Do you eat before or after you exercise?

Options
I usually eat after I exercise and heard you should eat something before. Last week I tried something before and
got sick to my stomach. Maybe I ate the wrong thing I don't know.

BEFORE OR AFTER?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. I don't, my wife does. Either way is fine
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Whichever allows you to get the most from your workout.

For me it's both.

But I'm always eating.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Both. You need to eat before, but you shouldn't have a full meal closer than an hour from the exercise. You can work out on an empty stomach, but you might run out of steam depending on the duration and intensity of your activity.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about an hour before working out and then I do a post work out shake and apple right afterwards.

I need the energy to push through my work outs =)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after I exercise and heard you should eat something before. Last week I tried something before and
    got sick to my stomach. Maybe I ate the wrong thing I don't know.

BEFORE OR AFTER?

Before and after.

But before would be at least an hour if not more before. If you eat too close to your training, you can feel sick.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I eat after... I workout at 6 am.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Maybe my problem was I ate right before.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is totally personal preference, I myself eating before... I also have type 2 diabetes so there is no way I am exercising fasted unless I want to be drooling into the carpet before the end of my workout... (speaking from experience here lol) but seriously do what works best for you....... :drinker:

Post workout I usually do a 1/2 cup of almonds and a glass of 1% chocolate milk.....
  • america_c
    america_c Posts: 60
    Options
    I do both. The before is usually mixed nuts at least 30 mins before and some fruit rifgt afterwards if it's cardio or protein shake if it's some sort of lifting.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    both, I typically have dinner at 6:30, go to the gym at 7:30 and then have my post workout smoothie at 9:00 when I get home. If I have too much of a break between dinner and workout because I have eaten earlier or gone to the gym later I have some PB or a protein before I go.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I follow LeanGains and StrongLifts 5x5 and I lift at 5am or 6am... so I do IF with the 30g of BCAAs in the morning. LOVE IT! It really fits my lifestyle better.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is what I do: Before lifting weights- 1 hour before, protein; while I am walking into the gym, bannana or apple. After weights, protein shake, then eggs....

Before cardio: Apple about 15 minutes before, bananna at start of run.

Basically I try to avoid spiking my insulin.

Have fun.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    That is the problem. One time I tried rushing it and exercise half an hour from a meal, it made me feel miserable. I can easily imagine getting sick when I exercise right after a full meal.

Also, unless you ingest plain sugar, the food you eat is not available for energy until about an hour anyway. Sugar is available for use in about 15 minutes.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I eat something high in protein about an hour before working out (200-300 calories). Eating too close to working out can cause an upset stomach. Then I eat something else within an hour of working out, again high in protein (200-300 calories). The second meal I eat is low in fat because supposedly fat it more readily absorbed into the system than protein.
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That is the problem. One time I tried rushing it and exercise half an hour from a meal, it made me feel miserable. I can easily imagine getting sick when I exercise right after a full meal.

Also, unless you ingest plain sugar, the food you eat is not available for energy until about an hour anyway. Sugar is available for use in about 15 minutes.
    I ate a cheesy egg thing about 15 minutes before walking and 30 minutes into my walk I got sick to my stomach.
    Not fun.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Both before and after.

However, if I eat before, I have to have at least 30 minutes (or ideally 1 hour) before my workout. I once ate *just* before my workout and about hurled on the gym floor. :blushing:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Definitely before....I feel nauseous if I don't.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning.

I eat a 250 cal muffin sandwich about 45 mins before I work out.
    After my 550 cal burn (estimated) in the gym, I eat a 400 cal breakfast.
    The rest of the day consists of slightly smaller meals and snacks.

If I dont eat first, I wont finish the workout or I wont give it my all because my juice will have run out.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I eat after... I workout at 6 am.

This ^^