help! addicted to sugar

Options
14567810»

Replies

• GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    just a heads up, i read that day 14 is the day most ppl fall off the wagon, best to be prepared for it. went cold turkey this month and only lasted till day 17. i'll do it again, this time i'll be counting the days and attempt to reach higher than 17, and keep going. best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    just a heads up, i read that day 14 is the day most ppl fall off the wagon, best to be prepared for it. went cold turkey this month and only lasted till day 17. i'll do it again, this time i'll be counting the days and attempt to reach higher than 17, and keep going. best of luck :flowerforyou:

My motto is you are never a loser until you quit. Good luck to you on your goals. Friend me if you want. Maybe we can help each other. :flowerforyou:
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

My motto is you are never a loser until you quit. Good luck to you on your goals. Friend me if you want. Maybe we can help each other. :flowerforyou:

Good motto! I'm stealing it as my new personal motto!
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Same problem, i used to eat like 200-400g of sugar or even more on some days... What i did : restriced added sugar intake to 35g a day, and don't worry about natural sugars, which i still have quite a lot (coming from honey, fruits, etc) Also get some stevia (don't buy other sweeteners, most of them are crap) to put in your tea or whatever.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sandigesha
    Options
    Also, most likely you are infested with parasites, which love sugar. Sometimes craving are coming from them. Try to go on a cleanse for a week or so, and see how you feel after. If your skin is breaking out, it is a good indication. If you have no time/desire for a proper cleanse, try eating as much pumpkin seeds as you can on an empty stomach 2-3 hours before your first meal, do it for a few days or a weeks, that helps to some people.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    no worries..SUGAR is the best thing the Creator has got going....
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

Good motto! I'm stealing it as my new personal motto!

thank you and steal away. I hope it helps you as much as it has me.
  • schindr
    schindr Posts: 1
    Options
    There are certain foods you should just simply avoid purchasing. If you don't have them on hand you won't eat them. Also, you will want to be sure you are eating enough of the "good" carbohydrates - whole grain breads, whole grain cereals (oats, oat bran), fresh fruits and vegetables - at least five servings of vegetables and 2-3 fresh fruits per day. Stay away from anything with white flour and white sugar. Focus on lowfat healthy protein sources: dairy, fish, poultry - ground turkey can be substituted for anything that calls for ground beef.

The changes you make to your food plan should be the ones you can be happy with for a lifetime. This would be a lifestyle change for you - changing your cooking and eating habits forever. That is the only thing that works.

Along with the food changes (50% of your new program), you must exercise daily. Begin by walking three times per day for 10 minutes at a time. Work up to 3-5 miles daily. Regular exercise will help with moderating your hormones and food cravings. Without the exercise the food changes will not work. Without the food changes, exercising won't work by itself.

If you fall off the wagon for a day - don't look back - just jump back on the wagon and keep going.

Good Luck!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    For me, honesty is key. This has meant admitting I don't "eat just one." So cold turkey was/is my only chance of success. I also dropped artificul sugar as it triggers my cravings. Anytime you are removing something it is best to put something else in it's place. So I suggest you make a plan: What will you do instead of eating sugar? and then ask "How will I get myself to follow through on the substitution?" Another thing that helps me is perspective. I say "I don't eat X" not "I can't.." or "I shouldn't..." because I CAN eat it and if I say I can't then I'll rebel like a two year old and gobble up everything in sight. A lot of people say will-power and I'm happy for them if that works but it's not an answer for all of us.

^^^Good advice.^^^ I would agree that it is important to tell yourself (and everyone else) that, "I don't eat sweets" not that you can't eat them. As a matter of fact, I likely COULD eat something sugary occasionally without my body going all haywire because it has been a long time and I'm fairly certain that my hormones are mostly back in order. But what is important to me is that I DON"T WANT TO.

ETA: It is important that you not go too low on your fats. Thirty-five grams of fat a day is absolutely necessary to maintain health (that is the reason why they are called "essential fatty acids"---because they are essential). If you lower your carbs, you must raise your fats (I eat around 95-100 grams of "good fats" per day--but I am always under my calorie goal). You will not be able to maintain a diet of low-carb/low-fat. It will set you up for binging and regain. It was NEVER true that low-fat diets are good for you. Low-fat, high carbohydrate diets are the standard diet advice and it stinks. It does not work for the long haul (and for some people, it doesn't even work in the short haul). My brother is a Type II diabetic and his dopey doc put him on a low-fat diet (bordering on no-fat). He drinks only skim milk, eats only fat-free this, fat-free that and he lost a fair bit of weight (he was on Topamax for his arthritis and Glucophage for the diabetes and both aided his weight loss--he also takes three different medications for his high blood pressure) BUT, because it was a high-carbohydrate diet, his diabetes got worse. Now that he has "graduated" to insulin, he has regained all that he lost and then some. He is starting to get scary complications (like an ulcer on his foot). He is seven years younger than I am and looks at least ten years older.

A little over three years ago, I was diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" and my doctor was urging me to add a third blood pressure medication to the maximum dose of two that I was already taking. I decided that I had had ENOUGH! I cut out simple carbs and sugar and I was able to get off of all blood pressure medication as my blood pressure normalized EVEN BEFORE I HAD LOST MUCH WEIGHT. My FBS is now normal and my HbA1C is great. My triglycerides are also normal. Eating fat (and protein) is important to even out blood sugar swings so that you don't feel like you have to binge on sweets.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against shirtless men I do have a problem with people ignoring facts not being willing to learn any new ones and belittling other peoples problems

fact

noun
    a thing that is indisputably the case

http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/fact

Since according to you it is a fact sugar addiction is real, you should have no problem actually presenting the evidence of its existence that indisputably shows that to be true. Waits for it
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Also, most likely you are infested with parasites, which love sugar. Sometimes craving are coming from them. Try to go on a cleanse for a week or so, and see how you feel after. If your skin is breaking out, it is a good indication. If you have no time/desire for a proper cleanse, try eating as much pumpkin seeds as you can on an empty stomach 2-3 hours before your first meal, do it for a few days or a weeks, that helps to some people.

Where did you read about this solution?
    Pumpkin seeds and cleansing? Pretty sure that's not a thing
  • Sandigesha
    Options
    Well, it was the case with me, so i ve done some research, and it all pointed out to the fact of parasites eating sugar and making you want to eat more of it so that they can reproduce and multiply. They seem to hate pumpkin seeds, natural juices, spices.

AND you must limit your sugars to the minimum while cleansing of course