Replies

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    wow protective much ... its only 3 miles lol
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever run into family issue with your fitness?

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.

I've never seen a race that allows a walker. Most specifically refuse walkers and canes. Some fun walks allow them, but races? Not that I've ever seen.

Just did the Cleveland Marathon, and was alongside a lady with a walker in the 10K walking division, I cramped up and slowed down, she blew right past me and many others. I highly doubt that you can 'exclude' anyone if they can keep the pace and sign the waiver.

I've seen many people of varying skill levels at my races, and the larger ones usually have corrals or waves, so people start at different times--so the walking folks would be in the back anyway ;) I did a half marathon last weekend and saw an elderly woman walking along with a metal cart holding her oxygen tank. That was pretty impressive!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry i dont get how this is a family issues?

you're 25 and an adult. nothing is an issue unless you make it one. just because your dad has an issue with it, doesnt mean you have to make an issue for you. i dont understand why adults need approval from their parents to do things especially if they arent paying for it or especially since you no longer need notes of permission from them

live your own life. your dad will get over it once you get over it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K Turkey trot on Thanksgiving Day 2012. Walked. Did no exercise at all until about 6 weeks before the 5K. I am 61 years old. Tell your father not to worry. Go at your own pace and you will be fine.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    sounds like an over protective dad to me just do it he will be proud once he sees you CAN do it and will stop worrying so much
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.

I've never seen a race that allows a walker. Most specifically refuse walkers and canes. Some fun walks allow them, but races? Not that I've ever seen.

I have muscle spasms secondary to fibromyalgia, and I occasionally use a cane. I've never had any race official tell me I couldn't.

OP, I don't have any advice about your dad's lack of support, but I will tell you this: the day I did my first 5K, I weighed 335 lbs, and I lived to tell about it and have done several since then. As a matter of fact, I'm doing one next week. Don't listen to the naysayers.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Tell your dad that this 47 year old woman, about your weight, runs twice that far in an hour every morning during the summer. lol! Stand your ground, sweetie! Daddy will get over it. :wink:
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    sometimes people are envious of others. maybe he is jealous that he never had the gumption to do something like that? my dad is less then thrilled each time but i just say whatever and go about my business. dont let him get you down. and by the way you can totally do the 5k. i've done four! i think the first two i did i was at your weight. best of luck and have fun!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    i told my dad about how i started going to the gym and lifting weights. then we had a nice long talk about how i shouldn't do steroids. sigh.

:laugh: awesome
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My wife has started to express I am doing too much. I think it's more a matter of she's been putting on weight and isn't happy with how she looks while I am loosing and looking better. I tell her all of the time I think she's beautiful, which I truly do, but I guess it's something she needs to feel for herself.

My other family members are very supportive and are looking forward to my next run. It's going to give me an extra boost to do my best this Sunday....
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your dad. Of course you are right! You will do great in your 5k. Have fun!
    Called my dad to tell him I am going to do a 5K and he got mad insisting I am going to cramp up, faint or (insert other horrible thing here).

I am 25 years old I have been working out pretty regularly since January and I've lost 12 pounds. I am currently 227 pounds and I know that most of the people there will probably be in a lot better shape then me but I think I am ready! I signed up to walk it, I'm not much or a runner yet.

• Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Just did the Cleveland Marathon, and was alongside a lady with a walker in the 10K walking division, I cramped up and slowed down, she blew right past me and many others. I highly doubt that you can 'exclude' anyone if they can keep the pace and sign the waiver.

It has nothing to do with their safety but that of other runners. Even Disney excludes them.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Good for you! There's a lady in my running group who race walks instead of running. I don't know your age, but she's 72 (although you'd never know to look at her!) and she racewalks half marathons and other events. One of the last half marathons I did....she was so fast (and I was pretty slow!) that she racewalked right past me to the finish! Invite your kids to come walk with you!

I speedwalk/powerwalk/racewalk as well, and am faster than may of the joggers in my neighborhood. I also won't have the hip and knee joint problems that many of them will eventually develop. ;)
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    HAHA My father used to worry about the same thing when I used to workout hard and be out of breath. Just reassure him by telling him you won't go too hard, but at a steady pace. He most likely will still worry, because, well, that's what dads are like. :tongue:
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My dad blew a gasket when I went sky diving now he wants to come with me next time probably to tie me down to keep me from doing it lol Its just a 5k
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Your father is probably just worried about you; you're his little girl and he probably doesn't know very much about running. Do your 5K and tell him that you survived just fine.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I started running, my closest friend told me how concerned he was. He thought I was going to have a heart attack and was worried that I was pushing myself too much. I started out at 242lbs.

I tried to tell him that I was doing it properly (I did c25k) and that it was more likely that I would have a heart attack or end up with diabetes (my father died from diabetes complications and my sister has it) if I DIDNT start exercising and running. I knew he was worried about me. We have been friends for so long that most people think we are brother and sister. Even his wife has been asked how she feels when the siblings get together :)

Anyway... to put his mind at rest, I bought a heart rate monitor. I also shared all my c25k training with him so that he could see what I was doing and so that he knew I wasnt trying to kill myself. He watched my training over the entire 8 weeks and both he and his wife came out to watch my first 5km run. They are now my biggest supporters. I'm doing another parkrun tomorrow morning and he and his wife are getting up early and coming out to watch.

To the OP... maybe you need to demonstrate to your Dad how much training you have done and put his mind at rest? I'm guessing that the reason he doesnt want you to do it is because he isnt comfortable with your preparation. Talk him through your training plans and every time you go out to train, let him know what you are doing. It worked for me!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Called my dad to tell him I am going to do a 5K and he got mad insisting I am going to cramp up, faint or (insert other horrible thing here).

I am 25 years old I have been working out pretty regularly since January and I've lost 12 pounds. I am currently 227 pounds and I know that most of the people there will probably be in a lot better shape then me but I think I am ready! I signed up to walk it, I'm not much or a runner yet.

I'm happy about your 5k.

I never run into family issues regarding fitness, except for my mom wanting me to try the newest collodial silver goji berry extract bs.

You do that race, and you race that race's racing face off.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Sadly enough. He can barely walk at all. He has polio, type 2 diabetic, obese, lost a toe and is prone to falling. What I really want to do is try to inspire him to take his health seriously. I am scared that I was going to end up like him (I'd never tell him that) I can only hope that once he sees me doing all these races and such that maybe he will take action for himself. I know there is no guarantee in that but I can hope at least.

I am going to do my 5K it is already paid for, I've been wanting to do it for months and I can do this!!

He will see just what I can do when I come home and show him my race number and my brand new tshirt!

I hadn't see this when i did my last post. My Dad had type 2, was obese, lost his toes from gangrene and then his leg so I can relate.

Honestly... do what I said in the last post. Constantly talk to him about your training, let him see what you are doing, get him as involved as you can so that he supports you, get him excited about your run AND then show him you can do it. You want him to be proud of you, not worried about you.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My grandmother-in-law wanted to give me some M&Ms. I told her I was watching my weight, and she told me that my husband could watch my weight for me, then proceeded to give me the M&Ms anyway.