My One Year Weight Loss Journey: The Ugly Truth

Options
jazzyali
jazzyali Posts: 78 Member
I started my weight loss journey on June 1, 2012 when I went in to My Fit Foods for some information about the 21- Day Challenge. I wanted to lose a few pounds before going out of the country in August on a missions trip. Little did I know it was going to help radically change my life.

When the nutrition coach was explaining what I would need to give up for the next 21 days, I almost freaked out (well, I probably did a little on the inside). I told myself I could do anything for 21 days, so I signed up and took it seriously. I don't particularly like cooking, and often don't make the time to, so the plan seemed like a perfect fit for my busy lifestyle.

Before starting the 21 Day Challenge my daily diet consisted of several diet sodas, 1 or 2 cups of coffee: sweetened with flavored creamer, and an abundance of fast food at every meal. I was always tired and I never had the energy to go to the gym.

The first three days of the challenge were pretty rough. I had caffeine headaches and was pretty irritable, but I didn't give in to the tempting bowl of chocolates that sat on my co-workers desk.

During that time our team hosted a Zumbathon on June 9, 2012 to help raise money. I was one of the volunteers and decided once I was done to give Zumba a try!

I was shocked at how easy I could follow along and what a fun and great workout it was. One of the instructors, Kerry, really stood out to me so I got her class schedule.

I started attending Kerry's classes a few times a week and stood in the back corner away from the door so no one could see me. After a few weeks, I started making my way a little closer to the front. I really enjoyed the music and the energy and started rearranging my work schedule so I could make it to more of her classes.

The weight was literally shaking off of me from week to week. I was averaging a loss of 10 pounds a month- which was just crazy to me!

As of today I have lost celebrated 106 pounds lost (I have a few more to go till my ultimate goal). I have gone down 7 jean sizes! I am the lightest and smallest I have ever been in my life.

Zumba has not only given me a body I would've died to have had earlier, but it has made me a more confident woman. I love seeing all my Zumba friends each and every class. No matter how my day has been, the moment the music starts I am in my own dancing world (in the front row).
8795125279_9e055b1fa8_m.jpg
1- Alicia Trimble- July 2011 by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

8795129495_87d278ea2d_m.jpg
3a- Alicia Trimble- April 2012 by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

8805719890_644f91f7eb_m.jpg
9- Alicia Trimble- December 2012 by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

8795161831_f88273ef97_m.jpg
Alicia Trimble- May 17 2013 (1) by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

8805736162_1d1f0c32ed_m.jpg
Alicia Trimble- May 17 2013 (2) by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

8795148001_78350e1cfe_m.jpg
Alicia Trimble- May 17 2013 (4) by jazzyali1323, on Flickr

Replies

• Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!! You look amazing, thank you for sharing
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats on your succes. Zumba really is a fun workout. I need to get my butt back to it!
  • Barbsunshine
    Barbsunshine Posts: 398
    Options
    Congratulations! You not only look wonderful, but obviously feel wonderful too! I'll have to check with my facility to see when the Zumba classes are :). I'm wondering, what is "My Fit Foods and the 21 day challenge?
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome transformation!!!

Amazing job!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have obviously worked very hard. You almost don't look like the same person. Like a smaller, younger version of the old you. So inspiring.
  • tinalacy502
    tinalacy502 Posts: 10
    Options
    WOW!!! You look fantastic!!! Joining Zumba now!
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! That is the key find something that you love so that you WANT to do it and it will stick! :o) Just Awesome!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    What an amazing accomplishment!! Keep up the awesomeness!!
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Beautiful!
    I'm wondering what kind of exercises you've done?
  • jazzyali
    jazzyali Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!
    I'm wondering what kind of exercises you've done?

Zumba :smile: and I started lifting weights in February.
  • vmckinzey
    vmckinzey Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! What an inspiring story and transformation!
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations... You deserve all the accolades heaped upon you.
  • Rauee
    Rauee Posts: 10
    Options
    Great job! I'm just starting on trying to lose weight and I don't know where to start! Your firsthand experience is truly inspiring! Will definitely check Zumba out. Thanks! :)
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic...keep up whatever you're doing it's obviously working just don't give up!!
  • mdoyley
    mdoyley Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Alicia, you look awesome and truly what a success story! I have only 58 lbs to lose and it seems day-to-day like a rollercoaster. I just can't seem to committ even to myself what I want to do. Honestly I am a busy person going to school once a week, church three days a week and the rest spending time with my two younger children and husband. Where is the time, where is the energy? Do you have any suggestions on how to stay focused?
  • TotalTory
    TotalTory Posts: 59
    Options
    Amazing job! You are a beautiful woman. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Such an inspiration. Sure wish my body would work with Zumba - I just look like the big idiot with no moves. LOL
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story!! Congratulations on all your achievements!!!
  • siehatsdrauf
    siehatsdrauf Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you have done an incredible job!!!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • racheljeanvickers
    Options
    Wow! :D Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!