SEXIST friend.

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Jack-Off-Jill did a cover of The Cure's Love Song. They did it well.

You really should drop this douche-canoe friend of yours. There is no rule in life saying the ONLY guys can sing certain songs.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member

This just made my whole day. thanks for this. lol
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Me & Bobby McGee

Janis Joplin's cover got that song to top the US singles charts . . . yes her COVER of that song.

here's a list of songs she covered: http://www.coversproject.com/artist/janis joplin/
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Sweet dreams was originally written for a man and was rocked by annie lennox.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Sweet dreams was originally written for a man and was rocked by annie lennox.

But rocked harder by Marilyn Manson

Ya never mind that doesn't count.:happy:
  • Sachan7
    Sachan7 Posts: 2
    Lulu, 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' - by David Bowie
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    The basic premise of that comment is just ridiculous and doesn't even deserve disproving. But Me and Bobby McGee is what first came to mind. Chromosomes have nothing to do with it.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    "I Want You To Want Me" Originally done by Cheap Trick, covered by Letters to Cleo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EywyJj_uHpw
    (I cant get no) Satisfaction and My Prerogative were both redone by Britney Spears

I think the idea was a song done BETTER by a female artist... not butchered. :noway:
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed Posts: 19 Member
    Der Erlkonig was written for a man (Look for Dietrich Fischer Diskau) but Jesse Norman is fantastic at it.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Not famously, but the best karaoke rendition of House of the Rising Sun I have ever heard was done by a woman. It gave me goosebumps it was so good.
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Marie Laforet, a french singer, covered "Paint It Black" by The Rolling Stones, It's in french though, so if you know french it's a really good cover.

I love this. Thanks for posting it. :)
  • singitella
    singitella Posts: 40
    Respect was originally done by a man, Otis Redding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JGJXmpKGXY
    Seems perfect.
  • expoduck
    expoduck Posts: 59
    Speaking as a fellow female musician - sing whatever the hell you like and get a new friend. :)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    "I Walk the Line" Marshall Chapman
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    My mom is a singer in a classic rock cover band. She sings all kind of songs done by males singers:

Never been any reason- Head East
    Babe I'm gonna leave you- Zeppelin (plus others)
    Gimme Shelter- Rollings Stones ( or any Stones song)
    Bennie and the Jets- Elton john
    It's a long way to the top- AC/DC

Many more. They do some Motown/funk/ country.. etc.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    it's a band example; but the vocalists are male and then female respectively. "We're going to Barbados" which was covered by Vengaboys as "We're going to Ibiza" While immeasurably better than the original, it still remains atrocious.

While it's a folk song so nobody really knows who sang it first; the first recording of "Where have all the flowers gone" is by the Kingston Trio. Yet, the best ever rendition of it is by Marlene Dietrich.

any song sung by Ella Fitzgerald. For instance "Let's call the whole thing off" was first recorded by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers but the Ella solo version is just brilliant.
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    "Across the Universe" by Fiona Apple - originally done by The Beatles (I know, a bit blasphemous, but it's a beautiful song.)
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    Many female/male duets work because of the two sexes singing.
    Case in point, "You're The One That I Want" from Grease (Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta)
    "Suddenly" from Xanadu (Olivia Newton-John and Cliff Richard)

Under The Gun was sung on separate occasions by Sheila Walsh and Cliff Richard
    Hold Me Tight was sung by the Beatles and then later by Evan Rachel Wood
    Even the title song Xanadu was sung by Olivia Newton-John and later by Jeff Lynne
    there are literally hundreds more examples, but these are the first handful that came to mind.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Anyone remember K.D. Lang performing "Hallelujah" at the Winter Olympics ceremony? Spine-tingling.