Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The term is meant to refer to some one who is in the normal bmi range(or lower) for their height, but still has a high BF%. The term does get misused a lot, but I don't think the term itself is bad.

edit: Your rant seems more like your leaning towards the misuse of the term.

^^^ Yep
  • sunny010
    sunny010 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know a guy who is skinny but lives on pop and junk food and is not active at all, goes out drinking, doesn't run or lift weights etc. This guy has mocked other people for being chubby. The chubby people that he looks down on are in fact runners, weight lifters and so on. They are not as thin as this man, but certainly far more fit and vibrant, and in my opinion beautiful. I consider him skinny-fat in that he is in terrible shape in spite of being thin, and oh so proud of being thin.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

^is there a picture like this that shows men's bodies with different bf%??
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    body-fat-percentage-men.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    then what do you propose you call people with normal weights and high body fat levels? It seems you're ranting against something unrelated to the term...

Normal weight obesity is technically correct. Since it is descriptive with clear meanings it does not get used incorrectly. But, do whatever you want. I don't care. I just don't like seeing normal, beautiful girls call themselves that when it's not true at all. Or seeing dingbats calling people it when it's not true. Or seeing people become obsessive.

How is this term any better? "Normal weight obesity" has the word "obese" in it. So according to you, skinny girl with an ED would still be affected by the term.

No she wouldn't. Not if she doesn't meet the definition. That is the whole point of the thread, that the term is used incorrectly. You are not understanding what I am saying (which is fine, I don't really care so much). Skinny girl with an ED would be exactly what you just said. She would be skinny. Not skinny fat. People apply the term skinny fat too widely. Some people are just skinny. Not sure why people add fat in there (when the person has 12% bodyfat). Like now everyone that's skinny is really actually fat. It doesn't make sense in terms of actual logic. Not that I expect anyone to understand that. The term skinny fat has become so pervasive and all inclusive that it's just about impossible to explain to people the distinctions. People have something in their mind and that's that (that has been encouraged by incorrect meme photos that people think represent scientific knowledge).
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I think I look skinny fat, but my caliphered body fat % is hovering around 21%. I had no idea it would be so hard to look good even at what is the ideal weight for my height and frame. And all the "just lift heavy!" shouting on MFP just gets more frustrating. I feel like I'm trying so hard and still look like crap. At least calling myself skinny fat helps vent frustration, haha.
  • luckycharm29
    Options
    This has been a huge eye opener. Currently at 250, was just going to lose weight to a certain amount and then up my exercise / strength training however starting to see it may be best to do cardio/strength training from the get go because I honestly don't want tons of excess skin, that is my biggest concern.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Well.. being new here... I had never heard the term... but reading through the replies, I am starting to think I am on the skinny-fat cusp (if there is one). haha I started at 5'1", only 113.8 pounds, but I had a muffin top! I think my bf% is only about 15% and my bmi is normal, of course (close to underweight, actually) but I never worked out anymore and seriously need to step my game up with the fitness! See, even "skinny *****es" like me need to work on themselves... Don't let terms and categories get you down. You are doing great and deserve to be recognized for that! Besides, those girls who are doing it for the wrong reasons, will never truly be happy with themselves.... they will always find fault with themselves. Much better to continue what you are doing and feel great about it and not bring yourself down because you aren't doing this or that. Good luck continuing in your journey of fitness! :)

I doubt that you have only 15% body fat with a muffin top. 15% is hard to reach for a woman.

This
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    skinny fat may actually refer to people who have a lot of visceral fat.

Yes, and I am one. I have all my fat on my midsection and upper arm. But I have decided not look at the scale anymore. Now it's time for toning/ lowering body fat percentage.:smile:
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Women usually have flat stomach at 20% body fat. Of course to have abs pop out , you need a lower body fat percentage.:smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This thread has taught me that my ideal body shape/look can be obtainedat 30% body fat. Handy.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which makes me cringe more - "skinny fat" or "normal weight obesity" ... whichever term you prefer, it describes me :smile:. I have a normal BMI and a body fat percentage of 32. In my case, I dislike the term, but it is not misused.

I get that this is a real thing, as many posters are saying. I think what bothers me most is the way it gets slung around as an insult. A lot of people who are "skinny fat" probably worked very hard to get there, and may be proud of their appearance and quite comfortable. They may even have great cardiovascular health but an abnormally low amount of musculature. I'm not sure that calling them skinny fat is particularly helpful.

Also, regarding when the term IS misused:

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
    Neither of these people are "skinny fat", but I bet the guy in the second photo gets called it (though really he's just skinny)... simply for not having the muscles that some would prefer him to have.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There's lots of terminology on the site that's subjective in definition. Most use the work "bulky" in the wrong context as well as "toned" as a description of body look when there is no real definition for it at all.
    The way I deem someone "skinny fat" is to ask them to flex their arm or leg. If I push and it feels like jello, then chances are they lack any conditioned muscle or still have a lot of fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RedHeadMoo
    RedHeadMoo Posts: 11
    Options
    "A lot of people do not apply common sense to the use of the term"

as with every term in the history of the dictionary. Just sayin'

I don't actually find any of those women posted "skinny fat".

Skinny fat is when someone who appears thin with clothes on but looks like jello or really squishy naked or in a bathing suit. All over. Like back fat etc but they generally have a squishy look to their entire frame.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you have a low bodyfat% and you're toned, then you're not "skinny fat." Lifting isn't always required to have tone.

"Skinny fat" to me is someone who just gets down to a specific number (weight, BMI, whatever) without bothering to obtain a decent body fat percentage and lean muscle mass.

^ Hi, I would love to know about what you are saying. :) I come in peace.

I have always been VERY SKINNY (please do not hate). I was super athletic.
    They I got much older and very sick...Not, never had an eating disorder.

I am now to some skinny fat. (I think??)

How do you change it?

I am not young like the rest of you. So I could be skinny fat forever! :sad:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you have a low bodyfat% and you're toned, then you're not "skinny fat." Lifting isn't always required to have tone.

"Skinny fat" to me is someone who just gets down to a specific number (weight, BMI, whatever) without bothering to obtain a decent body fat percentage and lean muscle mass.

^ Hi, I would love to know about what you are saying. :) I come in peace.

I have always been VERY SKINNY (please do not hate). I was super athletic.
    They I got much older and very sick...Not, never had an eating disorder.

I am now to some skinny fat. (I think??)

How do you change it?

I am not young like the rest of you. So I could be skinny fat forever! :sad:

I think lifting heavy weights.

Eating at a deficit that is enough to lose mostly fat, but not a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) that would cause more muscle loss.

If your weight is very low, some people do bulking and cutting to increase muscle mass, but it involves a very good, consistent heavy lifting program (compound lifts), with good form and progressive overload.

That's all I know. I don't know that much about it. Eat, Train, Progress is a good group to learn from.

Hey Everyone, thanks for all your comments and conversation. I'm not the OP, but I have learned and thought about various things from the conversation. :flowerforyou:
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Right on the money