help! addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

I'd just like to point out here that there is no way that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. I'm a science guy and I almost always defer to the evidence but in this case there's just no way. I respect your work in addiction and I know you must realise that Cocaine is not glamourised for no reason.

That's fine. This is one study (I haven't had much time to look for others, if they exist) so it is by no means definitive. Of course there are flaws, but it may give hope to people who are suffering. Eventually there will be more research that leads the discussion one way or another.
    In an anecdotal discussion with 2 co-workers who used to use cocaine, they agreed with the results. They've both kicked cocaine, but not sugar. Of course I'm sure there are several external factors that contribute to this.

You keep forgetting that was a study on rats and have yet to answer if everything that happens to rats in studies applies to humans or not.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I cant live without sugar and i use to consume too much of it as well. When i tried quiting it, it seemed almost impossible because it would drive me nuts. It was like a splinter in my mind, poking me constantly until i would break and indulge in something sweet. However when i would break i wouldnt stop at one cookie. Oh no, i would eat the whole box of cookies lol.

What has worked for me (and i cant really pin point out specific thing cause many things have happened at the same time) but i've created a stress-free environment for myself, got myself busy with things i love to do to keep my mind off of sugar, exercised regularly, replaced junk sweets with fruits and i've created a cheat day once a week, usually saturday night when we go to a restaurant for a dinner. I've made sure there are no sweets in the house to tempt me and i consumed large amounts of water. Water seemed to lessen my sugar craving. Most importantly, i've joined MFP and it has transformed my eating habits entirely.

Love MFP!!!!

The only time i use sugar is in my morning coffee and its only one bag of raw sugar.

Hope this helped.

Good luck!
    sounds about right. pretty much IIFYM.

people who go to extremes are the first to fail, people who do things like the above are more likely to succeed.

a "diet" is not something that should be short term but a lifestyle change.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to sugar too. I'm 3 days into completely eliminating it from my diet (even sugar added to condiments and things like that). I have stopped craving sugar, and even fruit tastes super sweet now. I suggest working up the determination to just cut it out of your diet forever. With full blown addiction, I think that's really the only solution. I have tried so many other things, and they have failed. Also, look into OA. They offer some good support for dealing with food addiction.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    dehydrated fruit, flavored waters, using truvia instead of sugar, sugarfree candy, (do NOT eat more than a serving at a time, bad gastrointestinal things will happen), gum.

if you have netflix watch the "addicted to candy" episode of Freaky Eaters, their experts help a woman get over her addiction to sugar and candy.

Unfortunately, it is the fructose portion of sugar (sucrose, i.e. "sugar" is 50% fructose, high fructose corn syrup is even worse at 55% fructose) that is the "addictive" part. Eating ANY fruit (and worse yet, dried fruit, which is very high in fructose) will just prolong the "detox" period. If you just go "cold turkey" the physical addiction is broken in about two weeks (for some people, it only takes a week) and then you can go back to eating normal amounts of low-fructose fruit per day (one or two servings). But if you go back to eating sugar, the sugar addiction (which is progressive, by the way) will start up again. It is very similar to alcohol addiction in its physical aspects (in fact, fructose is assimilated by the liver in ways that are quite similar to how alcohol is assimilated).

according to what? fructose is not a toxin to the body, you do not suffer from withdrawal from getting off fructose as you do with alcohol.

Sugar is not a true addiction. one may crave it but that is OPs fault. I would stop cold turkey because it isnt going to kill you

Fructose, like alcohol, does not do any particular harm in small doses. But it does a great deal of harm in large doses (the kind of doses that OP was speaking of---or the 300 calories worth that some people eat every day). Diabetes researchers are zeroing in on just what happens in the body in response to excessive fructose consumption (because of our sugar "habit"--do you like that word better?). For one, fructose assimilation causes a rise in serum uric acid levels and that has many deleterious effects on the body. There

We had this conversation but you backed down.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    The effect of fructose on cardiometabolic risk in humans is controversial. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled feeding trials to clarify the effect of fructose on glycemic control in individuals with diabetes.
    RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS:
    We searched MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Library (through 22 March 2012) for relevant trials lasting ≥7 days. Data were aggregated by the generic inverse variance method (random-effects models) and expressed as mean difference (MD) for fasting glucose and insulin and standardized MD (SMD) with 95% CI for glycated hemoglobin (HbA(1c)) and glycated albumin. Heterogeneity was assessed by the Cochran Q statistic and quantified by the I(2) statistic. Trial quality was assessed by the Heyland methodological quality score (MQS).
    RESULTS:
    Eighteen trials (n = 209) met the eligibility criteria. Isocaloric exchange of fructose for carbohydrate reduced glycated blood proteins (SMD -0.25 [95% CI -0.46 to -0.04]; P = 0.02) with significant intertrial heterogeneity (I(2) = 63%; P = 0.001). This reduction is equivalent to a ~0.53% reduction in HbA(1c). Fructose consumption did not significantly affect fasting glucose or insulin. A priori subgroup analyses showed no evidence of effect modification on any end point.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Isocaloric exchange of fructose for other carbohydrate improves long-term glycemic control, as assessed by glycated blood proteins, without affecting insulin in people with diabetes. Generalizability may be limited because most of the trials were <12 weeks and had relatively low MQS (<8). To confirm these findings, larger and longer fructose feeding trials assessing both possible glycemic benefit and adverse metabolic effects are required.

Lustwig is a moron with his study
    I dont know if i I spelled his name wrong, nor do I care. He will go down in the history books as someone that was wrong if he is lucky.

alcohol is processed as a toxin
    fructose is stored

many of the studies you posted in previous arguments were old study that were 30+ years old
    I dont know where I will encounter 100+g of fructose.
    I probably hit about 200-300 of carbs a day if I am lucky, but even then... those old studies are very extreme

You are apparently remembering a "conversation" that you had with someone else. I posted nothing having to do with Robert Lustig. If you want to eat sugar--go right ahead. Why is it so important to you that everyone else do the same? I personally have my own experimentation with myself that shows how a high carb diet is deleterious. When I restricted carbs and especially sugar, my blood pressure returned to normal EVEN BEFORE I LOST MUCH WEIGHT. Believe what you want. For me, seeing is believing.

no, it was you. You were one of the first people I got into an arguement on this forum.
    you talked about lustwig and how he injected a rat with 60% fructose energy that is equivalent to 1200 carbohydrate calories in someone who is on a 2k calorie diet.

Do you know what the effects on a hypocaloric diet are in terms of blood sugar control is?
    Do you know what high levels of circulating blood sugar does to your blood vessels?
    In obese people they have decreased insulin sensitivity due to adipose tissue.
    Its no surprise that an obese person would have to watch their sugar intake

Seeing is believing, and seeing the effects of what high unregulated blood sugar does to the human body in an overweight person with decreased insulin sensitivity will cause hardening of the blood vessels.
    This causes less elasticity and will result in an increase BP.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What you call fear mongering, others call drawing attention to a real problem some people face.
    It wasn't all that long ago things alcohol addiction were called a moral issues Now they are recognized in the DSM-IV. Addiction is a very real thing, and it doesn't help to shame people. Eating sugar in moderation and having a drink here and there may be doable for you - it's not that case for everyone.

An alcohol addict who quits cold turkey will seize and die.

Sugar is not even in the same category as alcohol and narcotics. Addiction is real, but all addictions are not the same. An addiction to sugar or even marijuana is not of the same class as one to alcohol or cocaine/opiates.

To even suggest as much is irresponsible on your part and only serves to enable people to continue doing something they clearly know is bad for them.

I agree the severity of addictions are not the same, but for someone who eats large amounts of sugar, they will most likely have some bad side effects when they cut down or eliminate.

I have PCOS so I do eat low carb and do not have sugar cravings because I just don't really eat any, but when I was eating fruit and eating a normal diet, I did have cravings that I do not have eating low carb/low sugar. I really think it comes down to what you personally can handle. If going cold turkey and just cutting it out isn't something you think you can do, start eliminating the crappy refined stuff like candy and junk and try and stick to the fruits and such. At least with fruit you are getting a lot of nutrients and some fiber where as candy has nothing but empty calories.

If you think you can handle it, wipe the slate clean, eat low carb for a week or so till all your cravings are gone and start experimenting by adding things back in and see how they affect you. You may find some things with sugar don't trigger cravings where as others will.

I know everyone is all about the science, and it is definitely great to be informed and knowledgable, but you need to take what you learn and see how things work for you. The only way you will know how things effect your body is to experiment on yourself.

Not all people can eat in moderation because they just don't have the self control. You may gain it the farther you are down the road and the more control you have over your emotions and eating, and if this over indulging of sugar is causing you to stall or gain, you are better off just eliminating it until you can get control over it. I know a lot is mind over matter, but for most, retraining your brain is the hardest part of this whole process.

I wish you the best!!
  • zlacasse
    zlacasse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your sugar cravings and struggle with food myself. I found this DAMY sugar detox helped me out. I would probably eliminate apples from the food list if you want to avoid something that may send you into a sugar binge. http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/02/the-sugar-detox/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What you call fear mongering, others call drawing attention to a real problem some people face.
    It wasn't all that long ago things alcohol addiction were called a moral issues Now they are recognized in the DSM-IV. Addiction is a very real thing, and it doesn't help to shame people. Eating sugar in moderation and having a drink here and there may be doable for you - it's not that case for everyone.

An alcohol addict who quits cold turkey will seize and die.

Sugar is not even in the same category as alcohol and narcotics. Addiction is real, but all addictions are not the same. An addiction to sugar or even marijuana is not of the same class as one to alcohol or cocaine/opiates.

To even suggest as much is irresponsible on your part and only serves to enable people to continue doing something they clearly know is bad for them.

Detoxing alcohol is the on;y one that will kill you. Detoxing off of cocaine, heroin, etc. will not kill you.

Edit for spelling

You can die detoxing off heroin (not sure about cocaine).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

Since you've done so much research on addiction, does everything that happens in mouse/rat studies, apply to humans? Since that's where the as addictive as cocaine comes from. Also Dr LOLstig?, please do a little more research

Of course not, that was an article that uses small words that most people can understand.

ETA: It's actually Dr. Robert Lustig. Maybe you should actually read something before you insult me for sending it on.

O rly? I had no idea his name was actually Lustig, thank you for pointing that out. Unless of course I did know that and changed the Lus to LOL due to his normally incorrect fear mongering on sugar and fructose.

It wasn't all that long ago things alcohol addiction were called a moral issues Now they are recognized as brain disorders in the DSM-IV. Addiction is a very real thing, and it doesn't help to shame people. Eating sugar in moderation and having a drink here and there may be doable for you - it's not that case for everyone.

www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/988127-scientific-review-of-lolstig-s-fat-chance

Thanks for posting this, I may read through it. But I'll take my scientific research over a thread on MFP.

Did you even click into the thread?
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Instead of a p!ssing match - here's the truth; food addiction is well, an addiction. That being solved, what do we do now?
    A great tool for recovery --- much like AA or NA is OA --- www.overeatersanonymous.org

Find a meeting - make friends - do what they tell you to do. Or find a food addiction therapist. There are plenty of them.

Regardless of which substance is 'more' addictive or which MD is a whack.... It's trading seats on the titanic. ALL addiction kills the mind, body and spirit. If you haven't lived it or been properly educated, then listen up with your EARS.
    peace.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Instead of a p!ssing match - here's the truth; food addiction is well, an addiction. That being solved, what do we do now?
    A great tool for recovery --- much like AA or NA is OA --- www.overeatersanonymous.org

Find a meeting - make friends - do what they tell you to do. Or find a food addiction therapist. There are plenty of them.

Regardless of which substance is 'more' addictive or which MD is a whack.... It's trading seats on the titanic. ALL addiction kills the mind, body and spirit. If you haven't lived it or been properly educated, then listen up with your EARS.
    peace.

^^My thoughts exactly! Thanks for putting it into words! The OP needs good advice not a pissing match!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

peace.

Agreed, I'm sorry if I helped turn it into a pissing match, I was originally trying to help.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

peace.

Agreed, I'm sorry if I helped turn it into a pissing match, I was originally trying to help.

By fearmongering?
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    My mother has this problem - what's helped her is having it out of the house.

And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

Here is a link that shows if you are craving something, and what some healthy alternatives may be (sorry for the small font, that's just the way it shows up)

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/dc/21/fb/dc21fb4bfdb3282bb957b86514dc2301.jpg

^^ Agree with above! You need to cut it out in entirety and as another member above this post noted that worked for them it is best to do it for more than a few days as they had. It could take a few weeks to a month to completely shut out the cravings for candy and since it is such a 'need' to you right now it is best to go as long as you can without refined sugars and IMO that includes all pops (aspartame ones too), juices, sweet breads or baked confections (cookies, cakes, pies, anything that uses any form of sugar). Drink only water, eat anything else for the first few days to a week then slowly add back in the healthier sources with refined sugars or fake sugars. It will definitely be hard, you will want to give up every single day you do it until you make it past those first 7 days, after the first 7 suddenly when you go back to having a little of it back it won't seem so natural to consume it.

Good foods to use instead of sugary stuff is fresh sweet fruit like strawberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, cherries, etc. They can cure the sweet tooth and have nutrition unlike refined sugars that have had all their nutritional parts removed.

Personally I have trouble with confections and baked items so I keep a lot of it out of my house, I eat toast yes... but I basically have cut out everything else! I have a tub of key rings given to me at chrismtas and I have not had a single one in months with speaks to my will power but I spend 2 days a month doing crazy movie night which is calorific and had lots of the bad stuff including icecream, slurpees and candies so that my daughter and I can share something fun and it rids me of the cravings. This is something you can even do for yourself when you create a more healthy relationship with sugar.

I really hope you can kick it and come to enjoy it as once in a while treats.
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    get it out of the house! definitely a good first step. commit to accepting that you might feel like crap for a few days while your body recovers from the addicition, but my guess is it would only take a week or so. during cravings have fruit - apples, berries, etc to help you through it.

good luck I'll be rooting for you!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out here that there is no way that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. I'm a science guy and I almost always defer to the evidence but in this case there's just no way. I respect your work in addiction and I know you must realise that Cocaine is not glamourised for no reason.

Have you looked into Dr. Amen's research --- brain scans in which participants brain activity is very similarly effected whether on sugar or narcotics?
    http://www.amenclinics.com

Food addiction is both physical and emotional.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

Once again you should really stay of these conversations because you really DON'T know what you're talking about......get a grip! :explode:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Whether it's a physical or mental addiction doesn't matter as much as you need to stop for your own life's sake. You are on your way to diabetes and heart disease because you are obese. The fact that you are adding gross amounts of sugar to juice, which is already sweet, says that this is more than just a simple craving.

Seek professional help to overcome the addiction and start your new life today. Will it be difficult - yes. Will it kill you - no, but to be blunt your current lifestyle will sooner rather than later. Make friends on this site that will support and motivate you. You're welcome to add me if you want.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I definitely echo the cold turkey quitting. The first 2-3 days will be AWFUL. I would recommend eating a power bar (caramel chocolate latte brownie chunk - whatever kind of sweet kind you can find) with lots of protein to help, especially in the afternoon. I always crave sugar at around 3, and I just had an Atkins oatmeal cinnamon bar. It's 180 calories, but I got 5g of protein and it got rid of my need for sweetness!

You'll find that if you can stick to being low/free of sugar, your cravings will totally go away (which is a seriously beautiful thing!).
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

The OP is taking responsibility in recognizing the power that food has had over her and reaching out for something different. She hardly needs your judgment. There is definitely "food addiction" (it is well recognized by many medical authorities) and sugar consumption is increasingly being pointed to as at the center of that addiction. Here is a link to the proceedings of a scientific conference on the subject: http://www.foodaddictionsummit.org/index.htm The list of presenters is impressive.

Don't waste your breath......you can't open a closed mind. He knows a lot about nothing.