Diet/zero-calorie soft drinks?

Options
13»

Replies

• Overdr1ve
    Overdr1ve Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    No-one knows if there's a downside to weight loss, no-one has ever done a proper study.

The University of Colorado Anschutz Health and Wellness Center are roughly in the middle of the first clinical study right now:

http://www.anschutzwellness.com/news-0/water-vs-zero-calorie-diet-drinks

Volunteers are to try three months of weight loss followed by nine months of weight maintenance. Half will drink water, half will drink diet drinks.

You'll either need to wait until 2014 when the results are published or experiment on yourself.

As for the "chemical x = evil/bad/whatever and they don't tell you", keep in mind that 100 billion+ sodas are consumed worldwide /every day/, that's a pretty large data sample. Draw your own conclusions and if you're really worried ask a professional, not some people on the internet who may or may not have any actual knowledge (not intending to offend anyone here).
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    The truth? They are terrible for you.

However, if you're someone like me (or even close to), they are a better alternative than regular pop. I was raised drinking nothing but pop and some juice, so it's been hell trying to give up pop. Basically, I really can't cut it out completely yet. I've gone from like 5-6 cans a day to one or two. My husband won't drink diet pop, so we keep the regular stuff in the house. I try to limit myself to maybe one of those a day if any at all. At work I choose diet.

The artificial sweeteners are horrendous for you. Some people do get ill from consuming them but most people don't. The big problem is with aspartame. It turns into formaldehyde if it gets over 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Splenda (sucralose) is a better choice but I haven't found any pop sweetened with it here. If you're trying to lose weight and artificial sweeteners don't make you ill I wouldn't worry too much about drinking diet pop. Yes, the artificial sweeteners are bad for you. Yes, they will help you lose weight. I've never heard of anyone dying from them. If you're only planning on drinking 3-4 cans a week you'll be fine. Just so long as you're not one of those people that are all "it's diet--it's just as healthy as water!". However, you don't strike me as one of those people haha.

There's a diet Coke made with Splenda-it has a silver and yellow package
    http://inventors.about.com/od/advertisingmedia/ss/Coca_Cola_Comp_4.htm
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    you will get A LOT of varying differences here

Me personally my drink of choice is coke zero w/ or w/o cherry - every pound I have lost is drenched in coke zero, I probably drink about 3-4 cans a day - I have no fear of aspartame.

but be prepared to be a linked a lot of articles out of context about how I am wrong

^^THIS^^ I've been drinking diet soft drinks for 34 years because I'm type 1 diabetic. Haven't keeled over yet from aspartame. I'll keep taking my chances. :drinker:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    3-4 per day for about 10 years. Not worried about it. If there was some overwhelming evidence that they cause harm we would know by now. 3-4 per week will be just fine.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    That's about how many cans of diet coke I drink a week. I drink them because I love them:)
  • andrewrayhons
    andrewrayhons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I used to drink about 6 or 7 cans of diet caffine free dr pepper a day. I switched over to water, and don't drink any soft drinks now, and the week I quit, I noticed that I lost maybe 2 or 3 pounds more than normal. I feel a lot better now as well, as I was having some digestive issues that have seemed to be cleared up. Also, like everyone says, water helps fill you up, so you don't eat as much, and it doesn't give you cravings like soft drinks seem to.

No medical evidence here, just my experience with it, and I don't think I'll go back as I feel so much better lately without soft drinks than when I was drinking them.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    When I die, if it's linked directly to aspartame well, then...womp. I love coke zero. I've also lost almost 30 pounds. The only immediate downside (besides eating away at tooth enamel) is some people suggest that the sugar imitation causes you to have cravings since your body is trying to digest food that isn't there....but a coke always fills me up! So, if it works for you, go for it!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Now I know that zero-calories are not fattening at all so I was wondering if I can have like 3-4 cans a week and be safe?
    What is the downside to drinking those drinks when it comes to weight loss?

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

You will not get a definitive answer from here or anywhere for that matter on this subject. Personally, I drink one diet soda a day. I stick with moderation and enjoy :drinker:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    The big problem is with aspartame. It turns into formaldehyde if it gets over 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Same problem when ingesting citrus fruits. Or tomatoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you for making that point. There are a number of naturally-occurring substances that convert to small amounts of formaldehyde.

Much, much less than the amount that the liver can successfully process, however.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love Coke Zero, and I have a can a day of either that or diet Coke. I have never gained weight because of it, and I love it. I do have a stomach sensitivity to sucralose but aspartame doesn't bother me.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    EVIL things.

Okay, maybe not evil. However here's my pitch: low calorie sweeteners aren't worth it and change the way your taste buds act. When I quit Splenda, I had actual withdrawal symptoms of headache and moodiness. It took nearly a month for my taste sensors to return to normal and for me to taste natural sweeteners. I also have found that most "low fat" and "low calorie" sweeteners have side effects unrelated to their calorie count. For example, when I have a Diet Coke, I crave crap food - butter, salt, and more more more.

I have found by eliminating the fake stuff, I actually consume fewer calories. I used to love Crystal Light lemonade... thought I was doing something good and saving calories. When I switched to real lemonade with sugar - I found I could get by on just 8 ounces, and my total daily calorie intake actually went DOWN.

This is all my opinion, but there is some research about obesity rates being higher for people that consume diet sodas.

I've had good success with losing weight, and when I look back - it really started after I started eating the real stuff.

Either way, enjoy and the best of luck to you!

Everyone I know that drinks that stuff regularly is fat. Just drink water.
  • katy_ziats
    katy_ziats Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since the beginning of the year I have been drinking Cherry Coke zero rather than the original. However just like with regular pop/soda I drink it maybe once a day at the most, normally with dinner.

I persoanlly dont see it as an issue, and like with everything else in this world, if you eat/drink evberything in moderation I do not think it will be a problem. Neither me or my husband has had any ossues since we started drinking it. Even after the millions of articles I have read about the artifical sweeteners, I still do not mind drinking ti about 3-5 days/week.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know lots of people that have issues with diet soda - maybe it gives them a headache or maybe they hate the fact it has all the chemicals in it.

That being said I still have me a diet soda here and there. I don't buy it for myself but if I'm out in a restaurant I'll have one. Or maybe in the afternoon for a sweet treat. I'm a huge water drinker - seriously I drink over a gallon a day!! My "justification" for drinking the occassional diet soda is that I'm drinking a boat load of water everyday...so what will one diet soda hurt?

I also will have one of those drink packets (like Crystal Light) mixed in with my water once a day. Once again - a little afternoon treat to calm the sweet tooth.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I learn from personal experience not a health blog link. I quit drinking regular soda 2 1/2 years ago and switched to diets and I've lost weight just fine. I drink at least 1 a day.

Anything is bad for you if you overdo it, even drinking too much water at one time will hurt you. Just have to use your common sense when it comes to such things.

Do what makes you happy. :smile: