Do you know your end Date??

Options
124»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My body is an interesting and dynamic place. I know what I put into it and what it should be doing based on physiology, etc. However, I don't have ultimate control over whether it decides to drop fat or build muscle.

I can't even figure out my maintenance calories. Who knows what will happen weeks out? I could plateau. I could get injured. I could get pregnant.

What I do is develop a fitness goal (lose fat, gain muscle, maintain) and plan for a period of 12 weeks and then assess and adjust at the end of them.

What I've realized is that this is my life. While I'd love to "keep it off" permanently, things happen, priorities shift and I'm going to have to maintain control of this vehicle even when I have set my cruise control.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've not set an end date as the changes are for life but I'd like to be at my goal weight or very close by my birthday next July.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't have an end date, mostly because I'm focusing more on my overall health and less on a specific number. I don't have a particular goal weight. My first goal was to control my cholesterol without medication. Other than that I would like to stabilize my hypothyroidism. If I get thin in the process, I totally wouldnt be against it :smile:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    there is no end date..I am doing this for life..

once you have an "end" you start slacking and putting weight back on ..

make the changes for life OP

Precisely this. It's not necessarily about losing numbers - it's about a lifestyle. Losing weight is just a symptom of being on a path to a healthier lifestyle (if you are not currently on one). It's part of the journey, not the destination.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    maybe i should have asked what everyones end goals were? that would incoporate even those who are MFP for life, although i would like to see how many people last more then 5 years on here?

thansk for discussing though, some really interesting viewpoints and strategys and i hope they work for everyone :)

my end goal is 110lbs. Unless I get there and think that I look too small because I'm not sure if it will work with my build, in that case I'll probably go to 120 instead as I've been there and I know that I like how I look at that weight. As for when I want to get there I'm not sure. I'd let to get at least half way there by the Breast Cancer walk I will be doing with my great aunt as I plan on doing the five mile walk instead of the two this year and I don't want to be having a "fat attack" as I lovingly refer to it during my walk. I'm just not sure how realistic that would be since it's in August or September and I'm currently 194lbs
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My end date will be death. Fitness and health is a life long pursuit.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Yes , my end date is Feb 14th 2014 - thats My anniversary, and the date that i got my Fit bit, and started focusing on this , my husband jumped on about a month and a half later, but he set that as his goal , its going to be a GREAT anniversary!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I don't have an end date or a goal weight. It's going to depend on how I look and feel. I'd like to fit my size 12 jeans ( because I have about six pairs and can't afford to replace them.)
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    there is no end date..I am doing this for life..

once you have an "end" you start slacking and putting weight back on ..

make the changes for life OP

Precisely this. It's not necessarily about losing numbers - it's about a lifestyle. Losing weight is just a symptom of being on a path to a healthier lifestyle (if you are not currently on one). It's part of the journey, not the destination.

This needs repeating! I started on MFP 15 months ago. I lost 55 pounds in the first 9 months and only 10 in the last 6. If I had set a end date based on the first 9 months progress, I would be a disaster right now. I didn't. My whole lifestyle and thought processes have changed. Yep...I would like to lose another 25 pounds yet, but I stay focused on what I have accomplished and the fact that I am in better shape than I was 20 years ago. I am not gaining weight so I know my changes in lifestyle are working for the first time ever. So no end date for me. I will be accountable forever.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nope, no end date. My goal is a weight, not a date. It'll happen when it happens.
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    I started on my fitness journey Jan 7th 2013 at 154 lbs, i originally wanted to lose 19 lbs putting me at a goal of 135. I was hoping to be there by May 1st 2013 but I didnt reach 136 til just this past weekend (5/18).....& seeing how im only 1 lb from my original goal & dont think I'll be satisfied with that weight, I decided to shoot for 125-130 lbs. My new end date is late July, we're going on vacation then & I really wanna rock that bikini lol... but really any weight loss between now & then I'll be happy with because its all progress =)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My end date was supposed to be December 2012.

Instead I've plateaued for a stinkin year.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    maybe i should have asked what everyones end goals were? that would incoporate even those who are MFP for life, although i would like to see how many people last more then 5 years on here?

thansk for discussing though, some really interesting viewpoints and strategys and i hope they work for everyone :)

I don't think I will be on here for a steady 5 years. There will come a time when I walk away from the website. I have no idea when that is at this point, though, and it isn't now because I'm cutting body fat. I don't really need to log my food when I'm bulking because it isn't that hard to hit macros and micros on a surplus. When I'm cutting, however, I have a net 1400-1600 calorie window to hit those micros and macros without taking anything other than an iron supplement when necessary, and that requires meticulous logging for me. Chances are that I will leave during bulks and come back during cuts at some point in the future.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am an endurance athlete so my goal is to make this MFP thing more of a lifestyle change. I was not in a rush and wanted to see how each component of food & exercise affected me. Out of curiosity, at first I changed only my eating habits to see if "food only" was making a difference (at the time I was not working out at all). I was amazed at what being more aware and getting the caloric amounts in my head was doing for me- by just signing up and logging daily, I lost 18 pounds in 3.5 months!!! I kept off 14 over the next year, which brings me to this past January.

So, I don't have a specific end date as I need to make this my lifestyle and not just a temporary change. That said, I've had some ups and downs but have stuck with it. I love how I look and I have definitely gotten into making my own food and have even gotten excited about compiling recipes, etc. I know how easy it is for me to start binging on junk food (I'm a HUGE dessert fan), so learning how to maintain myself at any weight with quality calories is just as much a victory as losing weight.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had figured out a date that I expected to reach my goal weight after seeing how the weight loss progressed for several months. I set up intermittent goal dates as well. I even figured in the weight slow down as I got closer to goal. As soon as I figured all that out, my body decided it was on its own time table and I didn't get any where close to hitting the first two intermittent goals. So, I deleted the goals. I'll get there when my body gets there. As for an "end date", it's never going to end. Reaching my goal weight will just be a transition into a different phase.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, you mean an end date for using MFP? For me it will be when they start blocking it at work, or I become bored with it.

I met my original goal 2+ years ago (it was a size goal rather than weight). Since then I've set mostly fitness goals. But now I'm trying to lose more weight. Ideally 10-15 lbs more, but we'll see how it goes. I'll continue to try to meet that with or without MFP though.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My end date was supposed to be December 2012.

Instead I've plateaued for a stinkin year.

Congratulations for making this a lifestyle! 'Cause you could have quit in frustration.
  • likitisplit
    Options

My end goal (for now) is 23% body fat. However, I plan to continue making strength and speed gains after that and will continue to use MFP to monitor my diet.