Where are all the vegans/vegetarians?

Options

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan :) Feel free to join our group... Happy Herbivores in the group tab :)
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi love! I'm a pescatarian; trying to limit dairy/eggs intake. I ♥ vegans! I hope to get there one day!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

It seems any "weight loss" program out there is designed for non-vegetarian/vegan's and I have had a challenge with that. I don't want to run to soy products all the time but seem faced with that or beans for a source a protein - or I lack in protein. Do you have any tips?

Viktoria

This, there seems to be no diet plans for vegetarians and I can't really alter non-veg ones to fit because they always say "have 4oz of chicken"....okay....no. I know Happy Herbivores is coming with a new weightloss book but not till december
  • MzFyreKitty
    MzFyreKitty Posts: 93
    Options
    Vegetarian for years and recently became Vegan.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Transitioning vegetarian here. I guess I choose to go this way to many reasons. But if I am alive not eating meat, is it really that necessary to health? I don't think so, cooking meat to me always seemed like a chore, it was the least favorite thing on my plate.
  • jillsjourney
    jillsjourney Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am a transitioning vegetarian. I eat very little fish and I do eat dairy and cheese but nothing else. I am having the same hard time as everyone else trying to lose weight and get enough protein without meat. Does anyone have any tips on how to get more protein without protein shakes?
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    Vegan(by choice) and gluten free(by necessity)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vaggie here, changed my diet in 2001 so it's been a while. Fell into the classic trap of too much cheese (how could I say that, you can never have enough cheese.... :bigsmile: ) and too much in the way of carbs. Trying to transition those macros so there is a LOT more protein and fat in there!!

Would be nice to have some fellow vegetarians/vegans add me, always looking for ideas :)

ETA: Became vegetarian in a snap decision (via my grandad joking about eating little lambs) - I couldn't stand the idea of taking a life to fuel my own (although I am currently planning on baking my damned cat who is scratching up the sofa....). So I'm here on moral grounds. Recently I tried a bit of meat (I get curious sometimes - all this about how awesome meat is etc, I can't remember what it tastes like!) and found it utterly repulsive, all fatty and yeugh, so I guess that's there too xD
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like to consider myself a vegetarion because meat is extremely rare in my diet. Maybe a few times a year I'll eat a sloppy Joe or a taco, but that'll be it. I became a vegetarian because I just don't like the taste of meat. I also don't like the texture or how it feels in my mouth. I'm sure that sounds goofy.

Anyone who wants to be my friend is more than welcome to send me a request.
  • ladyofthelakeontario
    ladyofthelakeontario Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat in January for health reasons. It worked so well for me that I'm continuing.
  • amitglinkedin
    amitglinkedin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian since birth...feel free to add me..
  • bloodraynegatito
    bloodraynegatito Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    vegan for 6 months. due to watching earthlings.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Pescetarian here! Hopefully will be back to veggie in two months time when I move back to the UK.

Reason for being veggie? Growing up in Asian countries where there is no option of denial as to where your steak or chicken breast comes from. My mum used to leave me to watch the chickens being beheaded and plucked, not specifically to traumatise me, but just to wait for the finished chicken while she completed the rest of the shopping. Every day on the way to work in Yemen I drive past a camel butcher where there are sweet baby camels, goats and calves in the morning, and heads/necks on hooks in the evening...pretty tough to remain a meat eater with sights like that every day! Especially when you're a big animal-loving softy.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the transition stage. Very new to me. Would love the support if anyone wants to add me. I'm currently more pescatarian. Still have eggs and fish in my diet. Am currently working on transitioning out the dairy. This is HUGE for me. I am an absolute lover of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Any good vegan substitutes? Also trying to limit my wheat, rye and barley, so it's all a balancing act. :)

My one big drawback to trying this was that I was afraid that I wouldn't get enough protein and wouldn't have energy to do my workouts. I found when going very very low-carb and high fat (meat), it took my energy. I got "meated out" and starte thinking about where the slab of red meat came from! However, I have much more energy eating this way and am able to rock my workouts.
  • SmurphyKU
    SmurphyKU Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 8 years now! I'm a huge animal lover, and at the time I turned vegetarian for moral reasons. Now I also do it for health reasons. Stuffing an animal with antibiotics to promote growth seems so gross and unnatural to me!

Anyway, anyone feel free to add me! :) I'm always looking for motivation and new vegetarian/vegan food ideas! :)
  • rsaree
    rsaree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian/mainly vegetarian. I eat fish because I LOVE sushi & could not seem to give it up, but I try to limit my intake. I am trying to shift my focus to healthier, dairy-free/dairy-light options with more protien, and I would be grateful to learn any recipes y'all may use.

I am not new to "MyFitnessPal," but I've been on a lengthy hiatus & am glad to be back. Let's get healthy!
  • rsaree
    rsaree Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Frisbee Mom:
    Are you familiar with Nutritional Yeast? It's a great substitue for cheese in recipes that call for sprinkled, shredded cheese (Eg: pizza, lasagna, ect) check it out! It's a little strange at first, but tastes great, and it's good for you!
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. It mainly started out as a bet and it has just kind of stuck. I'm not a vegetarian for moral reasons, mainly I just don't like the taste of meat and it makes me sick to eat it. I was a vegetarian for 4 years until I met my husband who will eat just about anything (he made me steak on our second date). Two friends made a bet to see who could last the longest being a vegetarian and I have won the bet and still going strong. No turning back this time :)
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Vegan here too! Turned vegetarian about 20 years ago... and gradually said goodbye to dairy and eggs. I've been doing the 5:2 diet (where you have 500 calories two days per week and eat normally the rest) as it's dead easy if you're vegan / vegetarian because you just get to eat your normal foods and cut back a couple of times per week.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian all my life. That is how I was brought up and my entire family is vegetarian.