Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    The average size in the united states for a women right now is a size 14. I would say a 10 is below average in size. Also, seeing as the size 10 is hard to find I would say that many women that are shopping at the stores you are going into are also that size. Unfortunately you will not be able to just go into every store and pick up a 10 and it fits right. Diferent stores all have differents fits. For me I can range in several different sizes depending on where I am shopping at. I am to the point I dont look at the number just make sure its the right fit. You are doing great!!
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    So I hope your wife doesn't put on 5-10 lbs because then you would think she's too big.

Yes I would, and she knows I would. We're both very honest about our physical ideals. We both concentrate hard on looking good.

i don't think you should get knocked for what you said. if your wife is 5 feet tall and a size 10 she is over weight. quite over weight. possibly even obese. also 10 pounds on someone who is only 5 feet tall is like 20 pounds on someone my height.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I knew a girl who would only fit in a size 10 because of the size of her hips. The waist would end up being huge. She was very thin and 5' 10'', no fat anywhere, and still wore a 10 around her hips. My mom wore a 10 when I was a teenager and she was probably 145 lbs, and had very little fat, no belly or anything. She is 5'4''.

It really depends on your body. Do you have a lot of fat on your body or are you pretty lean?

The average size for women is a 14 so you are smaller than average.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    By the way, have you ever been out of the US? I've traveled extensively and can guarantee you that our country is very fat compared to most of the rest of the world.

The US definitely takes the prize in terms of developed countries, but I'm guessing your travels haven't included Kuwait. Or Micronesia. or Samoa. They're all fatter.

erm i've been to Kuwait, for a year actually and I didn't see a single fat person...Not by US Standards anyway. The US is the fattest nation in the world. Look it up.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So I hope your wife doesn't put on 5-10 lbs because then you would think she's too big.

Yes I would, and she knows I would. We're both very honest about our physical ideals. We both concentrate hard on looking good.

i don't think you should get knocked for what you said. if your wife is 5 feet tall and a size 10 she is over weight. quite over weight. possibly even obese. also 10 pounds on someone who is only 5 feet tall is like 20 pounds on someone my height.

First of all, since there are no standard sizes, a size 10 in one store can be a size 6 or 8 or 12 in another. Impossible to tell. I can tell you, a size 10 at 5'0 is not close to obese. It falls into normal range to overweight. It would depend on frame, and, again, where you bought the clothes. Also, a 5'0 person is wearing petites more likely, which are cut smaller. A 10p is smaller than a 10R. Again, I think this debate about size is ridiculous. The op is healthier than she was, and size 10 is not plus size, nor is it fat, nor is it large. I'm willing to bet lots of women on MFP would love to be rocking size 10 jeans.

And I'm sorry, but no one will ever be able to convince me that a husband should ever think his wife is too big at size 10. That's just disgusting to me. If I was big as a freaking house, I'd want my husband to love me regardless and think I was beautiful.
    But ymmv.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it is all relative. I have never been a size 10; at my largest I was at a size 8 (170lbs) and my BF% and BMI were way too high. However I am sure there are plenty of women who are healthy and feel awesome in a size 10!

It does all depend on your body shape. If I was 170 pounds, I would be wearing a size 14, definitely not a 10. At 145 pounds I was wearing a 10. Now I am 136 and down to an 8… I bet there are tons of people that could fit into a 6 or 4 at this weight.

I wear the same sizes at about the same weight as you.
  • londonms
    londonms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am currently a size 10 and have been for the past 5 years. Based on my heigh and weight, my BMI indicates that I am overweight. One of my closest friends growing up is a size 10 as well. She has always looked fantastic. I would never consider her to be overweight, but her bone structure is much different than I am. So, you can be a size 10 and not "fat." For me, my bone structure would put me in a 6 if I could lose some extra chub. Congratulations for moving from an 18 to a 10. Be proud!!
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I wear a , 6, 8, 10, 12. Shop at NY&C. Limited. GAP. Walfart ( not a typo) I seriously call it that place drives me insane but it is insane cheap and Target. I wear all these sizes. No it is not fat or anything else. Size 10s eat, exercise and generally all the sizes 10s I know look healthy. There is a reason the saying says a "perfect 10" I have been all these sizes at a weight of 107 to 167. Wide hips ....broad shoulders for a chick....I have never once thought of a 10 as fat...best wishes on your journey.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think Size 10 is the sexiest size.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Rosytakesoff Posts: 321
    Options
    It's not to me, but the question is really, "Is a size 10 fat to you?" Clothing sizes are just a way to keep inventory, IMO. My grandmother, a professional seamstress, used to say "ignore the tag. Buy what fits". Wise advice, I think.

If you are talking about health, then look to your body fat percentage. That is much more indicative of health than size.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes size 10 is overweight.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    By the way, have you ever been out of the US? I've traveled extensively and can guarantee you that our country is very fat compared to most of the rest of the world.

The US definitely takes the prize in terms of developed countries, but I'm guessing your travels haven't included Kuwait. Or Micronesia. or Samoa. They're all fatter.

erm i've been to Kuwait, for a year actually and I didn't see a single fat person...Not by US Standards anyway. The US is the fattest nation in the world. Look it up.

Actually, Kuwait is the fattest country in the world. The US is the fattest in comparison to all developed countries. Kuwait and Pacific Islander countries are actually the fattest. But... what does it matter?
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This may have already been said but think about it--Marilyn Monroe was a size 10-12 at her prime and she is still considered one of, if not the most beautiful woman.

No, a size 10 is not, in my opinion, considered fat. I think sizing is just a number to make women feel something--typically awful. Also, remember that everyone is built differently. Your size 10 may be someones size 6...And stores are never consistent in their sizing, either.
  • shrinkingWITS
    shrinkingWITS Posts: 108
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

I am in the obese category as well
    BMI can suck it.

I can't remember if these are a 12 or a 10...(have them in both sizes), but because i am so tall a 10 is my lower end size...for someone else it may not be,

33110506_0.jpg

You are just gorgeous! I want to be obese like you.:love:

:laugh: Agreed.
  • HJMAYES
    HJMAYES Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

Me too. Only I'm in the "overweight" category. I don't think I am when I look in the mirror tho?
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I am not trying to start controversy here, but this mindset is what is wrong with our society. Size 0 is admired and leaves those of us women with an *kitten* and hips and who have given birth to think a size 10 isnt good enough? That's a shame. Considering dropping from an 18 to a 10 is huge accomplishment!! Ultimately if you want to be less than a 10 then go for it, just don't put that mindset that it's fat..it's healthy and the norm for the average woman in the US.

I have an *kitten*, hips, i've given birth to two kids ( no c-section) and I used to be a size 2-4 at 5'6" ( working towards that size again). Your argument is invalid.
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    No way a size 14 is average whoever posted that. I'm 5"3 and size 10 is fat for my frame and height.
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you were 4'5", a size 10 might be fat. If you're 5'10" like me, a size 10 is not fat. It's all relative.

Just because the all the stores seem to be out of size 10's (I have that problem, too, and I'm betting we're in different parts of the country) more than likely means that it's just a popular size. If it's something you really want then it's worth asking the store staff/manager when they'll be getting another shipment in. If it's a smaller store like Forever 21, sometimes they will hold a pair of jeans or items for you in the size you want when they get a shipment in. Big box stores like Walmart won't. But knowing when they will get new inventory will help you snag some of those elusive size 10's.

What I'm hearing, though, from the first part of your post is that you are still not "seeing" yourself as being smaller/fitter. I have BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) and even though I have gone from a size 18/20 to an 8/10, I still do not see myself as being any thinner than I was when I was a size 14. That's where my brain quit processing visual changes in my body. In a mirror or reflective surface in real-time, I still see myself as large. It's in photographs later that I see how much I've changed and can actually "register" the weight loss.

If your BMI is healthy, if you're fit and strong, if you're happy with your results, then don't stress. For some people, it takes time for the visual adaptation of size change & weight loss to set in. For others, psychological factors can enter in -- especially if you've been large your whole life. Fear of never being skinny enough plagues many people even after they reach ideal weight. I'd say to relax and just enjoy your healthier body. Keep taking care of it and unless you're not at a healthy place for your height (maybe you really are 4'5"? LOL) then don't attach labels.

BTW congrats on such a wonderful loss -- a great accomplishment for your fitness journey. :)
  • jennifershoo
    Options

I like your honesty.