Where are all the vegans/vegetarians?

Options
lilalief
lilalief Posts: 76 Member
Hi everyone!

Are there any other MFP members that are vegan or vegetarian? I'm really interested in becoming your buddy :)

Thanks!

PS. I'm a vegan ;)

EDIT: Why did you become a vegan/vegetarian? (just interested :))

Replies

• ShannonB06
    ShannonB06 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm pescatarian. I do fish and eggs but not dairy.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm here !!
  • lilalief
    Options
    @ShannonB06: Good for you!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I"m a veg head - feel free, any of my fellow veggies, to add me :)
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    I'll send you a request - I'm a veggie :)
  • lilalief
    Options
    so stoked to get more vegan/veggie buddies! Thanks !
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    here, ish. i eat fish and seafood rarelly and no eggs or milk
  • vikdubbs
    vikdubbs Posts: 13
    Options
    Hello,

I am a vegetarian and have been for about 21 years now. I don't eat fish or chicken or really anything that had a face and could move around. I think it was a postpartum thing for me..... about 3 months after my oldest son was born I was really grossed out while cooking hamburger for spaghetti sauce and have not been able to meat since. I was a vegan for 3 months about 11 years ago but couldn't give up cheese and mayo (wish I could have) so I continue to eat some animal products in that form. I didn't touch eggs for over 10 years but my husband has convinced to eat them so I have a healthy source of protein.

It seems any "weight loss" program out there is designed for non-vegetarian/vegan's and I have had a challenge with that. I don't want to run to soy products all the time but seem faced with that or beans for a source a protein - or I lack in protein. Do you have any tips?

Viktoria
  • lilalief
    Options
    Hello,

I am a vegetarian and have been for about 21 years now. I don't eat fish or chicken or really anything that had a face and could move around. I think it was a postpartum thing for me..... about 3 months after my oldest son was born I was really grossed out while cooking hamburger for spaghetti sauce and have not been able to meat since. I was a vegan for 3 months about 11 years ago but couldn't give up cheese and mayo (wish I could have) so I continue to eat some animal products in that form. I didn't touch eggs for over 10 years but my husband has convinced to eat them so I have a healthy source of protein.

It seems any "weight loss" program out there is designed for non-vegetarian/vegan's and I have had a challenge with that. I don't want to run to soy products all the time but seem faced with that or beans for a source a protein - or I lack in protein. Do you have any tips?

Viktoria

Hey viktoria. this is exactly why I asked the vegetarians/vegans to come out here! Some of us can definitely use some support or help! I'll send you a private message.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i need to admit, i really get jealous of meat eaters being able to go anywhere and eat anything whereas we have to be super flexible and just realize we probably won't be eating something enjoyable (in public...like at restaurants or in workplace meetings etc). And still meat eaters complain when the food is not perfect for them, and yet I'm happy if there is something I can actually eat on the menu (or buffet line). and I often feel that this isn't fair (I mean, its fair, but I still raise my fist to the heavens in anger)....like yesterday we had a team lunch....and there was a lott of veggie stuff, but most of it was in the same tray as the meet....for ex:

(1) salad (mostly what I ate)
    (2) steamed spinach (again, it was this and the salad)
    (3) they gave me a side morningstar griller (happy about that...it made the meal servicable).
    (4) roast beef, w/ a side of fries and mushrooms/onions, all in the same huge tray
    (5) grilled lemon salmon w/ gorgeous garlic kale, again all in the same tray
    (6) some sort of chicken w/ asparagus and brown rice, all in the same tray
    (7) there was a starch which I don't remember..maybe roasted potatoes (I'm not eating much these days)
    (8) fancy breads w/ butter (mostly what I would hv filled up on in years past, but don't eat this calorie dense garbage anymore)
    (9) huge tray of fancy fruits (ok, this is good, but I'm trying low sugar...no complaints here)
    (10) huge tray of fancy cookies, and a platter of cakes (red velevet and carrot I think)....no complaints, but since I can't eat most of the above, I woulda filled up here too to make up for my hunger and envy...and yadda yadda yadda, I'm fat!!

and this was for just 10 people, so I don't understand why they get 3 main dishes w/ sides and they can't just keep the sides seperate (I guess our company chef just has his way of doing it) and all I get is the salad, spinach and a morningstar. So, no one's fault, but it just seems so unfair in the scheme of it.
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm an almost vegan. I only eat a few eggs eat week and only ever from our own chickens, I don't eat meat, fish or dairy. I tell people I'm vegan though otherwise I get dished up cheese, cheese and more cheese!

I have numerous food allergies as a result of tummy problems so I can't eat soy or anything starchy like potatoes, and I react to lots of cereals and pulses including corn, rice, most flours and lentils.

It is really really hard to get a balanced diet with the allergies, and it's really hard to loose weight when, as said, most, if not all, diet plans are geared towards meat eaters. I'm delighted there are so any vegetarians/vegans on here!

Edited to add was a vegetarian for 19 years before turning vegan (ish) 5 years ago when dairy allergy finally pinned down.
  • Surfinglil
    Surfinglil Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello there! I am a pescaterian (do you write this way?) I'm also looking for vegan/veggie mates here. I need to lose 9/10 kg, which is about 20 pounds.I need inspiration knowing that I'm a poor French student getting ready for the summer. I'll be working in a campsite in the south west of france in a weeks time and I know I'll be tempted by all the cocktails while partying on the beach, haha. Please add me as a friend! X
    ps: I live in a very meaty country- France is full of meat, cheese and wine, there are pratically NO veggie restaurants (maybe a very few in paris) and that's also why I eat fish. When I'm out at friend's or at restaurants I have no other choice than to have a fishy dish if I want to avoid meat! Crazyyy French restaurateurs!
  • WB43
    WB43 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian! Eat eggs, milk, cheese, but no fish or meat. I'm 30 and started when I was about 12 or so. I've been carb and dairy loading for years and have gained the weight to prove it. I need to start focusing on the veggies a bit more. My husband is a hard core meat eater and HATES vegetables, so I always load them with butter and cheese so he'll eat veggies with me. (I also have two toddlers who are not exactly thrilled about vegetables) If anyone has any yummy recipe ideas for vegetables for someone who isn't a huge vegetable fan, please pass them on!! I like almost anything but don't want to cook three different meals a night!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan (and have been for 4 years now!) anyone is welcome to add me :)
    (Vegan for moral reasons- although I love learning about the benefits of veganism and i'm always interested in eating as much raw as I can)
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!

I became vegan because I felt uncomfortable killing someone so I wouldn't be hungry for a few hours.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian since 1995! Anyone can feel free to add me!
  • AndreannaTamira
    Options
    I am what I call a vegan leaning vegetarian. Like th3stral (cool name there) I only eat eggs where I am sure the chickens are very well treated. In my case that does not mean own eggs, though, but eggs from two chickens I know by name and get to meet every few months. (so I really live vegan 99 percent of the time).

I am still trying to figure out how to get all the iron and calcium on a vegan diet without having to use supplements (but protein is barely a problem, why do people think it is protein that we don't get?) . I owuld like to only supplement B12.

Anybody, feel free to add me. :)
  • corinneallene
    corinneallene Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have been since I was 12! (currently 18)
    I loved animals when I was little and remember being about 3 and having a discussion with my mom about wanting to be a vegetarian! haha. Of course at that age I was too young to make that kind of decision for myself and act upon it. So once I was a little older I was able to make the change and now it's just who I am :)
    Considering becoming vegan one day. I eat like one a lot of the time anyway!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    We have segregated groups:). I belong to team vegan and vegan bodybuilders. If you do a search you may find more:)

I don't really want to say why in a vegetarian, it's a sensitive topic:)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Another pescetarian here! I eat minimal dairy (yogurt only, really) and do still eat egg whites - for health reasons. I went lacto-ovo vegetarian about 13 years ago in high school for ethical reasons when I was old enough to make my own food unsupervised. However, I had zero nutrition knowledge and when I decided to become vegan I got pretty sick and anemic. I added some dairy and eggs back in. Then in my sophomore year of college, I dated a guy who was a very stubborn eater, and I was so eager to please that I just decided it was easier and less confrontational to eat meat again. I did so for 3 and a half years while I dated that jerk (to be clear- he wasn't a jerk because he ate meat; he was a jerk for a laundry list of other reasons). As soon as the relationship was over, I went back to lacto-ovo vegetarian status. I added in fish a year later for health reasons. Then I started dating my fiancé (who will eat anything but broccoli and cauliflower) and every once in awhile I ate meat (mostly fish or chicken) with him. We go to his family's house for Christmas every year (my family's Jewish, so we don't have to swap) and I used to eat the filet mignon they served. Every time I ate it I quickly got ill though, and it certainly wasn't her cooking! I've realized I just can't handle that much protein in one meal.

More importantly, I had to have a physical before entering my nursing school program. I had blood work done and my cholesterol was borderline high, particularly for a 28 year old (LDL was high, but so was HDL - overall wasn't terrible). I ate whatever I wanted for the most part, and didn't watch nutrition much. After the lab results, I decided to go pescetarian for the health benefits of the omega-3's and good dietary cholesterol from fish. I don't eat shellfish, though, since they have higher levels of cholesterol and lower healthy fats. I started running and doing hot yoga in December to help lower my cholesterol too. Follow up is in July, and I'm hoping for good results!

I love cooking and sharing recipes, and I can't think of many vegetables I dislike (except okra, I just haven't gotten that one down).