help! addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    By fearmongering?

Acg67 ~ No disrespect - but what is your purpose here? To pick arguments or help someone? The OP has identified that she has an issue with sugar/food addiction. She is seeking support, if i'm correct. Your bashing does nothing to help her or anyone here. It's all about the love and support my friend. It's better to be kind and help people - than to be 'right'.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

Completely agree that he is offensive and ignorant and coming from a true sugar addict I know beyond a reasonable doubt that it is real.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    By fearmongering?

Acg67 ~ No disrespect - but what is your purpose here? To pick arguments or help someone? The OP has identified that she has an issue with sugar/food addiction. She is seeking support, if i'm correct. Your bashing does nothing to help her or anyone here. It's all about the love and support my friend. It's better to be kind and help people - than to be 'right'.

So please enlighten me, how is fearmongering helpful?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues
    I have never seen you be nice on here not once it actually is a proven fact you can be addicted to sugar how about you get to know some facts before you go running your mouth eh? to the OP I hear you been there still there what helps for me is to eat more meals through out the day that have things like apples, and I started chewing some gum. Its a battle and not having those things in the house really helps
    Options

That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

I agree. And the extra difficulty that sugar-addicts have is the ubiquitous nature of sugar---it is in SO many processed foods. To get away from it, you have to be very diligent.

I'm sorry, but sugar is not a narcotic.

You do have to be diligent, but it is NOT the same as cocaine. That's ridiculous.

No one is saying that it is a narcotic but it definitely has the same addicting effects on the brain that a narcotic does. Please do your research
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    get it out of the house! definitely a good first step. commit to accepting that you might feel like crap for a few days while your body recovers from the addicition, but my guess is it would only take a week or so. during cravings have fruit - apples, berries, etc to help you through it.

good luck I'll be rooting for you!

^^^THIS. If sugar is your kryptonite, you must get it out of the house and out of your life.

I struggle a lot with binge eating (usually with sweets) and I know that the day after a binge, I will be craving more sugar than the world can contain. Realizing that my body feels so much better without all of that sugar has helped tremendously on me cutting back and halting the binging.

As far as when the craving comes...eat some fruit (dried or reg) or a square of dark chocolate. It might seem bitter at first, but gradually you'll get used to the taste (trust me!). Plus, one square seems to do the trick (for me) without bringing on any of that gimmemorerightthisverysecond out of control-ness.

Good luck! I KNOW you can beat this! :flowerforyou:
  • cleanandlean2012
    cleanandlean2012 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Read James Duigan's Clean and Lean - I used to have several (ok 7-10 chocolate bars / sweet things) every day, and I am not talking small sizes. I have since lost 46lbs using his nutritional plan, essentially removing:

C - Caffiene (I still have tea and 1 coffee a day)
    R - Refined Sugar - (to satisfy sweet tooth I have maple syrup (1 tbsp) on either fruit and natural yogurt or on top of protein pancakes)
    A - alcohol
    P - Processed foods

Essentially I use anything that is natural - meats, fish, veg, nuts, seeds, eggs, advocado, berries, apples and 3 litres of water a day.

Hope it helps.

PS the first thing people noticed was a fresh glow, clear skin and shiny hair!
  • mok33
    mok33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I too have a sugar addiction, and sugar is the enemy... you have to have it out of the house, no cereal, no fruit, no candy and no sugar. First set your food diary to reflect the amount of sugar in your daily diet .... secondly remember that many bodily ills feed on sugar... arthritis, cancer, and probably Alzheimer's... I would tend to guess most of the joint damage in my body ~ besides carrying too much weight ~ is directly a result of the sugar I have consumed in my life time.... will power is not easy.... try to remember that every time you are craving sugar your body is actually craving protein.... have plenty on hand! It can be done...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My mother has this problem - what's helped her is having it out of the house.

And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

Here is a link that shows if you are craving something, and what some healthy alternatives may be (sorry for the small font, that's just the way it shows up)

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/dc/21/fb/dc21fb4bfdb3282bb957b86514dc2301.jpg
    I agree with this person, as a sugar addict i had to just quit cold turkey, and it wasn't easy. When I tried to phase out i fell back into my old ways. best of luck to you, you are totally capable of doing this!
  • meeper123
    Options
    also don't fall for the sugar free candies those are a trap!
    Options
    What you call fear mongering, others call drawing attention to a real problem some people face.
    It wasn't all that long ago things alcohol addiction were called a moral issues Now they are recognized in the DSM-IV. Addiction is a very real thing, and it doesn't help to shame people. Eating sugar in moderation and having a drink here and there may be doable for you - it's not that case for everyone.

An alcohol addict who quits cold turkey will seize and die.

Sugar is not even in the same category as alcohol and narcotics. Addiction is real, but all addictions are not the same. An addiction to sugar or even marijuana is not of the same class as one to alcohol or cocaine/opiates.

To even suggest as much is irresponsible on your part and only serves to enable people to continue doing something they clearly know is bad for them.

Not true about an alcohol addict seizing and dying. And sugar addiction has been proven to be in the same category as heroin. Suggesting that people that ARE addicted to sugar can just simply quit is irresponsible on your part and only serves to enable people such as yourself to shame others.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Find one sweet thing that really satisfies you, and work it into your plan in the evenings. I'm not talking a 50-calorie brownie bite or one little square of chocolate; it needs to be satisfying to the point you're content to not have more. For me, that's a blended iced cappuccino (I swear by them -- 155 calories and beyond satisfying). Have it be the last thing you eat before bed so you know all day that you have that to look forward to. It's been a lifesaver for me thus far. A banana with a tablespoon of chocolate syrup is also a very satisfying post-dinner dessert. A serving of cereal can keep you from going insane when you're craving sweets, too. I'm a big fan of pitted prunes, as well...but that's just me. :)

I don't recommend trying to go cold turkey with sugar. Find things that fit. You could also plan one day a week or every couple of weeks where you allow yourself the things you really crave. Knowing you can have what you're craving at some point goes a long way towards helping you stay on track.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I have never seen you be nice on here not once it actually is a proven fact you can be addicted to sugar how about you get to know some facts before you go running your mouth eh? to the OP I hear you been there still there what helps for me is to eat more meals through out the day that have things like apples, and I started chewing some gum. Its a battle and not having those things in the house really helps

Proven fact, eh? Gambling and drugs are there but where is sugar?

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Eating Disorders Fact Sheet.pdf
  • bpaoloni
    bpaoloni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can offer some support to the sugar addiction argument. Whether or not you believe it is similar to a narcotic additction, the bottom line is that for some people, including myself, there is a physical reaction with sugar or simple carbs (white flour, pasta, bread etc). Though not what we want to hear, the best way to make it go away is to abstain from those items. As many have posted, its important to avoid all high glycemic foods not just sugar. I only use stevia as a sweetener (pure stevia not the blends that are out there). I have found that low fat plain yogurt sweetened with stevia and some berries satisfies a desire for sweets, but I have to say that since I have been off sugar and other carbs I have been spared the cravings. I don't make those trips to the store for bags and bags of candy anymore. On the flipside, going back to the eating sugar will bring those cravings back in a heartbeat! Bite the bullit - you will feel sooo much better than the sugar makes you feel!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Some people try to help. Some people just like to cause problems... And spend a lot of their time doing so.
    I've found that when people have a problem with how other people are living their life, it is a reflection on them more than the person they are trying to put down.
    Options

Once again you should really stay of these conversations because you really DON'T know what you're talking about......get a grip! :explode:

Says the person who posts animal studies as "proof" of something's existence in humans

I posted proof but you refused to believe it.....that's your problem not mine and I agree why do you come into these conversations? It's surely not to help with your OPINION......as I said before, it is just that, your opinion. All you want to do is try to shame someone, when in fact it is you and people like you that can't get their heads out of the sand that should be ashamed....You offer no evidence that sugar isn't addictive just your attitude, which sucks by the way.....get a life and stay out of something that you obviously know very LITTLE about.
    Options

Some people try to help. Some people just like to cause problems... And spend a lot of their time doing so.
    I've found that when people have a problem with how other people are living their life, it is a reflection on them more than the person they are trying to put down.

Exactly! You nailed him! :flowerforyou:
  • meeper123
    Options

Proven fact, eh? Gambling and drugs are there but where is sugar?

http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Eating Disorders Fact Sheet.pdf

Have you ever been helpful like ever or just like you faceless obviously fake pics to hide your own problems people are here to make a change they don't need things like this from people like you. Also that site you posted is completely isn't even relevant. lol Even if she did have any of these eating disorders they way you handle yourself is just about the least helpful productive way to present it. Learn some manners and get some tact.
  • meeper123
    Options

Exactly! You nailed him! :flowerforyou:

your totally right that's why I put him on ignore he just wants attention lol
  • anyaeri
    anyaeri Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you! I heard about cravings being related to the body lacking something entirely different, I will definitely try this. & I had a feeling the overwhelming response would be to just stop, lool. I've tried, I've been eating candy in place of meals since I was very young so the cravings are pretty terrible, but I'll keep trying :)