Running in the morning

Options
amyhoss
amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
For those of you who run in the morning, do you eat something first? Drink water?

Replies

• FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I don't, if I run first thing I usually just get up and go....maybe a slurp of water or coffee before I go. Tried eating first and it makes me feel sick.
  • justamessenger
    Options
    I usually do morning cardio on an empty stomach. It feels better for me :)
  • BabyCerise
    BabyCerise Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    it depends how I feel ! If I'm not hungry I only drink a cup of warm water, and if I'm hungry I do eat my cereals before running. But I never drink a coffee, this make me feel so sick while running !
  • jennypenny133
    jennypenny133 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been running as soon as I wake up. I change out of pajamas, drink a class of water and go. I don't eat anything beforehand. Usually when I get back I have a half or a whole protein bar (before showering) depending how hungry as I don't usually eat breakfast until I get to work about an hour later. I also make sure to drink a lot of water afterwards since I don't bring water with me on the run (have been doing 2 miles every morning).
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I run on empty. Not enough time to eat & digest before a morning run. Besides, I've made the mistake of running with food in my tummy before. . . not good!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have glass of water or preferably a glass of cold leftover coffee. If I'm doing much over 6 miles I'll have something small otherwise I don't generally eat first.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If I run or do cardio in the morning I get up and go -- never feels good to run with food sitting in my stomach.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I usually have a slice of fruit but I always drink water before I run to avoid dehydration. If I'm going for a longer run, I drink electrolytes like Gatorade or Powerade to avoid cramping.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this thread. I've been struggling with not going right out when I get up in the morning because I think I'm supposed to eat; then I don't go because I lose that get-up-and-go motivation! After seeing this, I'm not going to wait to eat - I'm just going to get up and go!
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    I don't run in the mornings, but I do go to the gym first thing. I have to eat though, otherwise I feel sick. But I have to eat about 30 minutes before I go or I end up feeling sick anyway.

So yes, I eat. But I wake up 30 minutes beforehand to do so and it's usually something small like a Graze snack or an apple. :)
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love to run in the morning, and I never eat before I go. I will have a little water when I get up, then head out to run. Post run I will usually have a protein drink or something while getting ready for work, and drink lots of water, then have some "real" breakfast once I get to work.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 egg whites with 1 T lowfat cheese and half a banana. I've tried running on an empty stomach and I get burned out. I need a little fuel!
  • skylarking036
    Options
    I'm usually out the door for a run at 5am. I just roll out of bed and head out. No eating beforehand. I usually run 5 miles, so I wait till afterwards.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee & a cup of water but I only run 2 miles. I guess if I were to run longer I might have half a bagel or something
  • hollybugs
    hollybugs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far you are going. If it is less than 6 miles, I prefer an empty stomache. As for long runs, I do something small; yogurt, banana, toast or milk.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Nope. Throw on my clothes, grab a stick of gum to keep my mouth from drying out and then go run. My runs are not super long, about 5K / 3 miles. So, I drink water and eat after.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5km runs every morning and I don't eat or drink before these. However, I don't think I'd do more than 10km without food. I do a 13 miler on a Saturday morning and I always have muesli with greek yogurt and honey a couple of hours before. Test it though and see how your body feels...
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Anything under 6 and I don't eat; anything 6 or over I try to have something 30 minutes beforehand. Anything long (10+) I try to eat 400-500 calories 2 hours before, so obviously that's reserved for a weekend, lol.

As a side note, I never drink anything with caffeine before running.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for a short run (under 4 miles), I won't eat anything.

But if I'm doing anything from 5-8, I eat a pack of Kellogs Pastry Crisps (100 cals) - just have a litlte something in my stomach.

And then if I'm doing a long run (8-15 miles), I have to eat atleast 200 calories or so first, but I like to eat and then wait 30 minutes to an hour before starting. Generally I only do these long runs on the weekends, so waiting isn't a problem. Meals for this are typically 2 whole wheat waffles with nutella, a clif bar, or a Special K egg & turkey sausage breakfast sandwhich.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry I eat, if not, I dont. Always coffee on the weekend!

Listen to your body, it will give you the best advice :)