Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Just smile & nod
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    There are some VERY Un-Healthy stuff brewing under those good looking exteriors and time will be the judge of it. 5/10/15/20 yrs from now when the joint problems from all the crazy exercise routines and running, cancers from all the heavy meat and protein eating, and ailments from all the other crazy diets start rolling in, people will say, "But I'm skinny or my bmi is right..."

3663e2744e3efc07c9ce7d0a780ffc9c.jpg

I love you!! This made my day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think the same sometimes when I see diaries consistently full of over processed crap food and sweets etc. But that's because I aim for clean eating 80% of the time and avoid high sugar stuff and sweetners etc because that works for me. I've done hitting the calorie goals with a ton of carby processed foods and I lost nothing. If it works for them great, it doesn't work for me but it's made me better at logging my bad days and tracking them within the context of everything else so I can make up the damage, so to speak.

You're entitled to your opinion though, and if other people think you're being judgey then they are entitled to that opinion too but it's friday lets all just be nice!!!!
  • Kamesha1978
    Kamesha1978 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It takes some people longer to understand what health is. It's an action and a lifestyle
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hitting your macros and calorie goals IS eating healthy. Individual food choices are irrelevant. If I can hit my goals eating home made food or Wendy's food, there's no difference from a health perspective.

THIS statement alone shows the Ignorance about Nutrition. There is an assumption that "Macros" actually matter. What matters most are the MicroNutrients and Phytochems, and they are no where to be found here. Like as if there is such a real bodily need for something loosely named "protein".

Homerbushes.gif

But as far as the OP, I generally eat pretty healthy but have definitely had days where I was just too tired to actually cook or had wanted pizza for a week and indulged. For me, part of the process is figuring out how much I'm actually eating even when I'm not eating "well."

I guess to reiterate what most have already said, people have different goals, different ideas of what constitutes healthy intake, different reasons for using this site.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Yes, you're missing something.

Not everyone has the same goal you do. Some people just want to lose weight, so coming in under their calorie goal is all that matters. Worry about your own goal.

You should learn to read. Third post down from the start I replied.(read it) The post you replied about was about somebody claiming I'm judging people.

Your also missing that most people have nothing ever constructive to say, just snarky abusive comments. Oh well!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It might not exactly be answering the question you were asking, but looking at your diary I would say you definitely are missing something. I see a ton of meat, a few bits of fruit and a tiny amount of salad. I would say you are missing a load of nutrients and fibre and need to eat a wider range of foods. You might not be eating crap but you could do with a lot more vegetables, nuts, seeds, wholegrains etc. I'm not trying to be judgemental but you said you joined the site for support and that you "want somebody to tell me your eating the wrong crap" so there you are. You don't have to eat bad food to have a poor diet. I'm guessing you're packing in the protein to try and build muscle but your insides must be doing horrible things! :wink:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Sugar and the like:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
    Actually pretty irrelevent if you're already heathly.
    A meta-analysis and systematic review also supported these findings and concluded that the effects on health markers were dependent on their initial values. Low glycemic load diets are good for your health if you’re initially unhealthy (like obese or diabetic), but in healthy populations there was no effect. This is an example of a ceiling effect. You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.
    ----
    If you’re lean, watch your diet and are physically active, it’s safe to say you belong in the healthy category and the glycemic load of your diet has no considerable effect on your health.

Saturated fats:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_truth_about_saturated_fat
    I haven't read most of that page, just came up on google, but it does reference some studies etc.
    This is the first benefit listed of six:
    Saturated fats positively affect hormonal function. To be more specific, free Testosterone levels tend to be higher in those who include saturated fats in their diet. Free Testosterone should be a big deal to you, as it helps with muscle growth, tissue repair, immune system strength, and your sexual function.

No, I will NOT feel guilty about eating food I like on occasion.
    Generally I get enough micro-nutrients overall I reckon.

From my above quote:
    You can’t fix what isn’t broken, so if you’re already healthy, eating ‘healthy’ foods at some point stops making you even healthier.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Start a new thread that says, "all my friends suck, I need new friends"..... Oh, wait.....
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The way I work it is that healthy food usually has more fibre/protein and potentially less calories (as well as more nutrients, your metabolism won't work without b vits and minerals to act as cofactors) than crap. I can meet my high protein, high fibre, high nutrient (had a baby, lost a lot of blood so rebuilding) needs easily by making healthy choices and there is room for me to have slightly less healthy items in moderation too.

When I'm getting nutrition on all levels I'm actually struggling to get enough volume into me so I have to have something a bit indulgent (homemade cookies usually) to bump my calories up.

Whilst I like salad, I certainly don't live off of it! For me choosing whole grain seeded bread over white, whole wheat pasta (or even better, quinoa) over white pasta/rice etc is so filling I have reasonable sized portions for my size and get all the goodness to. I like a lot of raw foods too, so snack on a handful of raw and unsalted nuts rather than a bar of chocolate. It's about making your diet sustainable, if your not getting nutrition on all levels it's not as sustainable long term as you will start to become unwell at some point.

If your looking for inspiration then look for a group of healthy eaters? Like previously said, everyone has their own agenda and without knowing all the facts/circumstances (perhaps they are pre diet and logging to get a realistic view of what their current diet is actually like?) it's not approptriate to judge individuals.

I never passed judgement. Just questioned the motive of logging in junk food. That's it. A question of interest. I could eat French fries and soda all day long. With some excersise I could be under my calorie quota. Is that what this website is about. The name alone has fitness. So that was my question. Are we looking for fitness pals? I guess not everybody is. But to each their own. No big deal. That's why the headline is "am I missing something "
    Michael Phelps eats McDonalds pretty much daily. I'd say whether someone eats fast food or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether they are fit or not.