Losing weight for health or vanity?

Options

Replies

• sherrylynn56
    Options
    I also just joined this past week or so. But mine is for the second time. The first time I went to a women gym and got talked into getting a fitness coach or trainer what ever. An I lost nothing. And I worked out hard for 1.50 hrs. three days a week until it started causing problems with my legs, plus work got in the way. I didn't do me any good. I didn't lose but 9 #'s in the 3 months I worked so hard at. I got depressed and gave up. But when I went to the Doctor I found out that I was insulin resistant . And my colesteral (misspelled) is a bit high. I have take meds for those two things. Now I am trying on my own with MFP's. I have had more encouragement then from any friends or family. I haven't lost any weight but I think I am just in this, my body is hanging on too the fat with a death grip at the moment but I should start losing soon I hope. I am walking on my treadmill at home for now until I can afford to get my membership at the gym again, so I can do the weights and other things at the gym.
    I am not wanting to lose weight for vanity, just for me and feeling better and a whole lot less pain in my legs and back hopefully. Also so I can do things with my grand kids that they like to do like run and hike and swim and not be uncomfortable in a swimsuit.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    you are right on that scale. And so many look down on you if you are heavy in any way. And I for one get tired of all the looks. So I am trying to lose and feel better for ME and no one else. So you loose the weight for you and you will be a lot happier for you. Good Luck :bigsmile:
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I did. I started out to lose weight AND be healthy. Now my main focus is health and the weight loss is a perk of that along with the feeling better, more energy, better attitude etc.

I wish more could realize this is the best way to live.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have to be somewhat physically okay for my job. I always barely pass the test. I want to beat that test and make it my gardening tool. Then I want to be able to open a can of whoop behind whenever I want.

I am in charge of felons in a kitchen as a sergeant. Male ones... that work out compulsively and can throw 60 lb boxes straight up 7 feet. I have some serious work to do.
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    Congrats to you . The people around you are just blind or they are big time jelous (misspelled) and wish they had the guts to do what you are doing for you self. Keep it up. Let them eat their heart out .: bigsmile:
  • sherrylynn56
    Options
    I hear you and AGREE 100%.: flowerforyou:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I lost it for both..But damn it feels good to be gangstahhh:)

Agreed. Reminds me of Office Space^ lol
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am doing it to feel good about myself whi cares if its for vanity or health as long as it makes you happy
    For me nothing taste as good as skinny feels.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Mainly for vanity. I didn't start off extremely overweight..I was a size 12. I just want to look like I have in the past..when i was skinny/fit and was comfortable with myself. (i am already feeling more comfortable) When you have been there before, It makes you even "hungrier" to get back to it.

Now that I have changed my eating habits and exercise regularly, I love the health benefits as well. Once I get to goal...I know the health benefits will outweigh everything. So I will continue to exercise regularly and eat well.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it for strictly vanity reasons. Nothing wrong with it. I am currently in the healthy range of weight anyways.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Health. I can't afford vanity. I am happy for those that chose vanity though. I think it is a great reason to lose weight as long as it doesn't drive one to an ED or doing other unhealthy things to lose.

I wish I could say vanity for myself. But, realistically I know that even when I get to a healthy weight I am still going to look freakish. I have a very large frame and I am short. My shoulders just aren't going to go anywhere no matter how much I lose I will look like I am wearing shoulder pads. And I still won't be able to just go and buy a bracelet that will fit me. But, I will be happy to be able to buy clothes in a normal store and it will be nice to be able to buy women's sweats instead of men's.
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos, with pcos comes a higher chance of being infertile and diabetic. Although im young, I've always wanted kids.. I always kid that I could never see nyself with kids vut if it comes true, I think it'll be devastating for me.

:) with weight loss comes with looking as a sexy beast too :p
  • LongHornHoney
    LongHornHoney Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • rebekahheiner
    rebekahheiner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Started out with the thought of looking hot in a bikini this summer. Now I work out because it makes me happy...the looking hot in a bikini is just an extra perk. ;)
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Both?

I'm losing weight because it is making my health suffer. I want to lower my blood pressure and fasting blood sugar and waist circumference and over all body fat.

I'm also losing weight because there is a certain look I'm after and I'm not going to get it without losing weight.

So both and one reason is no more valid than the other.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Initially, for vanity. But then as time progressed, I liked how good I felt. Then I started making better choices in my foods. So now it's more for my health and wellbeing.
  • KPMP1992
    KPMP1992 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm losing weight mainly for health reasons, and because I know what my "feel good" weight is (and this ain't it). ;)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Both. And sex. I don't know if that comes under health or vanity.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    the general consensus is bit of both...

You need to think of it like this....'Being healthy and fit is within our control and imperative as it's a necessity; why not look hot as whilst doing so?'

That's my mentality.

I lost a lot of weight a year ago due to a significant amount of stress in my life (I am talking dropping 8 kilos in a matter of weeks I was SKINNY- UNHEALTHY) I am almost at the same size but muscly and actually eat and have consistent workouts.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    See, this is GREAT! When a perk is looking good, and that is sooo true. Because in the end it is and will ALWAYS be about HEALTH!!!