Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    <- These shorts are a size 10. I wear anything from a 6 to a 12. I have a healthy BMI, and body fat percentage. I'm also 5'9".
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. Size 10 isn't fat because it's what a lot of people are wearing? Assuming she's in the US, that logic is a bit flawed as I would say the average American IS fat..

OP, it's a size on a tag. Do you feel fat or do you like the size that you are?

It's not just about sizing, I'm pretty sure most of us women would love to just walk into a store, grab a size, and have it fit perfectly. But sizing varies from store to store. In one store I might be a 4, another a 6, and in some a 7 or 8. It all depends. Don't let the size on a tag make you feel fat. Who cares about "vanity" sizing? If it fits, it fits, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Grab another size. Again, it's just a number on a tag.

Actually, my logic is on point according to the way she worded her question. She makes it seem like size 8 and 12 are normal (however she decides to determine what normal is), and somehow size 10 is the mystery fat size.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

I am in the obese category as well
    BMI can suck it.

I can't remember if these are a 12 or a 10...(have them in both sizes), but because i am so tall a 10 is my lower end size...for someone else it may not be,

33110506_0.jpg
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height. If you are a 6' tall gall, then size 10 is probably quite slender. If you top out at 4'11, you're probably overweight in a size 10.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    context.

I am 5'11

size 10 will be a lot different for me than someone a foot shorter.

you really cant go by number size.

QFT!!!!
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My goal size is a size 10 so if I reach that and someone thinks I'm fat then they better go take a good look at themselves. LOL

Ha ha ditto. You should also consider in your height and body frame type. For example a size 10 isn't going to be the same on someone who is 5'11 as it would on someone who is 5'0. But no I do not think it's fat.
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height and frame.

I am tall with broad shoulders and wide hips and a little waist---I have a large frame. When my BMI is around 23 I wear 8's and 10's depending on brand, and I look really fit. That's my goal, actually.

If you are a very slight or petite person, you might where a size ten and have a BMI of 30, which is overweight.

http://bmicalc.org/bmi-calculator-for-women

I honestly do not care what the scale says or the tag in my pants-- I care about looking fit and feeling strong- --I care what my resting heartrate is, and havign good healthy blood chemistry. :)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    it's not fat in the ol' US of A!

in almost every other country in the world, yes it means you still have some body fat to burn off.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    AlohaKeAkua Posts: 92
    Options
    When I was a 14, I HATED the size number. However, I LOVED the way I looked!! Nobody believed I was a 14, but I knew I was. Your dress size does not always portray your health and weight!
    Congrats on the weight loss!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. Size 10 isn't fat because it's what a lot of people are wearing? Assuming she's in the US, that logic is a bit flawed as I would say the average American IS fat..

OP, it's a size on a tag. Do you feel fat or do you like the size that you are?

It's not just about sizing, I'm pretty sure most of us women would love to just walk into a store, grab a size, and have it fit perfectly. But sizing varies from store to store. In one store I might be a 4, another a 6, and in some a 7 or 8. It all depends. Don't let the size on a tag make you feel fat. Who cares about "vanity" sizing? If it fits, it fits, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Grab another size. Again, it's just a number on a tag.

Actually, my logic is on point according to the way she worded her question. She makes it seem like size 8 and 12 are normal (however she decides to determine what normal is), and somehow size 10 is the mystery fat size.

Please see the bolded part above.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Short answer ...... NO ...... size 10 is not fat .......

Longer answer ..... just buy what fits you beautifully & wear it ...... congrats on the awesome weight loss !
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies As some asked about my height I'm on the shorter end, close to petite about 5'2 maybe a little over, but borderline petite, so yes I sometimes do look "fat"/ chubby, compared to other in my same size, but thats not what triggered my question over all lol. My BMI is still on the higher end but that doesn't dictate my belief in my health or appearance; I may never make it to a healthy BMI and that a-okay in my book lol.

But from your responses I do believe that I am still uncomfortable with my size and perhaps still see the old me rather then the slimmer version lol. Shopping it more fun now, but harder was well, your larger you biggest concern is finding something that fits and since few designers, until recently, made larger clothes, there was little variation in sizes between retailers and little options especially when going to the mall to buy clothes.

Perhaps another few months and I will feel more comfortable no longer being a plus-sized person. :embarassed:
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was in a size 10 at my lowest weight of 139lbs & I was skinny :) Can't wait to get there again!!!!
  • Smoni2008
    Smoni2008 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are many different body types and a size 10 will look different on each and every body type. What you are comfortable in is the most important. :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 10 I looked heavier, mainly because I'm 5ft nothing and quite hippy.
    I'm now a size 6 and I still look hippy but that's just my body shape.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

I wear a size 10, sometimes an 8 or a 6 in a dress and according to the BMI chart I am in the healthy weight range, I am an hourglass shape and carry my weight in my hips, so I generally have to size up even if the waist and legs fit in a smaller size. Also, sizes in all stores are different. Truth be told, no one can see the tag on the inside, buy what fits and makes you look best and let others think what they want.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    a size 10 is just that, a number. i took a sewing class from a lady who had worked in fashion manufacture for years, all brands all sizes. she said that a size will vary from brand to brand and it doesn't just start at the brand name. it starts with whoever cuts and sews the patterns. some will leave a little more seam allowance, some will leave less and sometimes they might have a bad day. to parrot a previous poster, you'll never walk into a store and be able to just grab a 10 and have it fit the same as any other 10. :) it's more of a way to measure progress for sure. i almost fainted went i slipped into an 8 for the first time. the people at goodwill gave me all sorts of weird looks from the cheers that i hollered while in the dressing room. (it was not just one pair of pants, but many.) but i have some 10's that i still squeeze and a couple of sixes that are pretty tight but hey look pretty good.

so CONGRATULATIONS YOU'RE IN A 10 NOW!!!! THAT IS A ViCTORY!!!! Do a dance and pat yourself on the back! use it as motivation to get where you're going and never look back at those 18s as an option or a "just in case I might still need them later".
  • cbkb1234
    cbkb1234 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    depends how tall you are… if you're past 5'7 then im sure you're fine but if your under your'e not "fat" persay… but… you have fat still.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I personally thought a size 10 was too large, but that is only on ME. I'm a size 4-6 now and that's where I am happiest. There are plenty of people out there who would see 10 as their ideal size. What matters is what YOU think is the right size for you.