over 40, slow metabolism...and the list goes on

Options

Replies

• beth363
    beth363 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'm 49, and turning 50 in about 3 months. I can relate. Where did the time go. I'm only 33 in my mind! lol :) Add me! Let's encourage and cheer each other on! :)
  • Refr_Quicksilver
    Options
    Quit your belly aching.. being in your 40's rocks...
    Oh, except for the grey hair, receding hair line, aches and pains in the joints, inability to quickly shed weight, realizing you havent saved enough for retirement, realizing you are almost 50, ohhh, crap.... what the hell....? You are right,,, this sucks!

I will be 40 in a few months.
    However quoted this guy cuz....would bang

.. BANG BANG baby!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Quit your belly aching.. being in your 40's rocks...
    Oh, except for the grey hair, receding hair line, aches and pains in the joints, inability to quickly shed weight, realizing you havent saved enough for retirement, realizing you are almost 50, ohhh, crap.... what the hell....? You are right,,, this sucks!

I will be 40 in a few months.
    However quoted this guy cuz....would bang

.. BANG BANG baby!

lol, nice work Mr:flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,981 Member
    Options
    The 50s are great!! I've gotten fit and gone to grad school! I've learned to dance and do zumba! I'm eating healthier (and better) than ever! I never could do push ups until I was in my fifties! And my gray hair is pretty! :drinker:

Welcome to a wonderful world.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    41 here and I noticed that metabolism has definitely slowed down. If I worked out as hard as I do now, when I was in my 20 or 30's the weight would be flying off me. Nope not now. With that said I feel great and that is what is important. Thanks to Advocare!!!!
  • debbk123
    debbk123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyaglia and I'm full blown menopausal and 45!
    BUT I'm trying to stay positive and get my weight under control.
    I would love to have someone who has been successful in their weight loss so far and wants to keep going.
    I need good advice that worked for you etc. I'm so sick and tired of naturally skinny people
    telling me what I need to do. You know the ones that can eat and eat and never gain a pound.
    The ones who lose 5 lbs just by doing housework on a Saturday. Yup we all have those friends.
    Add me if you want a weight loss buddy!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amanda6564
    amanda6564 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not over 40. I am 24, but I definitely am not doing this just to be america's next top model. I am here because of health problems and a slow metabolism as well. My nutritionist put me on a high protein diet because it kick starts your metabolism. I would ask your doctor about it.

Add me if you like.
  • MidnightDave
    MidnightDave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is long, read last sentence if nothing else. I'm slow dancing with 54 and keep saying in my 20s and early 30s, didn't even try, by my 40s the rude awakening had occurred, (slower metabolism, joints that can't take the heavy weights, longer recovery time, more potential/realized injuries), and so I had to work at it, in my 50s, REALLY have to work at it. I used to be lean, then turned into looking like a grape with toothpick arms and legs, and now working on all of it. If you want it bad enough you'll make it happen. I'm in a R.I.P.P.E.D. challenge, (I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just mention it, it could be an anything challenge, even with yourself, just saying setting these goals with public accountability works), back on topic, not torturing myself over it, just a motivator, and will post a pic when it's over. Do I look like I did at half my age, of course not, do I look pretty good for my age, time and that pic will tell. A few tips, abs really are made in the kitchen, think about Zumba over running, don't beat yourself up if you slip up, don't compare yourself to yourself at half your age or to anybody else at any age, they're not you. Also, lower weight, higher reps, and ladies, PLEASE do some resistance training, it's so important. Finally, accept your body type and make the best of it--I'll never be the Hulk, just don't have it in me, literally, my wife is not built for speed, so she's going after curvy, work with what you have and remember, your most important muscles are the ones that turn up the corners of your mouth. Everybody looks better with a smile.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and I have a lot of health problems. I started getting better around November though, joined here in March. My ticker is a reflects my progress since October/November not March. But, anyway lots of issues and those issues are no excuse to not walk and try to be more fit. In fact those issues are very good reasons to eat better and move more.
  • catheyt
    catheyt Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there! I can totally relate. I'm 51 and quit smoking in Jan. and I'm in menopause...My weight has sky rocketed...I have decided, as wtih quitting smoking after 38 years that I can do this to. I will try and log every day and be as supportive as possible ;) Feel free to add me as well ;)
  • SkinTightDenims
    Options
    Just turned 43 here. Rheumatoid arthritis since age 2, now recently diagnosed with Lupus. Let's talk about aches & pains!

If you have a slow metabolism, find ways to boost it. Do some research online. We live in an age when any information you could possibly want is right at your fingertips.

It's been proven that the more you get up and move, the fewer aches and pains you'll have. If you think you can't ever exercise (no time to go to the gym, home equipment too expensive, weather too nasty, and on and on and on), park at the back of the lot and WALK into the store, bank, office building, wherever. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. In fact, climb the stairs up and down a couple of times on lunch break. Go to the mall and walk (that's all free!)

Lamenting about age and aches and pains isn't going to get you there. I know, this is tough love my sister. But we're all right with you. Stick with it, don't accept any excuses from yourself, and you'll look better in your 50's than some women look in their 30's!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I am 49 for a few more seconds. Add me if you want.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism does not slow down that much as you age - what does slow down is you. As we get older we move less and do less exercise. You need to make a conscious decision to move more and also should do some resistance training to keep your LBM so your metabolism does not slow down (the slow down in metabolism is linked to the loss of LBM as you age).
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. I don't subscribe to the "I can't lose weight due to menopause" mentality. It's nothing but an excuse.

The more active you become, the more you kick start your metabolism. The faster your metabolism, the more calories you burn by simply existing.

Also the more active you are, the less you will ache. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true. Also the more weight you lose, the less your body will hurt.

WALK. WALK. WALK!!! Walk five miles a day at a decent pace. Start with one mile and build your speed and endurance over a couple of months. Get someone to walk with you if you'd prefer. I burned 658 calories today in 85 minutes of yoga and power walking (4.5 mph, the humidity gets me this time of the year or I'd be doing 12 minute miles).

Take pilates classes. Great low/no impact strength training in a supportive atmosphere. While you're at it, take a yoga class every week to increase your flexibility.

Take an honest look at your diet. Get rid of the crap. Soda, candy, pastries, bagels, anything without good nutritional value goes buh-bye.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Don't use your age as an excuse--just get on with how you want to live. Eat well, sleep well, move your body. Things will improve if you are consistently doing the right stuff.

I'm 42 and have PCOS and could find a zillion other things to complain about. I've still got more fat to lose, but I'm doing pretty well! You can do this, too.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 years, 5'0" tall and plan to be in the best shape of my life by the time I'm 45. I do Stronglifts 5x5 three times a week, a little cardio here and there and I eat healthy home cooked meals in reasonable portions most of the time. I don't restrict myself when it comes to special occasions nor do I deprive myself of an occasional treat. I stopped counting calories a few weeks back, but believe I get around 1500-1700 a day. Heart disease, diabetes and stroke are common in my family. I refuse to die from any of these if can do something about it. I've seen how these things have affected my family members and I don't want to experience it first hand.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I will be 41 next month and I am also hypthyroid.... Talk about a slow metabolism... Ugghhhh... BTW... anyone can add me if you would like.. I have roughly 90-100 pounds to lose..
  • Lherschfelt
    Lherschfelt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone - I am 44 and I love being in my 40's except for the inability to lose weight. I walk on my lunch hours and exercise on a treadmill on the weekends. I have changed how I eat discovered gluten is not my friend so I stay away from gluten products. If I stop the exercise I gain, no mystery there, but if I continue to exercise I do not lose any weight :grumble: - more than a little frustrating. Solution is increase exercise, I get it, but I am so uninspired and bored with my current routine and a little lonely. I try to do things that are free because I don't have the extra funds and I am cheap. I am willing cave and spend a few $.

Does anyone have an exercise routine they love? I am looking for some new ideas to inspire.

Warmest regards