Interesting study about calories burned - whole/processed

Options
2»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    So maybe not all calories are created equal after all?

This again? Calorie is an energie measurement. The Studie is about the human body dealing with different foods.

Which ceese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

So a calorie will always stay a calorie.

Some foods have a higher energy rating (glycemic index) that others. Also, that amount of calories one actually uses from any given food substance has to be considered by what the person's microbacteria profile looks like. Gut flora is being researched as having quite a large role in whether a person becomes obese. Michael Phelps consumed 12k+ calories a day while training. At his height and weight there is no way he could have just "burned" that number of calories.

With the calories in/ calories out model, he should be freaking obese. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2177613/Michael-Phelps-12-000-calories-day-dont-doing-harm.html

Or its cause he moves so much via exercise or his calories are being miscounted.

Glycemic index is not energy rating. That was meant to rate food for diabetic people.

Gut flora is not a factor...
    Please understand the basics of nutrition before coming to conclusions of your own.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

This again? Calorie is an energie measurement. The Studie is about the human body dealing with different foods.

Which ceese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

Some foods have a higher energy rating (glycemic index) that others. Also, that amount of calories one actually uses from any given food substance has to be considered by what the person's microbacteria profile looks like. Gut flora is being researched as having quite a large role in whether a person becomes obese. Michael Phelps consumed 12k+ calories a day while training. At his height and weight there is no way he could have just "burned" that number of calories.

With the calories in/ calories out model, he should be freaking obese. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2177613/Michael-Phelps-12-000-calories-day-dont-doing-harm.html

All of this is great and true. (Well the GI may or may not be. last i checked there was tons of evidence against it. idk. but this is still not the point.)

The point is: when you are talking about Calories you are not talking about food but food-energy. 1cal of the one food might end up somewhere else than 1cal of food b. that doesn't change the amount of energy but may change how it is used.

i hope this is clear now. i feel like i'm explaining this all day...

it's more about using the therm right really. so we know what we are talking about.

edit. this has not much to do with the studie though. just with OP statement above.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

All of this is great and true. (Well the GI may or may not be. last i checked there was tons of evidence against it. idk. but this is still not the point.)

The point is: when you are talking about Calories you are not talking about food but food-energy. 1cal of the one food might end up somewhere else than 1cal of food b. that doesn't change the amount of energy but may change how it is used.

i hope this is clear now. i feel like i'm explaining this all day...

it's more about using the therm right really. so we know what we are talking about.

edit. this has not much to do with the studie though. just with OP statement above.
    none of it is true. talking about gut flora, defying laws of thermodynamics, and using glycemic index as a factor for weight loss.

They dont evven use GI anymore.. they use GL
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Or its cause he moves so much via exercise or his calories are being miscounted.

Glycemic index is not energy rating. That was meant to rate food for diabetic people.

Gut flora is not a factor...
    Please understand the basics of nutrition before coming to conclusions of your own.

On the topic of Phelps: he eats that for limited amounts of time, trains a lot, to put it mildly and is on massive amounts of steriods.

but that energie goes somewhere. it always does. he does not have a black hole in his stomach that absorbs all the pizza.

edit: yes linking GI to energy is def. wrong. I know nothing about bacteria though. i'm just trying preserve some respekt for physics around here.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you're telling me I'll feel full longer if I eat chicken breast and broccoli instead of eating cake? What??? STOP THE PRESSES!!!

zI36hHw.gif
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Which cheese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

yes it will. Have fun, I'm not interested in explaining how the body processes food any more, read a textbook. The study is crap and I'm too tired to explain it to you. This site, smh.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options

Which cheese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

yes it will. Have fun, I'm not interested in explaining how the body processes food any more, read a textbook. The study is crap and I'm too tired to explain it to you. This site, smh.

It would be fine with us if you decided to go elsewhere to express your angst. JS.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Excellent resource that explains what happens when you eat, and also how to properly struicture your calorie/macro goals. http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/