• GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    <10 miles = nothing
    >10 miles = 1 GU gel packet
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run early morning 6-7 day a week. Empty stomach 100% of the time. I'll take a couple sips of water (just to help "move things along" as it were). I'm a strong believer that hydration takes place the night before you run.

Just remember, when it come to running, we are each an experiment with a sample size of one. All that matters is what we find works best for us through trial & error.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces of water and 2 cups of coffee and then I head out. I run from 1-3 hours. (Up at 5:30 and out bu 6:30)

I was thinking about race days when they have then at 9-10-11 am. I eat a half bagel with peanut butter and a string cheese along with oceans of coffee 2 hours before.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach unless I am running over 1 hour. At that point I will a a PB sandwich before I go out.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something about 45 minutes beforehand or I get ammonia sweat. I always wondered what this was and only recently was told (here on MFP) that I'm burning lean mass since I don't have any carbs readily available (NOT what I wanted to have happen). If you never get that ammonia smell after a run, then it shouldn't be necessary. At that point, it becomes personal preference and how you your body feels.
  • Coolchameleon
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual and how long they plan to go. Honestly, just drink a glass/bottle of water (then pee lol) then go run. That way you are hydrated. If I try running without being hydrated first, my throat dries out and it makes the run less fun and more miserable. I think a banana after a run is great! Do whatever works for you :)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed into gear and go.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm another who goes on an empty stomach; I do wait until I have powdered my nose before I start.
  • MellyMel340
    MellyMel340 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many people believe that working out in the morning means they can go ahead and eat what they want for the rest of the day. They think burning 1000 calories in the morning will mean 1000 calories available to burn up during the rest of the day, but it doesn't quite work like that. the basic rule: if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. another fact: whatever time of day you exercise, your body will use the fuel it has inside to burn. This is why it is important to eat something in the morning at least 40 minutes before you exercise. If you have no fuel to burn in your body you may become light headed and experience poor performance. The body is like a fire, it needs to be fueled to keep going. If you exercise without fueling the body with complex carbohydrates then you are likely to trigger muscle loss – although this is also a slightly more complicated biological process than just a switch in fuel consumption.
    If you workout in the morning , afternoon or evening, your body will use the calories it has to burn, therefore, if you go on to eat more calories during the day, the calories you burnt whilst working out will be replaced and excess calories will remain to be burnt up by future exercise. One thing we do know for sure is that the body responds very well to routine. Therefore, if you exercise at roughly the same time each day, follow a healthy diet with regular eating times, and sleep adequately, you will lose weight and achieve a healthy sustainable body weight. If you exercise at varying times and eat what you want when you want, the body lacks a consistent routine and will respond in a sporadic way, which could mean unsustainable weight loss and gain.
    In conclusion, by exercising in the morning you aren’t burning up today’s calories or even yesterday’s calories, just any calories you have inside your body at the time of exercise. And these calories will be replaced by what you eat after exercising. Excess calories will be used to fuel the body for future exercise but, if your body knows through routine when you are likely to exercise again, it will be better conditioned to manage calorie burning and calorie allocation for exercise............Source# weight loss for all
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    Good Heaven, am I the only one who needs a decent breakfast before working out in the am? I would faint if I ran on an empty stomach.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    According to Runner's World, Running on empty in the morning helps your body learn to metabolize stored energy. However, if you want to work on speed, it's better to do that in the afternoon.
  • marciakate
    marciakate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Brush teeth, have a swig of water and go :-) get home and eat a protein breakfast right away
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with half and half, water and a protein drink (sometimes I added chia seeds to the drink).

Edited to add that I drink this before I take the kids to school and I run after that usually.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good Heaven, am I the only one who needs a decent breakfast before working out in the am? I would faint if I ran on an empty stomach.

I get crampy if I eat before I run. I can only handle sugary stuff (gels, bloks, gummy bears, etc.).

I start all my races on an empty stomach as well.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far. I eat late at night so if I run for an hour or less I don't eat. If I plan on running longer, I will get up earlier just so I can eat a little and have time to digest a bit.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I look forward to morning runs! I have to be at work so early during the school year that it just is not practical, but in the summer OH the joy!

I just get out of bed, drink some water and MAYBE a cup of coffee, get dressed and go.
  • Jdiaz72
    Jdiaz72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    if really early - just cafe and a banana. if later in the am - then I might have an egg and toast or peanut butter and banana. also depends on how long I plan to run. If my run is going to be over an hour I need food in my belly.
  • Kuetee
    Kuetee Posts: 2
    Options
    Try both to see how you feel but make sure you just eat a taste of something. My preference is empty, completely. It's odd but I usely go with a piece of minty type gum to keep my mouth from getting so dry.
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to have my coffee and a bm or I do not feel good! then straight out the door after that!
  • moonbaby12
    moonbaby12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I too just roll out of bed and go. I may have a sip of water beforehand. On Saturdays & Sundays though I'll enjoy a cup of coffee first since I'm not crunched for time.

Coffee before a run? Are you crazy?!?! :tongue:

can't run without it....