. I started seeing too many colleagues, friends, and family memebers getting overweight, stressed, and having health issuse as well as a few deaths. I knew I didn't want to be one of those people. I also had a serious bout with depression last year and working out helps center me. So those were big catalyst for my change.

Next would be my competitve nature. i play tennis in national ranked divisions and I wanted to be able to perform at the highest level I can. I NEED to compete as it feeds my soul.

Then yes, I want to look hot. I've always been kinda self-concious about my body and I want to work on those things that I can. Other things I will just have to accept.

Dat's about it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Health, vanity and the fact that I feel better then I have in years and years and years.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    vanity ....... :)
  • filionj1
    filionj1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    JDRZAL. Yes. I hear you. I'm proud of your accomplishments -- that you've been able to "relax" some and let success come your way. I wish I could say I have gotten to where you are, but ..no..... not yet. I'm still feeling fat and dumpy, beating myself up at the gym and not seeing any changes...scale or otherwise. I can't afford Weight Watchers or other paid programs. Just joined MyFitnessPal this week. I"m logging my food and exercise. We'll see how it goes.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well, I SHOULD say for health. But to be completely truthful, I'm losing weight for vanity purposes. I don't want to turn into an old, crotchety, hag of a woman who gets all the diseases and problems related to BEING old, crotchety and haggard! Okay, maybe I'm doing it for BOTH....I'm so confused...:ohwell:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well that why we here to improve our eating and exercise habits. So is there another option besides health or vanity?

Any motivation that works, works. Could be just proving someone wrong. Could be a desire for purpose. Who knows. Just saying there isn't one right answer.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I must admit in the beginning it was all about health. I lost my set goal weight. Now it's all about vanity to look good naked & not just with clothes on. Love the attention I am getting from my husband.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it was vanity. Now that I learned the joy of running, Its all about being healthy. Running has changed the game!!!!
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    lol, I'm vain. I've never been overweight, so I don't really know the struggles some people have with it, and I'm too young to truly comprehend how big of an issue my health will be in years to come.

But now that I'm in it, I've learned how out of shape I am. I can't run any distance worth anything.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    First of all, as I would any person, I'd like to commend you on the massive weight loss - that is fantastic - anyone like you inspires me to keep going. Second of all, I think everyone is selfish in some ways, and does want to lose weight to look good - hello - who doesn't want to look good (if not for finding the "one" or for their significant other and most importantly themselves)? I am doing it for both reasons, for health and just to FINALLY feel good about myself and to know when I look in the mirror, I'm seeing what I love. :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I was never "overweight" but I'm a vain motherf*cker :laugh:
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    JDRZAL. Yes. I hear you. I'm proud of your accomplishments -- that you've been able to "relax" some and let success come your way. I wish I could say I have gotten to where you are, but ..no..... not yet. I'm still feeling fat and dumpy, beating myself up at the gym and not seeing any changes...scale or otherwise. I can't afford Weight Watchers or other paid programs. Just joined MyFitnessPal this week. I"m logging my food and exercise. We'll see how it goes.

Is the same lady typing this the same lady that's in the photo? If so, stop kidding yourself, you're beautiful :)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Both! My measurements are really similar to that of Laura Garrett (google her if you want :P) and I want to look like her once that flab on my tummy is gone, and my legs get more toned! I agree that it's just a part of the process.
  • hayzeus1216
    Options
    I've gone through the vanity stage, been cocky, obnoxious and self-centered. Since being humbled by weight gain and an overall loss of health, I had not had a reason to get back to being healthy other than a desire to feel healthier, but I lacked the motivation. After my wife brought our two baby sons into the world, though, I had a reason. I didn't want to be too tired to play, too out of shape to coach and I wanted to be the superman for them my dad was for me. So now I'm back, and the reasons could not be better, and vanity isn't one of them.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I started because I was on the way to 30, and carrying extra pounds. if you don't turn it around at this point, you are in big trouble. Also its that horrible thing of running into people from like 10 years ago, and you look like ****.

before I started I had no idea how to eat healthy, how to cook really, what kind of foods to eat. I was a retard basically. once I got the hang of what foods to eat, I started feeling great, I had more energy and just in general felt so much better, digestively used to take like quite a lot of ant acids in the past for acid stomach / reflux, I actually forgot that but I found them the other day and was like, woah. gross.

so in the beginning it was because I couldn't go around thinking I'm gonna have a shot with the ladies looking chunky like that. yo yeh, actually I did it for the ladies. but now its also largely about health. I'm very careful what I put in my body now. don't drink hardly at all, don't smoke, don't do drugs, even try to avoid pain medications etc.

the reason I cant go back to my old ways is mainly because it makes me feel like *kitten* and once you are healthy like this it really is like... eww... nooo way.