eating 1200 burining 4-800

Options

Replies

• MarizMommie
    MarizMommie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I dont appreciate the negativity! MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT. I OBVISOULY DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! THESITE TOLD ME TO EAT 1200 CALORIES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I GAINED THIS WEIGHT FROM MY PREGNANCY! I AM INSECURE AND TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. THANKS FOR NOTHING BUT MORE CRITICISM. IF ANY OF YOU CAN STOP AND READ INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE THE "POST CLOWN" YOU WOULD SEE IT SAYS " I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RESTING CALORIE EQUATION!!" THAT WAS THE QUESTION.NOT YOUR OPINION ON THE NUMBERS I AM INSERTING INTO IT.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    ZOMG, eat some food.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If the site puts you at 1200 you need to be at, or around, 1200. If you're burning 400-800 you are at 800-400 calories taken in. Eat those workout calories back and you'll lose weight at the rate you gave the site (0.5-2 pounds a week) in theory.
  • LabMonkeySteph85
    Options
    I dont appreciate the negativity! MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT. I OBVISOULY DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! THESITE TOLD ME TO EAT 1200 CALORIES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I GAINED THIS WEIGHT FROM MY PREGNANCY! I AM INSECURE AND TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. THANKS FOR NOTHING BUT MORE CRITICISM. IF ANY OF YOU CAN STOP AND READ INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE THE "POST CLOWN" YOU WOULD SEE IT SAYS " I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RESTING CALORIE EQUATION!!" THAT WAS THE QUESTION.NOT YOUR OPINION ON THE NUMBERS I AM INSERTING INTO IT.

Eat a little less, move a little more. If your BMR is 1520, you should at least be eating that since it is the amount your body uses on a daily basis without adding in exercise. If you would post your age, height and weight, that would be helpful in giving you advice. Also, you might lose 5 pounds the first week but it will be mostly water and not fat.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Girl,
    Take what most of these people are saying with a grain of salt. Really, most of them are right...they really just aren't great at repeating what they've apparently said 100 times to other people. They clearly don't realize that not EVERYONE does a search to see if something like this has been posted before.
    1 lb per day is NOT reasonable, though. I'd try to aim for 1-2 per WEEK.
    As far as I know, resting calories are what you burn just in your day to day life WITHOUT working out.
    Add me if you'd like, I always like to have other supportive members on here as friends :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    What you don't understand is, those of us who have been here a while have seen this same topic 527 times. Of those 527 times, 522 of them end with the OP getting mad because we don't tell them what they want to here. Read the links posted above and use the search function and do some reading.
  • rainbowreverie
    Options
    CAPS LOCK

ish just got real in this b
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your resting rate is what your body burns just resting...so you need 1520 cals if you laid in bed all day...You should always eat above that number. MFP gave me 1200 too but I didnt lose weight until I started eating 1500/1700. Research TDEE -20%...best way ever to lose weight.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Okay, here it is.....

This site is set up so that it calculates your estimated daily calorie needs for just existing (running your organs) and normal daily life activities (going to work, going to school, taking care of kids, etc). It does not include your exercise workouts. So..... when you exercise, you need to eat more fuel for that.

So it takes this estimated number of calories you need for your age, size, gender..... and it subtracts a set amount of calories based on how much you tell it you want to lose. I bet you said "2 pounds per week" right? It is going to try to subtract 1,000 calories per day. But it won't go below 1,200.

Not everyone can lose 2 pounds per week. If you don't have a lot of pounds to lose, it isn't reasonable to expect that. But, okay, say it is possible for you to expect that..... You need to eat 1,200 PLUS your exercise calories.

You might say "that doesn't make any sense, why would I eat more calories?" I explained it above, MFP does not include exercise in its calculations, just daily life without working out. So when you do exercise, it gives you more to eat.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Also read read read...I would read other questions people had and answers and I learned so much that way. I still have questions but I have learned so much.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Another one?

Zz8U77r.gif

Sums up how I feel about this post!
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 2 months on a 1200 calories per day diet. My advice to you is that you MUST exercise. Cardio, Cardio and weight lifting.I still eat regular foods and lost the weight because I pushed myself to: 1) Box- that burns 1000 calories per hour plus 2) Elliptical you can burn between 800-1100 calories per hour. I workout 6 days a week and have Sunday as my day to stretch and rest. Best wishes to you.

And you only eat 1200 calories? Way to give bad advice.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It took 9 months to put on the extra weight,to take it off and KEEP it off we should all do that in a healthy manner. MFP only gives you that healthy option. With that said you can go to livestrong.com and when you fill out your calorie goal it will give you an option of other. Then go to town, 5 pounds per week it will calculate for you but as you have read it is not a wise choice. Even with exercise calories eaten back it will not be enough to maintain and you will gain it all back and then some. Good luck:)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you don't win you lose, you don't loose.
    You may wish to lose weight, not loose weight.
    You may be losing your hair, not loosing your hair.

I actually stared at your profile pic for a bit longer than I should have waiting for it to load...

Now I feel silly.

And OP, not a wise routine you're putting together there. Good luck with this thread and someday losing weight in a healthy manner.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options

Actually the site told you to NET 1200 a day, not eat 1200 a day. And caps lock usage is not cool. And you're trying to "lose" not "loose" weight.
  • MarizMommie
    Options
    This will sound stupid: but here it goes

Why do I eat the calories back that I worked so hard to burn?
  • MarizMommie
    Options
    Solo I'm supposed to net 1200.. my net is wast lower than 1200. How do I know how much to eat then? For the last 5 days ive logged everything I ate to eat as close to 1200 as possible
  • MarizMommie
    Options
    So I'm supposed to net 1200.. my net is wast lower than 1200. How do I know how much to eat then? For the last 5 days ive logged everything I ate to eat as close to 1200 as possible
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you don't win you lose, you don't loose.
    You may wish to lose weight, not loose weight.
    You may be losing your hair, not loosing your hair.

It kills me too.