My doctor vs MyFitnessPal and calories

Options
14567810»

Replies

• riboui
    riboui Posts: 8
    Options
    I just want to know if I eat maybe only 1/3-1/2 of my exercise calories back is it going to be detrimental to my weight loss. Is there anyone here that doesn't eat all their exercise calories back?

I wouldn't worry about it. There are times when I'm too tired to eat after exercise, and others where I'm ravenously hungry. I just listen to my body and proceed accordingly.

Although most advice is based on a 24 hour cycle, I don't think our nutrition, or our body's adaptation to change works that way.
  • smalls9686
    smalls9686 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT DO A LAPBAND!

It will not solve your issue! 99.9% of the time obesity has a direct mental/emotional link or is tied directly to a sloth-like lifestyle. Solve either or both of those issues and eat a healthy diet... add in a ton of commitment and perseverance and you will see a significant change in your body.

I have a co-worker, female, obese, Type 2 Diabetic (with sugar in the high 100's on average). She was told the lapband would get rid of her Diabetes (LOL). Well of course it didn't and while yes she has lost a lot of weight, she has not lost a lot of fat. She still looks doughy, still doesn't exercise, and keeps a friggin' bucket of jelly beans in her cubicle. All that money wasted and she still hasn't addressed the real issues that have kept her heavy.

As for doctors... there's a reason they call it 'practicing' medicine...

I hear ya, and I don't want something so life changing, in fact I have already lost enough weight that I don't even qualify now for mu insurance to cover =-)
  • smalls9686
    Options
    Your doctor doesn't understand MFP or how it works. Have her check out the website...I bet she'll be a beleiver!

Funniest thing was that she suggested that I use this site (Never heard of it until her!) to track my food and exercise to show her what I was doing when I come in for my appt. So she is very familiar with it...so that is't the issue or doesn't seem to be.

This makes sense to me - my nutiritonist.dietician suggested MFP as a way to log and keep track, but she's also not a believer in eating back what you exercise.

It might be a good idea for your Doc to take a look at what MFP suggests and why - maybe then she'd understand more.
  • smalls9686
    Options
    Your doctor doesn't understand MFP or how it works. Have her check out the website...I bet she'll be a beleiver!

Funniest thing was that she suggested that I use this site (Never heard of it until her!) to track my food and exercise to show her what I was doing when I come in for my appt. So she is very familiar with it...so that is't the issue or doesn't seem to be.

This makes sense to me - my nutiritonist.dietician suggested MFP as a way to log and keep track, but she's also not a believer in eating back what you exercise.

It might be a good idea for your Doc to take a look at what MFP suggests and why - maybe then she'd understand more.

Talked to my Dr. today she clarified she wanted me to use MFP because it was a great FREE site to track what I ate, drank, and exercised in one place by phone and computer. She likes it because when I come in she cane see exactly what I am doing an when for accountability purposes...not for instructions because as some have said here that is what I pay her for =-) So it's not that she doesn't understand MYP theory she just doesn't agree that anyone should feel forced to eat if they are not hungry.

Like tonight for example I need to eat almost another 900 calories before bed...it's almost 10:30 It's aint gonna happen I had a 350 calorie protein smoothie after running around 9 I am not hungry! I will try to get in another 2-300 but that is pushing it.