Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Just because something is common doesn't make it not fat. This is like saying there's a lot of of fatter people, so it that means you aren't overweight...

I'm not commenting on size 10, by the way. Sizes tend to be irrelevant. It was about the logic of the statement.

Also, congratulations on your successes, OP. :flowerforyou:
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a psychological issue, I'm a size 10 and there are days when I feel like an oaf. There is a comment further down about height, and I agree totally, the shorter you are, the more the weight shows (I'm 5ft nothing!)
    Size 10 is absolutely not fat. Ultimately you have to be comfortable in your own skin whatever your weight or shape. It's time we all started to feel good about ourselves I think. Good luck.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Uh, nooo! I wish I was a 10! I just got down from a 15/16 down to a loose 14 or tight 12/13.

Jealous! LOL.
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I felt fab when I first put on my size 10 jeans after losing the weight! It's not fat, I want to get to this size again! :smile:
  • imaprincess4all
    imaprincess4all Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 28 to size 14 and I felt like I was skinny as a rail in clothes, but when I looked at myself in the mirror I still saw me as fat. This was becuase in mind I was a fat person and I had lots of excess skin that did not look good. Be proud of yourself and try to be more positive about yourself. You have to love yourself and until you do you will never be small enough. So make sure you are being healthy and not worry about anything else. You have done a remarkable job so be proud.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    re: people talking about Marilyn Monroe

According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

In other words, whatever her size, her figure was an unusually dramatic hour-glass, which makes it kind of strange for women to compare themselves to her anyway. When a collector displayed a bunch of her most famous costumes in London recently, "they had to get a special mold made for the corset and swimwear dummies in the exhibition because Monroe was such an extreme hourglass shape that no off-the-peg dummies existed in those measurements."

So, what size was she? Well, like most women, she wasn't one size everywhere. When British journalist Sara Buys had a chance to try on some of Marilyn's clothes earlier this year, she reported:

After all these years, mystery and conspiracy theories still surround her death, but when it comes to her physical attributes, I can put a few facts straight. Contrary to received wisdom, she was not a voluptuous size 16 – quite the opposite. While she was undeniably voluptuous – in possession of an ample bosom and a bottom that would look at home gyrating in a J-Lo video – for most of the early part of her career, she was a size 8 and even in her plumper stages, was no more than a 10. I can tell you this from experience because a few weeks ago, I tried to try on her clothes.

Exactly! Seeing photos of her, I'd say in today's average sizing, she would wear a 6 or 8. No way she was a 10 in today's clothing--vanity sizing or not.

Edited to add--Marilyn Monroe ended up needing to lose a lot of weight. The later photos of her show a tire around her middle held in place with a girdle and ample back fat.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Size 10 is absolutely not fat! The average US woman is size 14...

And overweight.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    As badly as I wanted to troll this thread, I can't.

Be happy with who you are and find your size. A size 10 is going to be bigger if you're shorter and smaller if you're taller. Don't ask strangers what size you should be.

*kicks rocks*

I was a UK 14 (so about a US 10) when I was at my biggest, 172lbs and only 5 3, so yeah it was WAY too big for me (now a UK 10), but on someone who isn't a short *kitten* it'd be a totally fine size!!
    It also has a lot to do with how you dress, wearing the correct size helps, everyone looks fat squeezed into things 2 sizes too small!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    10UK is medium, 10US is large. That's the reality and saying that the average woman is overweight doesn't mean being overweight is okay. If everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it too?!
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I dont think a size 10 is "fat" at all! I would say its probably a fairly common size is all. Like others said if you are shopping in "teen stores" a 10 might run a little smaller than normal. Just remember there are people like me that are a size 18 that would die to be a 10, so be proud of what you have accomplished!!!!!
  • NannaTinkk
    NannaTinkk Posts: 2
    Options
    You have to remember that "skinny" at any rate is over rated. You need to go with what you feel good at, and not what the rest of the world thinks. Be proud of your progress, be happy with that and maintain it for awhile...........being healthy is under rated. I was forced to stay thin all my life..........then it happened, I got larger than i ever imagined, but fighting it during menapause has not been easy, so I am now the same size but a lot healthier and will take it and run.
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I first thought "no" reading this in a British context, but seeing as it is American...
    So a lot of models are a 0, or at the very least a 2. A size 0 is not "ideal" to me, but I would say a 2 or a 4 is. Ultimately, from an aesthetic POV. I've been a 4 and am now more a 6, and I know there are quite a few kilos between those... So yeah, I consider a 10 to be quite big. Whether you would call it "fat" is down to personal opinion. But I don't consider it attractive, and I don't think a person at that size can be "hot".
    I am speaking as a 5"9 who's not naturally petite and can't just slip into a small size, in case you were wondering.
    weeellll... that's a bit harsh!
    I'm a short-*kitten* UK 14, which equates to a 10 I think, and no, I'm too chubby to be 'hot'. But, if I were taller, younger and more toned, then I see no reason at all why I shouldn't be!

I need to get down a size to a US 8, but mainly because I'm vertically challenged...
  • IamDIVAlicious
    Options
    This was a really good response and I agree, with a caveat. It's a matter of interpretation and dependent on body size. A size ten on my frame would have me looking very obese. However, I have size 10 friends that look comparable to me and I'm a 4/6. It really depends on how everything comes together. The most important thing though is how you feel about it.

And H&M/Forever 21 are not stores for people size 8 and over. Their size 8s are even questionable, so I would steer clear of those stores for fear of hurting your feelings with their inappropriately sized clothing (though cute).
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's the size I want to get back to as I was there in a previous weight loss journey. I did have fat on me but generally was not fat in that sense. It's probably a good point for me to really focus on weights. I was able to fit in most stores and felt fabulous. (I say most as there were some I was still too scared to even try but weren't stores that were marketing to me anyway so it was moot).
  • TashyBashy91
    TashyBashy91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    size 10 is perfect!
  • lisaslim1976
    lisaslim1976 Posts: 145
    Options
    10 uk is not "medium", its small, 12 is medium 14 is large.....but each shop has completely different measurements.
  • JanetP124
    JanetP124 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I vote that fat is determined by your body fat percentage and not a pants size.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    I vote that fat is determined by your body fat percentage and not a pants size.

I agree with you. My current body fat is 27%, and I'm overweight. I will continue to be overweight until my body fat gets down to 20% or less.
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was running 3 miles a day and strength training hardcore when I was a size 10 and looked fantastic in my opinion. I'd give my right arm to be a size 10 again...I will at some point and hopefully I can keep my right arm in the process;) I remember how nice it was to not shop in the plus size department anymore.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I read some of these comments and think... these people have problems. And I love when fat people say that a size 10 is fat... when they probably have never been that size in adulthood. SMH