Options
    L9ldZqJ.png
    You need these.

NEED.

^^^ THIS.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I definitely recorded my turning over a garden. 683 calories burned in 100 minutes of turning over a new garden, ( shoveling, flipping the dirt and breaking it up), according to my heart rate monitor. (with chest strap). I don't record the daily hoeing because that takes almost no effort now that the dirt is loose. My polar ft7 is water resistant, you can't press any of the wrist watch buttons while in the water or it will leak. Because mine was $200 I wear the chest strap but I put the wrist band in a baggie and slide it up the side of my suit when I swim to protect my investment. I understand from reading other posts,most pay a lot less for that same heart rate monitor. In 45 minutes of swimming I burn 176 calories. I did notice my burn was a little higher when I just treaded water for 45 minutes, 224. Everyone is different in their burns, age, weight, intensity, fitness level. I eat back all exercise calories with great success because my deficit was already built in before exercise. I would hope that would work for everyone because it makes life so much more pleasant. I hope you figure out your balance for success. Best of luck to you.
  • rjbkain
    rjbkain Posts: 9
    Options
    Why would you eat them back after you bother to burn them off in the first place, if weight loss is what you are after, then that is just stupid
    Cardio junkies never truly succeed anyway, learn properly what you are doing and stop wasting your time, all of you

Heres a nice little article that might help

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/cardio-confusion

Agree with you about the cardio, but MFP calculates you at a deficit for the BEFORE you exercise if you put in a weight loss goal. If you don't eat back your exercise calories, it's an even bigger deficit. I fell victim to this and had an initial huge loss (probably water and muscle) then plateaued, largely because I had zero energy for my workouts (I do HIIT and lift heavy) so I couldn't put the effort in. I started eating more and the inches started melting off, even though the weight hasn't--I look like I've lost twice as much as I actually have. I don't even count exercise calories anymore: I do TDEE -20%. Easy peasy.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    And also your afternoon snack of dairy queen is what's problematic about your diet.

Also eating clean makes it easier to lose weight, High sugar,salt and fat. makes the weight harder to come off(nothing scientific on my part but personal experience)

I lost weight without even knowing how to set macros. It doesn't really matter what you eat as long as you stay in a caloric deficit. I will say that eating clean helps to keep bloating down.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There is no way that you are burning 2000 calories each day, my husband does a 5 hour cycle and he burn 2000... I am more than positive you aren't burning that much energy... I would suggest a heart rate monitor ... I find swimming doesn't burn as much as a 2 mile run!

That's because he's stopping for a beer or two.

Edit: OP there is some good advice in this, my suggestion is you take the time to read it and ask questions.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering anorexic who came on here to try and not starve away the weight I gained from cortisol issues linked with thyroidtoxicosis (with the added issue of it all being from medication, as I don't have a thyroid).

I'm the exact opposite of some things said on here--I underestimate my HRM burns, overestimate my food (even when weighed or measured) by a slight bit so I'm always giving myself a margin for error. Much of this is because of my own existing issues of control/food/what have you.

But as one of those minor % where I gained weight initially from eating anything because of my cortisol issues + lack of LBM, I have lost most of that weight eating more now than I ever had... ever.

I have my low days, my trigger days, my bad days--some people have binges, I have "I can't bring myself to eat" days. That being said, me averaging a net of 1500 or more calories (while not incredibly much) is more than I EVER ate maintaining an underweight BMI by chronic undereating... and yet I lose weight.

You said it yourself in your initial post--"MFP overinflates the exercise calories." Your issue isn't that you're "unable to eat more," the issue is that you're overestimating your calories burned.
  • annagoodner
    annagoodner Posts: 18 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Thanks for the article. Very helpful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat them back after you bother to burn them off in the first place, if weight loss is what you are after, then that is just stupid
    Cardio junkies never truly succeed anyway, learn properly what you are doing and stop wasting your time, all of you

If she is using MFP as designed she is SUPPOSED to eat them back .......

The calorie deficit is built in up front (BEFORE exercise) ..... increasing the calorie deficit too much promotes muscle loss.

The issues aren't the type of exercise she is doing .... it's more likely the food counts are wrong and if she is using MFP exercise calories ..... those are likely wrong also.

OP: check your activity level at set up ....... I use sedentary, even though I'm borderline lightly active. I also use a heart rate monitor. Food listing here on MFP can be wildly inaccurate ......have a ballpark on the food before you log it .... double check everything.
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I personally think the problem could be your sodium intake. Its outrageous!! If you cut back on your sodium, I'm sure you'll begin seeing results. Just keep exercising and logging and you'll see results!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I never understood WHY they want you to eat back those Cal you burned? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of burning them?? I mean in order to LOSE the weight, you have to burn more calories than you consume in a day! Just sounds so silly to me to eat them back, i never do!!

Educating yourself is important...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Seems stupid and surely defeats the point if you burn off 300 cals then these are added back to your allowance to eat?!?!?:huh:

Another poster who clearly has no understanding of how MFP is designed ........ :ohwell:
  • Rasheeda118
    Rasheeda118 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I dont eat back all my calories because I found that some of the calorie counts are off as well as the exercise calories are burned. So I aim for 25% or 50% depending on the exercicse or if I know for sure like with a machine and my food caloric count is exact. I say do what works for you!!! good luck on your progress and goals!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't record the daily hoeing

Pimping ain't easy.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Pimping ain't easy.
    Van-Der-Beek-High-Five-GIF.gif
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed is that your sodium consistently toggles between being high and horrifically high. I just spent the weekend in the Keys and gained 4 pounds in 2 days. I came home, ate like normal, drank water, and I've lost 3 of those pounds in 2 days. Do not discount the quality of the calories and food you're consuming. I can almost guarantee your outrageous sodium consumption has a lot more to do with your gain than the number of calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pimping ain't easy.

QFT
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Pimping ain't easy.

lol, I have regret for my wording
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Pimping ain't easy.

lol, I have regret for my wording
    never have regret for being awesome or doing awesome things.
  • baker078
    baker078 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't use my calories burned for eating...my theory is I exercise to lose weight not to win back calories to eat more. This is what works for me...my workouts at the gym and keeping my food diary every day and keeping it around 1300 calories. Once you find what works you stick with it and tweak it when necessry!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Obviously you have no clue how MFP works!