Father is not happy about my 5K.

Options

Replies

• jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I purposefully did NOT tell my parents about my 5k, because i knew they would have a similar reaction.....it's sad.....but good to gauge what people's reactions will be before you decide to talk about it or not.

I walked the 5k (a Color Run....i highly recommend it!), I only told people on MFP about it - because i knew everyone on here would be super supportive. I had one friend join me there, but......was fine without the unwanted "support/advice" from my parents.

Do what is right for YOU!
  • lizzane
    lizzane Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My dad also tells me "stop exercising too much you're gonna hurt yourself"
    I know he's saying it in a protective way but I keep going because I know I can :D
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The only family issue I have is that my mother who is 69 (70 in June) can run a 5k & I can’t :-(. But that’s ok, my goal is to run one w/her, so that’s what I am going to do.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The only family issue I have is that my mother who is 69 (70 in June) can run a 5k & I can’t :-(. But that’s ok, my goal is to run one w/her, so that’s what I am going to do.
    Your mother is boss! You gotta keep up!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Ask him to walk it with you.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My dad reacted the same way when I did my first half-marathon. Do it just to show him you can :-)
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Called my dad to tell him I am going to do a 5K and he got mad insisting I am going to cramp up, faint or (insert other horrible thing here).

I am 25 years old I have been working out pretty regularly since January and I've lost 12 pounds. I am currently 227 pounds and I know that most of the people there will probably be in a lot better shape then me but I think I am ready! I signed up to walk it, I'm not much or a runner yet.

Anyone else ever run into family issue with your fitness?

Yes and funny that it should be my father as well. I told him I bought a road bike because I've discovered that I enjoy cycling to which he immediately said, "I don't think that's such a good idea. You are supposed to do interval training and .... blah .... blah .... blah." I would have thought instead he would be encouraging. Some people are just naysayers - you're wrong no matter what. Here is my 0.02 cents worth: If you want to do it, just please do it carefully and listen to your body at every step of the challenge. If you are getting strong indicators (other than the mental game) that you should rest, please do so. It is possible to inflict cardiovascular damage by not paying attention to these signs and I want to see you with 75 more healthy years on this planet. :-)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Go do your 5K and don't worry about it. He may just be worried about you. He may be an asshat. Only you know but it shouldn't matter one way or the other. Good luck!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    well, you're brave in many ways and considering what your dad has to say is good, because he is your dad, but it's your choice baby! If you don't feel well during the run, there's no law that says you can't walk or even rest! Good luck!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Called my dad to tell him I am going to do a 5K and he got mad insisting I am going to cramp up, faint or (insert other horrible thing here).

I am 25 years old I have been working out pretty regularly since January and I've lost 12 pounds. I am currently 227 pounds and I know that most of the people there will probably be in a lot better shape then me but I think I am ready! I signed up to walk it, I'm not much or a runner yet.

My fist 5k had women of all ages and ALL sizes - and I mean ALL sizes. Everyone had a great time and everyone is friendly and supportive in my experience (runners are like that) so i say do it and have a blast!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Oh for crying out loud. It's 3.1 miles, not an ultra-marathon. You can leisurely walk it in well under an hour.

Don't even mention it again until after the race, and then proudly tell him how well you did.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm 250lbs and can walk 10 miles (16k) in one go with no problem whatsoever. I do 5k on a daily basis just dog walking - it's barely a stroll.

As for running. I'd also give a thumbs up for the Couch to 5k. Whilst I could walk all day long, I couldn't run too far but I've found that C25K really builds up the stamina.

I'd just nod and smile at your Dad if I were you.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Sometimes families suck at giving encouragement. I stopped telling my family personal stuff about the age of 27. In their effort to be protective they were very VERY discouraging.

Just don't tell them.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.

I've never seen a race that allows a walker. Most specifically refuse walkers and canes. Some fun walks allow them, but races? Not that I've ever seen.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You should tell your father whatI told mine..... Oh wait, wasn't there hehehe.

I would usually tell my mother something I did after I've done it... Run a marathon, sky dive, Run to vegas and get married, have three kids...

That way she cannot talk me out of anything.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    that she is. I am getting there though, so soon we can do it together.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like him being protective.. <3

My Mom doesn't want me to sign up for ANY race because of what happened in Boston =/
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Ask him to walk it with you.

^^^ This
    Great way to spend quality time and it's over before you know it.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I first began to run tons of people warned me about all the bad things that were going to happen: arthritis [the connection between running and arthritis shows running HELPs the joints], getting too thin, overdoing it....blah, blah, blah. I've run 30 marathons and many shorter races and they have only brought me joy.

It's interesting these same people usually don't warn you off TV, or overeating or many other real dangers.

Run---take your power [and a good pair of shoes] and run---who knows one day dad may run with you.

I do advise that when you practice you run on a soft surface such as grass, dirt or even asphalt but never cement. Also, if you are really heavy for your frame do some of your running in a pool to take the weight off.

Go girl!