Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    I think "fat" comes in different sizes, so to me, it depends on body composition and overall physical fitness.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I read some of these comments and think... these people have problems. And I love when fat people say that a size 10 is fat... when they probably have never been that size in adulthood. SMH

I'm not fat. I've never been fat, I'm an adult in my adulthood. I guess my opinion isn't as valid as yours?! BS. Size 10 US is LARGE. That's just the truth.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Phew. The jeans I'm wearing today are 8s. No longer fat! Yes! :grumble:
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I read some of these comments and think... these people have problems. And I love when fat people say that a size 10 is fat... when they probably have never been that size in adulthood. SMH

I'm not fat. I've never been fat, I'm an adult in my adulthood. I guess my opinion isn't as valid as yours?! BS. Size 10 US is LARGE. That's just the truth.

It's not large for some people. I have a friend who is 6' tall, abs of steel and 17% body fat. She wears a 10. She's waiting for me to get back to a 6 so she can have all of my size 10's.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

It's not large for some people. I have a friend who is 6' tall, abs of steel and 17% body fat. She wears a 10.

I concede that for a 6' woman size 10 might be okay. It's still classed as a Large.
  • Annerk1
    Options

It's not large for some people. I have a friend who is 6' tall, abs of steel and 17% body fat. She wears a 10.

I concede that for a 6' woman size 10 might be okay. It's still classed as a Large.

"might be"?

I hope you are kidding. My friend has 17% body fat. Somehow I don't think there is any question that she's "okay." My guess is that you dream of having the body she does.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I am "a Large" women. I don't deny this. I have big hips, big shoulders, big feet, a big head, etc. I have no problems being "a Large" but I am NOT fat. I wear a size 8 or 10.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

"might be"?

I hope you are kidding. My friend has 17% body fat. Somehow I don't think there is any question that she's "okay." My guess is that you dream of having the body she does.

My body is just fine, I have no issues with it and I'm not overweight so guess on.
  • Kittiegirl06
    Kittiegirl06 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will say what I think, although it may have been said before (haven't read all comments):
    It depends on the person's height/shape/build. I would say size 10 isn't necessarily fat. I was a medium size and fit size 10. I thought I was chubby at the time but not reeeally fat, and I am short too.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reaching a 10 myself and I still have about 25lbs I'd like to shed. It depends on how you feel about what you've accomplished!! I too have gone from a size 18 (just last december!) To my 10s. All stores are different too. I don't under any circumstance think that this is "fat" But I'm not happy with it, so I'm going to go down :)
  • Annerk1
    Options

"might be"?

My body is just fine, I have no issues with it and I'm not overweight so guess on.

You don't have 17% body fat. When you do, come back and tell me that someone who is 6' tall with 17% body fat should wear a smaller size.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think a 10 is awesome. I started out a 16/18 (16's were tight, 18's were loose) and I am in a 12 now. I always used to say I would be so happy if I could get back to a 12. Know what? Now I want to get into a 10! I will know when I get to where I truly want to be. You will too, trust yourself. If you like what you see in the mirror, it's great! Be happy and don't second guess what has obviously been a lot of hard work! Congrats on those 10's!

That's what I'm saying!!!!!
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

"might be"?

You don't have 17% body fat. When you do, come back and tell me that someone who is 6' tall with 17% body fat should wear a smaller size.

You have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is. I don't want your 6' size 10 friend's body. Can you accept that and move on? Great.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

That boggles my mind I'm a size 18 and I'm obese. Who came up with BMI charts anyway???
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    She's a perfect 10, but she wears a 12, baby keep a little 2 for me!!
  • Annerk1
    Options

You have no idea what my bodyfat percentage is. I don't want your 6' size 10 friend's body. Can you accept that and move on? Great.

I didn't say you did want it, and sadly you are missing the point. A size 10 doesn't mean someone is overweight or "large."

And trust me, you don't have 17% body fat--easy to see that by your boobs and your face.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It depends on how tall and built you are!

long ago when I first ever started losing weight I was about a size 16-18 and I thought a size 10 was the smallet I'd EVER be able to fit into.
    I had no idea I was in fact a small person!

I am 5'1"

Once I reached a size 10 I was STOKED!
    When I was wearing size 9 jeans that was awesome! But I was still overweight. my BF% was still high and I knew I could lose more bf. So I did.

after getting to a size 6 and realizing that I STILL had more body fat to lose I was like "WAAAHHH??!?!??!!"

I also remember being a size 14 and having a (rather vain) friend of mine almost freak when she found we wore the same size.
    She's 5'10" and fit so an 13/14 is her size. But it's not mine anymore.

So sure, you can say a 10 is still fat but damn, if you've been 4 sizes bigger you whole life, then it's damn good!

It's all relative!

~psk
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

I didn't say you did want it, and sadly you are missing the point. A size 10 doesn't mean someone is overweight or "large."

And trust me, you don't have 17% body fat--easy to see that by your boobs and your face.

Let's not get started on faces.

I'm not saying nor did I ever say she was large, I am saying as clothes classification goes a size 10 is a large. As opposed to a medium or a small. This is a fact. This is not some spurious allegorical conversation about your 'friend' although I'm delighted you have one. So good for you.

Edited.
  • Annerk1
    Options

Let's not get started on faces. It won't end well for you.

I'm not saying nor did I ever say she was large, I am saying as clothes classification goes a size 10 is a large. As opposed to a medium or a small. This is a fact. This is not some spurious allegorical conversation about your 'friend' although I'm delighted you have one because you do come across as quite unfriendly. So good for you.

No, that's not a fact. Many manufacturers classify size 10 as a medium.

http://www.eileenfisher.com/EileenFisherCompany/PopUpGeneralContentPages/OurFit.jsp
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/info/infoPop.jsp?categoryId=1958741&backTo=1958741&infoType=infosport

JC Penney and Macy's do as well.