Still think 'eating organic' isn't worth it?

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    So because a farmer inhaled concentrated doses of a chemical, likely over a long period, only organic foods are safe to eat.

Sounds legit.

You win!!!!!
  • quietattheback
    quietattheback Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There is little or no health benefits from eating organic.

"After analyzing the data, the researchers found little significant difference in health benefits between organic and conventional foods. No consistent differences were seen in the vitamin content of organic products, and only one nutrient — phosphorus — was significantly higher in organic versus conventionally grown produce (and the researchers note that because few people have phosphorous deficiency, this has little clinical significance). There was also no difference in protein or fat content between organic and conventional milk, though evidence from a limited number of studies suggested that organic milk may contain significantly higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids."

"“Some believe that organic food is always healthier and more nutritious,” said Smith-Spangler, who is also an instructor of medicine at the School of Medicine. “We were a little surprised that we didn’t find that.”
    For me its not looking to gain greater nutrition from what i consume but rather to avoid the "added extras" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2012050/The-cocktail-20-chemicals-glass-milk.html
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There is little or no health benefits from eating organic.

"After analyzing the data, the researchers found little significant difference in health benefits between organic and conventional foods. No consistent differences were seen in the vitamin content of organic products, and only one nutrient — phosphorus — was significantly higher in organic versus conventionally grown produce (and the researchers note that because few people have phosphorous deficiency, this has little clinical significance). There was also no difference in protein or fat content between organic and conventional milk, though evidence from a limited number of studies suggested that organic milk may contain significantly higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids."

"“Some believe that organic food is always healthier and more nutritious,” said Smith-Spangler, who is also an instructor of medicine at the School of Medicine. “We were a little surprised that we didn’t find that.”

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/september/organic.html

however, the benefits to the environment I'm unsure of. In the example with the farmer who developed neurological problems, yes pesticides can do that. Eating organic though doesn't change that. The pesticides that can cause those issues have been banned and removed from the FDA, but they still may be in the soil and environment causing issues for people that live there.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/pesticides-and-parkinson-s-more-242364.aspx

What really needs to happen is for us to find more sustainable farming methods, completely removing all pesticides, genetic engineering and so on, probably isn't going to solve all the issues.

Well said!
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    WOW, finally a win against Monsanto!!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Thanks for sharing
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Sorry but there is no way on earth I'm paying $8 a kilo of bananas when I can buy them for $2. No way I'm paying $9 punnet of blueberries when I can get them for $3.

It's NOT worth it, not price wise & if that is what it comes down to then I wont be eating...cause I wont be able to afford anything.

I'll stick with my washed food thanks.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The article has nothing to do with organic food.

Organic farming is too inefficient to feed the population.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Organic from the supermarket is overpriced. I get all my produce and dairy from an organic supplier delivered to my house and I actually save money on my grocery bills from before.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Fuzzy logic going on here, as usual. Comparing someone who actually inhaled the pesticide while working with it and eating food grown through the benefit of pesticide is ludicrous.

Did you know if you drink too much water, you can drown? Are you therefore going to ban drinking water? Or ban food because people can eat too much, become obese, and die?

If you don't understand why pesticides, consider the Irish potato famine in the 1800's where the potato crop was decimated by blight causing starvation and mass emigration (my forebears among them). Pesticides would have stopped this happening.

Try telling people in third world countries struggling to feed themselves with meagre crop yields and battling in the face of drought, etc, that they should avoid pesticides and grow food naturally. We are fortunate enough in the West to be able to choose to eat organic food if we perceive any advantage, but this does not mean we should preach to others less wealthy than we are. I am all for seasonal food, cutting down food miles, growing food naturally where we can do so without detriment to others.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i love the free range argument, it really makes my day,

if we are worried about a chickens welfare, in terms of its living environment and quality of life, surely kidnapping its children everyday is the worst thing we can do? if chickens are emotional enough to be worried about sunshine then surely they would have a bond with there undeveloped embryo?

i mean, is it just me or is child abduction awful whether you live in a nice house or a crappy shack?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

if we are worried about a chickens welfare, in terms of its living environment and quality of life, surely kidnapping its children everyday is the worst thing we can do? if chickens are emotional enough to be worried about sunshine then surely they would have a bond with there undeveloped embryo?

i mean, is it just me or is child abduction awful whether you live in a nice house or a crappy shack?

Damn, I've just had two boiled eggs for breakfast, now I feel guilty............
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    are you going to pay for my groceries? i buy organic when i can, but sometimes it just too expensive.

Check your local farmer's markets, also, see what you can grow at home. Sometimes just a few little things help in the big picture. The one good thing is that organic foods are starting to really come down in price. A lot of times fruits and veggies are less than 50 cents more per kg/lb

I do but i live in Ca and the price for organic is kind of crazy sometimes. I wish it was only 50 cents more but its not. Also the farmers market isnt cheaper than going to the reg grocery store for me it's actually a good chunk more expensive. i've been thinking of starting my own veg garden though.

Look at the "Clean 15" and "Dirty Dozen" list for which produce is highly suggested to buy organic-- and just get those organic. The Clean 15 are fruits/veggies that have been tested and shown not to have a lot of residual pesticides. Dairy and meat are definitely things that should be bought organic
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You're comparing someone who was working with and inhaling this stuff daily in what would appear to be large quantities with eating the odd bit of fruit and veg that isn't organic?

More scaremongering.

I'm sure you can do permanent damage inhaling solvents should I stop licking my envelopes to seal them?

I assume you did not read the article, and scaremongering? Please.

here:

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), exposure to alachlor can cause damage to the liver, kidneys, spleen, and eyes, and may lead to the development of anemia and even cancer. The EPA apparently views alachlor as so dangerous, in fact, that the agency has set the maximum contaminant level goals (MCLG) for alachlor to zero in order to “prevent potential health problems.” (http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/basicinformation/alachlor.cfm)

zero, ZERO contaminant levels. So it is not just 'inhaling' the chemicals, it also includes INGESTING the chemicals. Basic science will tell you that plants sprayed with the chemicals show up in the fruits/veggies that are produced.

Of course you can do damage inhaling solvents, that's why there are warnings on toxic chemicals telling you to not inhale them.

Oh, and I quit licking envelopes a long time ago, didn't you watch that one Seinfeld episode?

ZOMG did you realize there are chemicals in organic foods too? Also organic farmers use pesticides...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    A friend posted this on her FB, We've been chatting about eating organic and clean, love that she has so much info on it.

It isn't until it's no longer treated like a commodity available only to the affluents.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the nerve of that evil corporation. They didn't even release a buffalo ranch flavored lasso to go with clorox's new hot wing flavored bleach.
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Finally a court with some common sense and integrity! Thanks for sharing :-)
  • simplyamandak
    Options
    I respect the right of others to eat organic, but it isn't for me.

i don't understand how anyone could say that eating stuff grown from the earth in the way it's been done for thousands of years "isn't for them" in comparison to supporting mega-corps like Monsanto using genetically modified organisms, pesticides, and invasive gene therapy. 1 hour of research into the disgusting business practices of Monsanto should scare anyone.

the only reason organic is more expensive is because corps like Monsanto have a stranglehold on big farm.

we shouldn't be calling naturally grown food 'organic'. It's 'normal'. Everything else should get stuck with a name.

Even the label 'organic' has been co-opted by big business thanks to the US gov't. I know many small farmers in my area that have always been organic... but can't afford the massive fees it can take to now 'prove' you're organic. Those fees and other obstacles were put in place by lobbyists working for Monsanto and other mega-corps.

THIS. Thank you! I couldn't have said it better.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

i don't understand how anyone could say that eating stuff grown from the earth in the way it's been done for thousands of years "isn't for them" in comparison to supporting mega-corps like Monsanto using genetically modified organisms, pesticides, and invasive gene therapy. 1 hour of research into the disgusting business practices of Monsanto should scare anyone.

the only reason organic is more expensive is because corps like Monsanto have a stranglehold on big farm.

we shouldn't be calling naturally grown food 'organic'. It's 'normal'. Everything else should get stuck with a name.

Even the label 'organic' has been co-opted by big business thanks to the US gov't. I know many small farmers in my area that have always been organic... but can't afford the massive fees it can take to now 'prove' you're organic. Those fees and other obstacles were put in place by lobbyists working for Monsanto and other mega-corps.

HALLELUJAH, someone speaks sense.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

No, it's more like talking it's periods or some other wacky vegan argument I heard once on the internets.

Repeat after me: Chickens are not people.