Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't think size 10 is fat at all, and I am currently a 4. Size 10 was my skinny size for most of my adult life. I am 5'7. I saw others say this, but sizes can vary widely between stores, and look very different on different people.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First of all, I can't stand what a lot of these replies are saying.

No, a size 10 is NOT fat. Different people fit different sizes depending on their height, their body type, etc. Some girls are skinny but have wide hips so they need a larger pant size, etc.

Don't focus on what size you are wearing, focus on how you look and feel. I was a very healthy size 12, and people thought I wore a 7/8 but my hips are naturally wide so it's hard for me to fit into anything much smaller. I'd KILL to be a size 10 again right now!

Think of it this way, even though it might sound terrible. If you are fitting into sizes that clothing stores offer w/o having to go to a different section, you're fine.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", 180# and I currently wear a size 10. I don't look fat with my clothes on, but my high body fat % is what makes me look fat. I carry it all in my lower belly/hips/thighs.

Size 10 is not fat. Too much body fat is what makes you look fat. You can't really tell what size someone wears just by looking at them.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    For those who are a size 8 or smaller, a 10 is fat.
    For those who are bigger than a 10, no it isn't.

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

Totally agree with this!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I went into a clothing store the other day and after a few minutes I walked out.... seems their largest size was a 12. I am a 14. Figures, right? Made ME feel fat. But a size 10? Nah. :)
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much all been said but I wanted to chime in and say Congrats on your journey. Sounds like you are doing great!
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love all these comments about how the average in America is fat and Americans are obese, and blah blah blah. We are not the only fat country in the world. Big hairy deal any way. We still live a long, happy life. You can be skinny and healthy and still get hit by a bus. ( and yes, I realize I'm on a weight loss forum talking smack about people talking smack about fat people). I just feel like saying "Americans are fat and unhealthy" is cliche.

OP- Size 10 is *not* fat! Good job! I'm 5'1 and yes, a size 10 may still be a little fluffy for us shorties, it's not *fat*. Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I love all these comments about how the average in America is fat and Americans are obese, and blah blah blah. We are not the only fat country in the world. Big hairy deal any way. We still live a long, happy life. You can be skinny and healthy and still get hit by a bus. ( and yes, I realize I'm on a weight loss forum talking smack about people talking smack about fat people). I just feel like saying "Americans are fat and unhealthy" is cliche.

OP- Size 10 is *not* fat! Good job! I'm 5'1 and yes, a size 10 may still be a little fluffy for us shorties, it's not *fat*. Congrats on your weight loss so far!

"Fluffy" "Fat" "Pooh Sized" "Overweight" "Chubby" "Person of Size" "heavy-set"

If you are overweight you are overweight regardless of what you call it. Making cutsie names for it is only trying to kid yourself.

By the way, have you ever been out of the US? I've traveled extensively and can guarantee you that our country is very fat compared to most of the rest of the world. We also have the lowest life expectancy and highest rates of obesity related illnesses of all industrialized nations, so don't kid yourself about that, either.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

^ This.

I'm short and have a small frame...if I was a size 10, I'd probably consider myself fat.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options

"Fluffy" "Fat" "Pooh Sized" "Overweight" "Chubby" "Person of Size" "heavy-set"

If you are overweight you are overweight regardless of what you call it. Making cutsie names for it is only trying to kid yourself.

By the way, have you ever been out of the US? I've traveled extensively and can guarantee you that our country is very fat compared to most of the rest of the world. We also have the lowest life expectancy and highest rates of obesity related illnesses of all industrialized nations, so don't kid yourself about that, either.

Why, yes... I've been outside of the country several times. Thanks for asking. And really, who's squabbling about dying at 78.9 years or 80.1??? Those few months aren't a big deal to me when I'm 80. I'm not saying that the vast majority of Americans are healthy or couldn't stand to get off the couch and stop eating pizza 5x a week. I'm saying that using that fall back "Americans are fat" is tiresome. I get it. Americans are fat. The Chinese are rude. The Indians smell like curry. The Jews work hard. The French are stuck up. (Btw, all examples of cliche stereotypes... I don't feel this way, just making a point) I just would like someone to say something a little less cliche, a litte less judgey, a little less stereotypical.

And as far as cutesy names... no one is fooling themselves with them. It's called being polite. I could say, yeah, a size 10... you're still a fat *ss, but that would be untrue, unkind and rude. Fluffy is just a kindler, gentler term. By the way, ever been in polite society???? I have. I've traveled extensively there.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    If you look at sizing charts, most 8-10 are considered M, while I believe 4-6 are S and 0-2 are XS. Not fat, or even a large.
  • LindsayLL30
    LindsayLL30 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

YEP THIS ^^^^^^
    I am/ was a 10 (closer to an 8 now) and I still feel flabby..... its all about how you feel....
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Size is just a number...it should be how your clothes fit...it's absolutely wonderful that all your hard work paid off !!! im so happy for you..im on my way too :)
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    size 10 is a "large" and as a woman i don't want anything to do with being "large" .. I am currently a 12, I am going to do whatever it takes to be a "smal-l medium"
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Size 10 Isn't Fat, it's even a book title written by Meg Cabot!
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    From a girl who has been in Plus size clothes since Freshman year of high school...almost 20 years ago...I think a 10 is fabulous! I think we are our worst critics and right now, I am thrilled with even seeing an XL or a size 16! I actually had someone call me skinny while I was wearing a size XL dress yesterday! I am sure others look at me and think I am heavy, but when I look in the mirror, I can now see a victory because I am looking at how far I have come. My goal is to be able to fit into a 10 some day! Those little tags can't run our lives!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    Now days in America with obesity the tag is lying to you. The jeans are made bigger with a lower size stamped on it. So really it doesn't matter what the tag says. The best way to really know your size is to know your waist measurement. I went to try on shorts at walmart and i had to go down to a 5. And any were else i would ware a 7/8. So i dont even care what size i am because they are all wrong. I just pay attention to what my tape measure tells me:)
  • Fweegie
    Fweegie Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and when I was a size 10, I was about 150lbs. That put me at 1lb over the "ideal weight" range on most charts and in the average range for BMI. Now, my bp at that size ran around 90/60 and all my labs were in the healthy range. And not to toot my own horn, but I turned many heads at that size. Size, weight, bmi--are numbers in a cookie cutter world. What is important is how you feel and your overall health. As a matter of fact, there has been research showing that people who are only slightly overweight tend to live longer. So, if you really want to know if you are fat, ask your doctor. A little more food for thought; Russell Crowe, Arnold Swartzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and Hugh Jackman are all considered obese, according to most charts. Yeah, I know they are not women, but that might give you some perspective on the definition of "healthy" numbers.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    when i was in my prime fit-days I would be an 8-10, and looking back I may thought i was fat, but nooo way. Its totally not!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I ask not to start controversy, but because my whole adult life I have never been smaller then a size 18 and now, after nearly a year and a half of hard work I have found myself on the cusp of size 10. Initially I was happy and thought it was a great size, but when I go clothes shopping (again perhaps because I'm not used to how non-plus size stores work) I fee like I'm still obese and that a 10 is in fact a large size.

But sometimes I cant tell if its just cuz its a popular size and I have a hard time finding 10s - between literally having to scrape every shelf for a 10 (tons of 8s and 12s), to understanding how the whole straight numerical size works (ex: 32, 30, 31, etc), or is it just the stores Im visiting (H&M, Forever 21, etc.)?[admittedly I may be going to the wrong stores, but I'm trying not to buy into the whole vanity sizing and I want to be as close to a natural/ actual size 10 as possible - i.e. I want to be able to walk into any store and know that I can grab anything in that size and it will fit me]

Any advice would be great! Thanks!!!!

Your shopping at 'teen' stores, which have different sizing than other stores. Try Target, JC Penny, Old Navy, Kohls etc. And yes, size 10 can be a healthy size, and is also very popular :)

Old navy is the worst for vanity sizing! A 10 there is a 12 or 14 elsewhere