5'4 at 153 lbs

Options
I started MFP a few months ago and want to say I started tracking since mid March 2013. I work out 5-6 times a week for about 1hour or hour 1/2 on average each day. I switch up my work outs doing kickboxing, bootcamp, jog or walk 5 miles about twice a week, and have recently incorporated Cardio Barre once a week when possible. I recently changed my settings to 1200 calories (+) PLUS my exercise calories. I've been eating most of my exercise calories back. However, I've only lost 4 lbs since I started on MFP. I often read the different message boards on people's success stories who have lost more weight in a 2 month period so I know it's possible, but i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I also try to drink at least 64 oz of water a day. In the past I've lost weight following a gluten free/dairy free diet; however, my hubby is a picky eater and it's been hard to cook two different meals every day so i've stopped doing gluten free and made sure to track and stay within my calorie intake instead.

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MAINLY FROM PEOPLE WHO STARTED OFF WITHIN MY SAME HEIGHT AND WEIGHT RANGE THAT CAN OFFER POINTERS ON WHAT"S WORKED FOR THEM. I would truly appreciate it. Thanks all!

Replies

• whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think it's just because you don't have that much weight left to lose. Also, if you're working out that much, you probably need to eat more calories. If you look on the message boards, you can find the "in place of a road map" and information about calculating your TDEE and such. I really don't think losing 4 pounds is too terrible! At least you're seeing some sort of loss. Also, you should try using a tape measure and taking your measurements. You might find some success that way.

Good luck!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    hey Hey,

I'm 5'3" was 151 and about 140 right now

I am set to eat 1510 calories a day and I Crossfit almost 6 days a week. I had to increase my cals because of body fat percentage drop so I was burning more daily. I eat close to 2000.
    Try increasing your cals -- you will maintain then you'll see a drop but yet it will be very slow.

With the amount you are working out take your measurements as that will be your most accurate way of knowing.
  • MGreensides
    MGreensides Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5 and weigh 164lbs currently. I've lost 11.5lbs since starting 7 weeks ago and i run 5k a day. I eat no less then 1500calories a day. When i was eating 1300 per day i want losing at all, then just by bumping it up 200 cal's a day the weight started to drop. It's 80% diet, 20% exercise, you could work out at he gym until the cows came home but if you aren't eating properly it won't make a lick of difference.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Well, I certainly didn't start out that size, but I'm in that ball park now. I have been struggling the last 3 or so months and only losing .5 to 1.5 lbs per MONTH. In the last 2 weeks, I've changed to eating back only 65% of my calories. This seems to have really kick-started things for me. In the last 2 weeks, I've dropped 3 lbs. And my days haven't all been 'good' eating days as I recently lost a friend and have been grieving with food.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a few months ago and want to say I started tracking since mid March 2013. I work out 5-6 times a week for about 1hour or hour 1/2 on average each day. I switch up my work outs doing kickboxing, bootcamp, jog or walk 5 miles about twice a week, and have recently incorporated Cardio Barre once a week when possible. I recently changed my settings to 1200 calories (+) PLUS my exercise calories. I've been eating most of my exercise calories back. However, I've only lost 4 lbs since I started on MFP. I often read the different message boards on people's success stories who have lost more weight in a 2 month period so I know it's possible, but i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I also try to drink at least 64 oz of water a day. In the past I've lost weight following a gluten free/dairy free diet; however, my hubby is a picky eater and it's been hard to cook two different meals every day so i've stopped doing gluten free and made sure to track and stay within my calorie intake instead.

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MAINLY FROM PEOPLE WHO STARTED OFF WITHIN MY SAME HEIGHT AND WEIGHT RANGE THAT CAN OFFER POINTERS ON WHAT"S WORKED FOR THEM. I would truly appreciate it. Thanks all!

I am 5 3, and started at 172ish, now down to about 135. I started off at the typical 1200, but since joining MFP and educating myself I started eating back my exercise calories. My weight loss has REALLY slowed (I only want to lose another 10lbs or so). Losing 1 lb a week is great - I do a happy dance if I lose a pound :laugh: You sound like you are doing all the right things, keep it consistant and stick with it :smile:
  • jmmcdowell2
    jmmcdowell2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 158. I have a body type that can hold more weight--even at my thinnest I was 135 and that was wearing a 5/6 in juniors sizes. Even so, I had a hard time losing the weight after having baby #3. I also work out 5-6 days per week doing 30-35 minutes of strength and cardio moves (right now it's Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30). I've been logging calories since January and working out since well before that and I am down about 10 pounds. But it has been a tough 5 months! I noticed I do better when I eat mainly whole foods and limit my sugar as much as possible. And I have to be extra careful to measure and write down everything because if I eat a few extra bites here and a couple calories there, it really adds up and puts me over my max. DEFINITELY check your measurements--I've had a few weeks now at 146-147 but I lost an inch from my waist and an inch and a half from my hips. So sometimes building muscle doesn't equate to losing pounds. Good luck!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same height, SW. My goal was 130--I am at 132 and ok with losing more or not. .5 - 1lbs per week is aveage if you only have 20-25 lbs to lose. Hang in there, it is slow but it happens.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I'M AT 5-4. AND 146 LBS CURRENTLY. I EAT 1600 A DAY, AND CARDIO AN 30-60 MINUTES A DAY PLUS AN HOUR STRENGTH. ITS A SLOW PROCESS, IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS TO LOSE 10 LBS. BUT SINCE ITS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE, IM' JUST GOING WITH THE FLOW. YOU CANT REALLY RUSH THIS , YOU JUST GOTTA EAT AT THE CALORIE LEVEL FOR THE WEIGHT YOU WANNA BE AND EVENTUALLY YOU WILL BE THAT WEIGHT, AND ENJOY THE RIDE THERE.
  • CrystaLight74
    Options
    I echo what Whiteoutpen and Abells said!!! :)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and, even though I started at around 170, I was the same weight as you are when I started using MFP. I lost the majority of my weight with longer distance running, other cardio, and doing light weights about 5 times a week until I stalled out around 152 pounds. I was eating around 1300-1600 calories and didn't eat back exercise calories because I was using another site to track that didn't have that type of system. After an injury I had to stop running and since the beginning of April I've done exclusively heavy lifting about 3 times a week. Also, I eat around 1650 calories, often more on the weekends and eat the foods I want as long as they fit in my goal. I now weigh 141 pounds and look much more fit than I did when I was running.
  • dozycatmd
    dozycatmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and fluctuate between 148-150 lbs for about 3 months. (But the measurements are telling me I'm making progress.) I have similar issues just like yours, and more specifically having problem losing body fat, and would appreciate insights from others as well.

That being said, I do know there are things I haven't done well and could work harder to reach my goals, namely: enough sleep, sufficient water intake, and calorie deficit in the healthy range. For a while, I fell off the MFP track and had one too many cheat day, though I still exercise regularly.

I noticed that you said "I've been eating most of my exercise calories back." so I wonder how much calorie deficit you've created on average at the end of the day?
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and my heaviest was 163. I started MFP in April at 155lbs and have lost 5lbs so far. The only thing I am doing different is counting calories. I am set to eat 1500 per day and with the exercise it gives me more calories. I don't always eat all that I get back. But seeing the numbers there, really helps. I have never really "worked out" I tried to go to a gym with a 3 month trial but lost interest due to being busy with work and not having anyone to go with me. I feel like a get alot of exercise with the amount of work I do with my full time job but I have also heard that your body gets used to the regular routine so Im looking for some new ideas to add into my schedule.
    4lbs is a great start for anyone. Keep up the fabulous work!!
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and currently weigh 150, I started at 159 lbs in March 2013 too! For me it is 99% diet that gets me to lose weight. Maybe you can try only eating half of your calories back instead of all and see if that helps? I am weary of the "you aren't eating enough" comments, but that may be due more to my personal situation.
  • ruthyluv
    ruthyluv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a true believer and agree with you... 80% is what you eat and 20% exercise. I'm eating between 1500-1800 calories a day (including my exercise)..burning btwn 350-600 calories each time i work out.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" & 154 at the moment

Doing body revolution at the moment and training for a tough mudder now

Feel free to friend me
  • ruthyluv
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your feedback and comments. I guess I just need to be a little patient...I've been eating between 1500-1800 a day..and 20% of my TDEE is 1689 ..so I think I'm going to up my calories a tad so the lowest calories I eat is 1600 (including exercise calories) and I'll see if i see any difference.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bump to read when I get home!
  • ruthyluv
    Options
    hey Hey,

I'm 5'3" was 151 and about 140 right now

I am set to eat 1510 calories a day and I Crossfit almost 6 days a week. I had to increase my cals because of body fat percentage drop so I was burning more daily. I eat close to 2000.
    Try increasing your cals -- you will maintain then you'll see a drop but yet it will be very slow.

With the amount you are working out take your measurements as that will be your most accurate way of knowing.

I will try up'ing my calories.. and hopefully i see a change..thank you so much!!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I say MEH to scales. They arnt a good reflection of how good a shape your body is in. Measuring your body fat in comparison to your lean mass is what makes your body look either flabby or fabby. I weigh the same now as I did when I was 2 dress sizes bigger (151 lbs). Weight doesn't really play a part in body recomp, just my opinion....
  • ruthyluv
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 158. I have a body type that can hold more weight--even at my thinnest I was 135 and that was wearing a 5/6 in juniors sizes. Even so, I had a hard time losing the weight after having baby #3. I also work out 5-6 days per week doing 30-35 minutes of strength and cardio moves (right now it's Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30). I've been logging calories since January and working out since well before that and I am down about 10 pounds. But it has been a tough 5 months! I noticed I do better when I eat mainly whole foods and limit my sugar as much as possible. And I have to be extra careful to measure and write down everything because if I eat a few extra bites here and a couple calories there, it really adds up and puts me over my max. DEFINITELY check your measurements--I've had a few weeks now at 146-147 but I lost an inch from my waist and an inch and a half from my hips. So sometimes building muscle doesn't equate to losing pounds. Good luck!

This sounds very close to how my body is built.. At 130 I look thin.. and at 135 I feel comfortable...but my goal is 130 just so that i can have 5 lbs to work with and have that room to bounce back and forth and be okay. The smallest size I've worn at my thinnest is a size 4... I do tend to build muscle pretty fast..especially with intense kickboxing and using weights in my bootcamp class 3 times a week.