My doctor vs MyFitnessPal and calories

Options

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DO NOT DO A LAPBAND!

It will not solve your issue! 99.9% of the time obesity has a direct mental/emotional link or is tied directly to a sloth-like lifestyle. Solve either or both of those issues and eat a healthy diet... add in a ton of commitment and perseverance and you will see a significant change in your body.

I have a co-worker, female, obese, Type 2 Diabetic (with sugar in the high 100's on average). She was told the lapband would get rid of her Diabetes (LOL). Well of course it didn't and while yes she has lost a lot of weight, she has not lost a lot of fat. She still looks doughy, still doesn't exercise, and keeps a friggin' bucket of jelly beans in her cubicle. All that money wasted and she still hasn't addressed the real issues that have kept her heavy.

As for doctors... there's a reason they call it 'practicing' medicine...
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    HCG is NOT illegal! Who told you that? I am currently using it as prescribed by my doctor.

*cough* non-prescription... yes it is *cough*

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm
  • DitchTheMcFlurry
    Options
    Hmmm this thread sounds familiar.....

Go with your doc, he/she knows you better than anyone on here does therefore his/her advice will be better than anyone on here can give you, bare in mind the advice you get on here is from that persons experience, that dosnt mean its what YOU should be doing.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    HCG is NOT illegal! Who told you that? I am currently using it as prescribed by my doctor.

*cough* non-prescription... yes it is *cough*

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm281333.htm

I couldn't help but to read this when I was reading the link provided.....

A Potentially Dangerous Diet
    Living on 500 calories a day is not only unhealthy—it’s hazardous, according to FDA experts. Consumers on such restrictive diets are at increased risk for side effects that include gallstone formation, an imbalance of the electrolytes that keep the body’s muscles and nerves functioning properly, and an irregular heartbeat.

Just sayin'....
  • jimisdegimis
    Options
    I almost never eat all my calories back, I burn around 1200 a day, and end up eating back maybe 500 tops, I just got around a bit of a plat, sort of on the home stretch now and I'm losing about 2 lbs a week.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You need to choose who you're going to listen to.

If you want to listen to your doctor then just use MFP as a tool to track calories and ignore the warnings.

If you want to listen to MFP then don't go to your doctor any more.

I can't tell you who is right. You have to make that choice yourself.

This is generally good advice. At the end of the day you have to pay attention to the signals your body gives you and go from there. My personal preference is NOT to purposefully eat back exercise calories, but I will eat some of them if I am hungry.

From everything I have read both for/against 'starvation mode' I cannot say whether it is a legitimate concern. Apparently you were on a lower calorie diet and had no energy therefore you needed more calories. My guess is that the 16 lbs you lost on the first month were a combination of water/body acclimation/early data anomalies. You have lost 4 lbs in two weeks...I would love to see that.

I would say first listen to your body and its signals, second listen to your doctor (if you doctor gives you something you do not like then you can modify and talk to the doctor), third listen to other sources (MFP, etc.).

Good luck on your journey. :-)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Your doctor doesn't understand MFP or how it works. Have her check out the website...I bet she'll be a beleiver!

Funniest thing was that she suggested that I use this site (Never heard of it until her!) to track my food and exercise to show her what I was doing when I come in for my appt. So she is very familiar with it...so that is't the issue or doesn't seem to be.

This makes sense to me - my nutiritonist.dietician suggested MFP as a way to log and keep track, but she's also not a believer in eating back what you exercise.

It might be a good idea for your Doc to take a look at what MFP suggests and why - maybe then she'd understand more.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason you need to lose weight in a short period of time and this reason outweighs the possible problems associated with extreem low calorie diets, then it would be illogical to follow your MD's advice.

The logic: A smaller calorie deficit (such as recommended by mfp), along with exercise, and continuing education about portion sizing and nutrition will result in a healthier body, as well as the education and tools you will need to maintain.

It is not logical to starve yourself thin and then try to undo the harm done by your methods to get there, and then re-learn propper nutrition and eating.

Just my take on the situation. (and no, most medical doctors do NOT recieve enough education on nutrition)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Is this a bariatric doctor? Is this your primary doctor or are you seeing him/her specifically for weight loss?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have a serious issue on my hands my doctor has me on a 900-1100 calorie diet MFP wants me not to go under 1200. However, on days I exercise which is 4-6 days a week and I burn 500-800 and MFP wants me to eat back all of those calories. My doctor (who does specialize in weight loss)says no! She says of course if I feel hungry eat, but I should not "force myself" to eat all of them back if I am not hungry just because "the computer tells me so." But I have seen so many post that my weight lost will stall which it seems like it has. I am down 16 pounds my first month but in the last 2 weeks I have lost 4 so most of the weight I lost was in the first few weeks. I am really concerned that my weight lost will stall. My body fat is dropping so I am not losing muscle which is good. It is really hard to eat back that much calories.

So the question really isn't who to listen to, but more does anyone NOT eat all their exercise calories back and still have steady weight loss?
    My opinion ---- Keep working with your doctor. Introduce MFP to her. Print and show her some of your food diary reports too. Make this a team effort. Your doctor working with you and your preferred tool. Low calorie diets 'for awhile' may be what is needed to get your going, but your method, calorie count etc. should change some as your body changes. If you have lots to lose you will lose a lot more at first and eventually slow down to a slower but more steady loss while your body adapts. Keep educating your self. Be good to yourself and be aware how you feel. Energetic, lethargic, etc. You are the one ultimately in control. PS I usually eat most but not all my exercise calories back. If I was not hungry, I did not eat.
  • jmmnhi
    jmmnhi Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes I have. Honestly, eating my daily calories is enough and I am satisfied. I couldn't imagine eating back the calories from working out. That would be so much more food, I don't think my body could handle that and it would make me sick.
  • heatherminshull
    Options
    I would say the same. Your doctor wants you to lose weight. Keep an exercise diary and show it to her. She will adjust accordingly.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Your doctor knows you better than we do and better than some generic online calculator does. Trust him/her. Or get a second opinion.

But when it comes to the advice of a medical degree vs a website, always go with the medical degree.

My cousin works for a doctor who prescribes HCG for weight loss, which is illegal. There are doctors who put feeding tubes in people for weightloss. Sure you wanna stick with that statement??

Doctors are normal people, there are plenty out there who want to make $$$ off of vulnerable people.

HCG is also sold in WalMart I believe...never tried it but it's definitely not illegal. And Doctors *generally* want the best for their patients. Everyone is bashing weight loss doctors (and family docs as well as others), but I bet if any of you had a serious medical condition you'd magically gain faith in Doctors again. Why are a lot of people hating on Doctors? I think the lady was originally asking if anyone had success without eating back all the calories..not if Doctors suck.

HCG is ILLEGAL if not prescribed. And just to re-enforce the 'any doctor who would prescribe this unless a last resort is a quack. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091

Quoting the whole article.
    No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.

So why has there been so much talk about the HCG diet? Perhaps it's because the diet recommends severe calorie restriction — typically just 500 to 800 calories a day. People who follow such a very low calorie diet are likely to lose weight, at least in the short term. However, that level of calorie restriction has risks, such as gallstone formation, irregular heartbeat, and an imbalance of the electrolytes that keep the body's muscles and nerves functioning properly.

If weight loss is your goal, there are safer ways to lose weight. Talk with your doctor or other health care provider about how to make healthy changes that lead to permanent weight loss, such as eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.

Also, anybody who takes their doctors' word without thoroughly investigating everything is a fool. If it sound hinky, time to ask questions. If the doctor refuses to answer those questions, time for a new doctor. There are bad doctors, there are pompous ones that assume they know more than they do and let's not forget EVERY SINGLE ONE of those famous fad diets is endorsed by - you guessed it, a doctor.

A PHD doesn't make them all knowing and all seeing. Do your research. Ask questions. Your health IS your responsiblity. Don't just trust it to anyone with a damned degree.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    yeah, I think it is time to find a new doc! How much weight are you trying/needing to lose? 900-1100 calories in my opinion is way too low and can cause a lot of other health issues. Your body needs proper nutrition to function every day. Please, I beg of you, go find another dr. Remember that just because they were able to get a degree doesn't mean they are good at their job. I have gone to doctors and actually had to teach them how to read my blood tests. Needless to say, I immediately found a new doc.

Thanks for your concern, not sure how much I "need to loose yet" according to some I need to loose 100 pounds others 70. Lol, I have never been a normal weight as an adult I have been up and down and in between and always dieting or engaging in some unhealthy behavior to maintain some unnatural size so I really am trying to figure out what is a healthy weight I can realistically maintain.

I have been to ALOT of doctors some world famous (I.e. Duke University's Atkin's Diet Clinic its self) and I thought the guy was a complete and total quack. So I hear ya, a degree does not automatically mean anything. But I also, that every medical weightloss clinic I have ever been to calories are far less than any websites suggested and I am not sure if that is b/c a website legally can't suggested that b/c they are medically supervising you or if it's really not safe...you know?

I just want to know if I eat maybe only 1/3-1/2 of my exercise calories back is it going to be detrimental to my weight loss. Is there anyone here that doesn't eat all their exercise calories back?

I am older than some on here and it seems to me that some of the dieting standards have changed over the years. When I was younger it was not unusual for the typical diet to recommend 900 - 1000 calories. I do know that did not work for me. I have lost on here and reached my goal by eating between 1200-1400 calories plus some of my exercise calories. By doing that I feel I am allowing for any err in calculating either my exercise or food calories. It is what has worked for me, but everyone is different. You need to do what you feel is right for you and I wish you success.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat my exercise calories back unless I am beyond famished. I also am on a low calorie diet (500-1200 depending upon the day), and I lose weight regularly with the low calorie diet and not eating my calories back. I run 3.2 miles each day Monday-Friday, and I do 3-5 hr hikes on the weekends. I have found that I need to see the change in my weight, and I don't plateau as much this low. If I don't see small changes, I tend to binge.

Good luck!
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your doctor knows you better than we do and better than some generic online calculator does. Trust him/her. Or get a second opinion.

But when it comes to the advice of a medical degree vs a website, always go with the medical degree.

My cousin works for a doctor who prescribes HCG for weight loss, which is illegal. There are doctors who put feeding tubes in people for weightloss. Sure you wanna stick with that statement??

Doctors are normal people, there are plenty out there who want to make $$$ off of vulnerable people.

HCG is also sold in WalMart I believe...never tried it but it's definitely not illegal. And Doctors *generally* want the best for their patients. Everyone is bashing weight loss doctors (and family docs as well as others), but I bet if any of you had a serious medical condition you'd magically gain faith in Doctors again. Why are a lot of people hating on Doctors? I think the lady was originally asking if anyone had success without eating back all the calories..not if Doctors suck.

HCG is ILLEGAL if not prescribed. And just to re-enforce the 'any doctor who would prescribe this unless a last resort is a quack. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091

Quoting the whole article.
    No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.

So why has there been so much talk about the HCG diet? Perhaps it's because the diet recommends severe calorie restriction — typically just 500 to 800 calories a day. People who follow such a very low calorie diet are likely to lose weight, at least in the short term. However, that level of calorie restriction has risks, such as gallstone formation, irregular heartbeat, and an imbalance of the electrolytes that keep the body's muscles and nerves functioning properly.

If weight loss is your goal, there are safer ways to lose weight. Talk with your doctor or other health care provider about how to make healthy changes that lead to permanent weight loss, such as eating a balanced diet and getting regular exercise.

Also, anybody who takes their doctors' word without thoroughly investigating everything is a fool. If it sound hinky, time to ask questions. If the doctor refuses to answer those questions, time for a new doctor. There are bad doctors, there are pompous ones that assume they know more than they do and let's not forget EVERY SINGLE ONE of those famous fad diets is endorsed by - you guessed it, a doctor.

A PHD doesn't make them all knowing and all seeing. Do your research. Ask questions. Your health IS your responsiblity. Don't just trust it to anyone with a damned degree.

ok I LITERALLY saw them on the shelf myself at Walmart... I don't think Walmart would be selling something that's illegal. I don't know how safe they are or whatever, but I do know that I saw them.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=hcg+drops&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from another md. how long have you been seeing this doc?
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories anymore. When I first started I didn't eat them and I lost weight just fine. But then I started reading about starvation mode here and I got scared, and I started eating them back. However, when I did that, I didn't lose weight. I just maintained. Then I stopped eating them back, and I started losing again. I still can't eat them back even though I am breastfeeding. Lol. I am jealous of the people who can lose weight while eating their exercise calories. I certainly am not one of them. I just wanted to add that if I do feel hungry I do eat more, so it's not like I never go over my calories.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If your question is whether or not to eat your exercise calories back, then by MFP's standards, yes, you should.

It's my opinion your doctor has you on a much too low calorie diet already which is only increased by any workouts you do. When you eat at a very low calorie limit for an extended period (weeks or more), your hormones get thrown off and your body will actually hold on to the fat. In prolonged extreme calorie deficits, you actually lose your lean body mass (muscle), making your body less efficient at burning calories at rest. This is why 'crash dieters' often gain back any weight they lose and then some - they've caused metabolic damage which can take a lot of time, patience, and healthy habits to try to reverse.

I have several friends who, through hard work and adherence, have managed to lose over 100lbs or more. It wasn't always quick and it definitely wasn't always easy - you have good days and bad days, but general adherence, staying active, and watching your diet can get you the results you want - no lap band or crash diets necessary.

Please know that if you choose to increase your caloric intake, you should do it gradually over the case of a few weeks. Any time you increase your intake, you are bound to gain a little weight, whether it's water weight or your body holding on to those calories for dear life since it gone without for so long. Don't let this worry you or cause you to back off from your plan. Give any changes at least 6-8 weeks (and make sure you document everything very well) before you decide something won't work for you. Weight loss is a science experiment, you just have to try to remove the emotional side of it and concentrate on the results.

Best of luck.