when your skinny you don't need to work out any more?

Options

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I get it more about food - if I turn down a cake or order a salad at a restaurant, people demand to know why since I don't need to lose weight.

I used to be almost 30lbs heavier. Trust me, if I start thinking like that, you won't be calling me skinny any more.

I like eating healthy. I love working out. I'm sure a lot of people on here feel the same way, and the gym should be a place where we can all embrace a fit and healthy lifestyle regardless of our sizes.

You were right on the ball. Keep going for it!

^^^^^^^ this!
  • Missy_Monroe
    Missy_Monroe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What a terrible attitude. :indifferent:
    Be an example... because it is the ones like her that will end up losing and gaining it back. Everyone losing weight needs to understand that you have to keep it up, it is a lifestyle change.
    :happy:
    Amen! I was thinking the same thing...I understand that as a heavy person sometimes you resent those who are fit and "make it LOOK" easy...but the truth is that for majoirty of people it isn't easy. And the reality is that it is a LIFESTYLE... this woman obviously hasnt gotten to a point in her life where she realizes that; she still views working out and being healthy as a short term goal to lose weight.
  • ana137131
    ana137131 Posts: 25
    Options
    Honestly, I can understand where that lady is coming from. I know a good amount of girls who NEVER go to the gym, maybe have been a few times but in general they sit around and eat unhealthy food and don't gain a pound. The lady probably did think you have a high metabolism, aka are lucky and don't need to work out. But yes, she failed to recognize that you may not have always been that weight, perhaps you worked hard to get there, and also, being skinny is different than being toned. She wasn't hitting on you, i think she was literally confused.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I used to think that way to an extent...

Skinny people are just naturally that way and eat whatever they want, and I'm just cursed with being fat. Poor me.

I think one of the things that finally "clicked" in my head was the observation that all the thin, fit people that I knew actually walked past the donut box at work while I was helping myself to thirds, and they all talked about running and going to the gym and hiking and biking all of the time, while all I did in my spare time was watching TV and eating.

It took me a long time to realize that the majority of thin people have to watch what they eat as much as I do, and all the fit people at the gym have great bodies because they go to the gym on a regular basis. The people at the gym that have the most spectacular bodies are the people that I see every time I go. Huh. I guess there's a correlation and I'm not just unlucky....

I have come to the realization that in order to be thin, I will have to track my food every day forever, weigh myself daily forever, and engage in fitness activities forever. In order to be thin and healthy, I must be vigilant against becoming fat and unhealthy. That realization is what is different this time around. Before, when I would lose weight, I always thought that I would reach my goal and be done. Now, I finally understand that if I want to be thin for the rest of my life, I'm not done until I'm dead.
  • Missy_Monroe
    Missy_Monroe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I totally think like that woman but would never say that to anyone out loud. The thing is I feel that skinny people who come to the gym are natually thin, but just want to tone up a little bit, but they don't truly need it like the rest of us. Yes anyone can get fat by eating too much and anyone can lose 100 lbs, but I think in most cases natually thin people are just that - always have been thin. My neighbor is a size 00 and does cardio 5x a week, I honestly think she's obsessed with not gaining 1 lb. There's no need to work that hard if you're naturally bone thin.

Please refer to my previous statement. I was always skinny. But I wasn't healthy. And you can't fight Type II Diabetes without diet and exercise unless you just want to give up and take an insulin shot.

:flowerforyou:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I like to play devil's advocate to give balance sometimes. I think that what she said was dumb yes, but there is a bit of truth to it.

The body, once it becomes lean and generates muscle tends to burn more fat and calories then it did before it was lean.

For example, you could eat 2k calories per day and workout for 30 minutes and gain nothing, while that lady who was overweight could eat 1500 calories per day and workout 60 minutes and still gain weight.

When you get leaner and more muscular, the body burns fat for you while you do nothing..obviously working out and watching your calories helps, but you innately have an advantage over someone who is bigger.

Now getting into "well they shouldent have got big in the first place" is a different discussion...but just wanted to point out that while she is incorrect in saying "you dont belong in a gym" she has some truth to the fact that it is easier for you then it is for her.

The flaw in this line of thinking is that when you lose weight, you don't automatically get leaner or more muscular. You get more muscular by *using* your muscles, and forcing them to get stronger.

I got comments like the ones the OP described back when I was thinner than I am now, but skinny-fat. I also got comments to the effect of, you can eat X, because you're skinny. I think this sort of misconception is part of why (but certainty not all) of why people gain weight.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It seems that when you are heavy, people are always like, "Do you really think you should eat (all) that?" No matter what *that* is...
    Then, when you lose, or are losing weight people are all like, "Oh, you need to eat more." "You don't want to lose too much weight."
    Can't please them all, might as well please yourself! :glasses:
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work out so I can get healthy so I can work out harder so I can get healthier.

THIS!
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You were very nice to a woman that gave you a negative compliment, if such a thing exists. The reason you look good is because you worked hard for it. As I was reading what you wrote I thought the woman was going to appreciate you positive feedback but she rolled her eyes. What a shame. Unfortunately that attitude she has may be why she is where she's at, not to mention she affected your day. Her issue is not yours it would have been nice to hear that she engaged you to see if what you do could help her. That's a shame.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Nice backhanded compliment she threw your way!

Anyways- What a joke............. Clearly you have to CONTINUE to take care of you body or it will eventually start to look like hers......... :noway: And last time I checked the gym is for ANYONE who pays for a membership. Thats just as rude as saying- "the gym is for fit people- the couch is where YOU belong."

Sorry- but that just irritates me.
  • stephdg89
    stephdg89 Posts: 37
    Options
    Ohhh I get that a lot!! But mostly from family, sometimes close friends. I am pretty thin. I wear a size 4 and am 122 lbs. I used to be a size 2 and 105 lbs though, and none of my clothes fit anymore. That's what lead me to here, and my goal to get back around 110 lbs. My family bugs me to eat brownies, chips, etc every time I'm around them, because "One brownie is not going to hurt you!" or "You don't need to be so worried about what you eat. You look good. You looked like you were starving to death before." Ummm, at 105 my bmi is still like 19, which is HEALTHY!! Rolls of fat are not my idea of looking good, sorry. They are both overweight and always have been so extremely unsupportive. :( I do get how it could be "annoying" to an actual overweight person to hear someone that is thin dieting and exercising, but seriously, how do you think thin people got that way?! Or, stay that way?? I know I'm thin, but I want to be in amazing shape, muscle tone, and more self confident. So THAT is why I am working so hard! (Oh, and to not have fat rolls falling over my jeans, or not even being able to button them!!)
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'll admit that I used to think that way to an extent...

Skinny people are just naturally that way and eat whatever they want, and I'm just cursed with being fat. Poor me.

I think one of the things that finally "clicked" in my head was the observation that all the thin, fit people that I knew actually walked past the donut box at work while I was helping myself to thirds, and they all talked about running and going to the gym and hiking and biking all of the time, while all I did in my spare time was watching TV and eating.

It took me a long time to realize that the majority of thin people have to watch what they eat as much as I do, and all the fit people at the gym have great bodies because they go to the gym on a regular basis. The people at the gym that have the most spectacular bodies are the people that I see every time I go. Huh. I guess there's a correlation and I'm not just unlucky....

I have come to the realization that in order to be thin, I will have to track my food every day forever, weigh myself daily forever, and engage in fitness activities forever. In order to be thin and healthy, I must be vigilant against becoming fat and unhealthy. That realization is what is different this time around. Before, when I would lose weight, I always thought that I would reach my goal and be done. Now, I finally understand that if I want to be thin for the rest of my life, I'm not done until I'm dead.

THIS!!!
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think that I actually work out *HARDER* now that I'm in maintenance. I still have that old pair of size 22 pants hanging up in the closet to keep me in that "oh HELLZ no, never again!" mindset.

Besides... I like to eat far too much. Keeping up the workouts allows me to do just that. :drinker:
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Wow. So you assume that anyone who is thin is naturally thin and didn't work for it? That is the most ridiculous statement.

You also seem to think that there is something wrong with a thin person working hard because they don't want to gain weight? It's called staying healthy and fit. You want her to want to gain weight??

I didn't say that, I said they are there to tone up a little bit like firm up their 6 pack on an already small waist. I'm talking someone who is 135 lbs and 5'6 and looks amazing without thinking about it but wants to tone down to 116 lbs.
    Please refer to my previous statement. I was always skinny. But I wasn't healthy. And you can't fight Type II Diabetes without diet and exercise unless you just want to give up and take an insulin shot.
    Yes I know eating McDonalds daily can hurt a skinny person blood pressure.
    I think one of the things that finally "clicked" in my head was the observation that all the thin, fit people that I knew actually walked past the donut box at work while I was helping myself to thirds,
    Yes this finally clicked for me as well. I think skinny people appreciate being thin they panic at the thought of gaining a lb and thus are more disciplined at walking past the cookies at work. I'm now that person.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Too bad that people on here are assuming she'll just gain all her weight back and "she's one of those women that ____."

You are judging just as bad as she was. And I feel bad for her. She probably just started, has a heavy heart, is depressed, and sees a small, fit girl skimpering around and thinks "she doesn't need to be here." She is self-absorbed, yes, but don't you remember that mindset? Hopeless, drowning, depressed. It's not easy to think sensibly about weight and health when you are so down and depressed. I am so proud of the OP for encouraging her. People like that don't need to be judged; they aren't trying to hurt anybody. They just need motivation and to find a way to be excited about their journey, not overwhelmed. I know how it feels to literally cry after seeing a fit person. People look at fit people/losing weight with a heavy heart and think "why can't *I* do that? What is special about her? Why is she so happy about it? What happened that made her get up and do it?" but that's the point-- nobody is special (genetics aside). It's overwhelming because it is hard. But not impossible. These people need motivation!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    There have been studies that have said when you lose weight your metabolism decreases significantly. Therefore when you go to maintenance mode you still have to go to the gym and build muscle to help bring your metabolism back up or else you will be "skinny fat" and put on all the weight again + more. It's not an easy road, the lady you were talking to is just caught up so much in her current problems with weight that she doesn't realize it's a battle that goes on for the rest of your life.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Too bad that people on here are assuming she'll just gain all her weight back and "she's one of those women that ____."

You are judging just as bad as she was. And I feel bad for her. She probably just started, has a heavy heart, is depressed, and sees a small, fit girl skimpering around and thinks "she doesn't need to be here." She is self-absorbed, yes, but don't you remember that mindset? Hopeless, drowning, depressed. It's not easy to think sensibly about weight and health when you are so down and depressed. I am so proud of the OP for encouraging her. People like that don't need to be judged; they aren't trying to hurt anybody. They just need motivation and to find a way to be excited about their journey, not overwhelmed. I know how it feels to literally cry after seeing a fit person. People look at fit people/losing weight with a heavy heart and think "why can't *I* do that? What is special about her? Why is she so happy about it? What happened that made her get up and do it?" but that's the point-- nobody is special (genetics aside). It's overwhelming because it is hard. But not impossible. These people need motivation!

Well said!!!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning, in the changing room and this lady kept staring me up and down. and then she asked me if i was one of the class instructors here at the gym, because she said my body looked so amazing and in shape. i told her no, i said i just run a lot. she told me that the gym is for people like her, not people like me. bascially saying that since i'm already in shape and skinny i don't really need to be working out. why do people have that misconception that people who are skinny and in shape can eat whatever they want and not work out. how do they think, i got this way. i worked out hard to get to where i am now. and if i want to continue being a healthy weight, i need to keep going to the gym and work at it. i feel bad, cuz the woman was really over weight. i told her, that she can do it too, just have to work hard at it. and she just kinda rolled her eyes, and said, yea in like a hundred years, i would look like you. any one else ever have people tell you that you don't have to work out if your in shape already?

Who makes rude comments to another person like that? Next time anyone speaks to you that disrespectfully, tell them to eff off right and proper. #peoplesuck
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I feel sad for the lady. What a defeatist mindset. I hope your response changes that for her.

I agree because if she feels this way, then shes just going to gain back all the weight shes working to lose.
  • Todd196844
    Options
    Of course we and anyone in good shape has to continue to work out!!! I am on a journey to get to your point, and know 100% that once there, it is a lifetime of committment to working out and eating healthy to stay that way.....especially as we age. :) (Referring to myself.. LOL)